• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Earthquake!

vicekid

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

I was a rock'n and roll'n and I wasn't even in bed. We just had a sizable earthquake in Southern Calif. The first reports indicate it was a 5.0, which would rate it as a moderate quake. It happened at 8:39 pm and lasted about 15-20 seconds. I was upstairs in my townhome on the computer reading posts here, when things got a rock'n. While I have no damage and nothing fell off the walls, I sure did have a lot of my stuff moving around.

It appears the epicenter was located not to far from LAX to help you get an idea where it was located. I am sure Long Beach felt it stronger than I as they are maybe 15 miles away from the epicenter to my 30 miles. I guess the Gay Pride Event there ended in style. I hope Mark, Patrick and company whether it OK, if they were still here in Calif.

Will keep you updated. I will say, having been in numerous quakes over the years, this was rather strong, perhaps the second strongest that I've experience.

Live Long and Prosper (and stay on firm ground),

Vicekid

isnt that the san andreas fault?

Stay safe Vicekid! I'm glad to know you didn't get serious damage where you live.

Vicekid, I know what you are going through. When I was growing up down there in Buena Park, I can remember many earthquakes and the strongest one I remember I believe was in the early 70's, I think that one was the Selmar earthquake where it crumbled all of the freeways and buildings in the Simi Valley.
Keep us posted. Glad there were no serious damage or injuries. I'll go on to KABC channel 7's website and get updates.
Gary

Hey Gang,

I was a rock'n and roll'n and I wasn't even in bed. We just had a sizable earthquake in Southern Calif. The first reports indicate it was a 5.0, which would rate it as a moderate quake. It happened at 8:39 pm and lasted about 15-20 seconds. I was upstairs in my townhome on the computer reading posts here, when things got a rock'n. While I have no damage and nothing fell off the walls, I sure did have a lot of my stuff moving around.

It appears the epicenter was located not to far from LAX to help you get an idea where it was located. I am sure Long Beach felt it stronger than I as they are maybe 15 miles away from the epicenter to my 30 miles. I guess the Gay Pride Event there ended in style. I hope Mark, Patrick and company whether it OK, if they were still here in Calif.

Will keep you updated. I will say, having been in numerous quakes over the years, this was rather strong, perhaps the second strongest that I've experience.

Vicekid

OK, time to move. LOL Just kidding. I guess the Broke Straight Boys really helped rock the West coast. LOL OK, enough one liners. I hope everyone is doing well and not too much damage was done. It could happen to any of us. I live near a pretty inactive fault myself (but for how long???) It always made me wonder how the core of the planet stays in a molten state. Yet everyone tells us the best places to live are below ground because they stay temperate year round naturally. It also causes me to wonder about the stability of Geo thermal energy. That is very scary technology there. Steam pressure needs to be well regulated and I think we do a great job of it. I often wondered how fast it could go critical and blow. Oh, well enough of this banter. I am just glad everyone is OK...:thumbup:

Hey Gang,

Vicekid

Vicekid:

Glad to here you are ok and you didn't suffer any damage. Earthquakes can be scary but I was actually in one in the late 70's in Oakland that was hilarious - I was in a bowling alley at the time. Just try to imagine all the pins and balls falling down and rolling around!

Tucson has several inactive faults. The last earthquake here was May 3, 1887. It was a doosy with lots of consequences - the Santa Cruz River went underground, much of the city was damaged and several mountain tops collapsed. Geologists have estimated that it was a 7.2 on the richter scale.

Take care guy and stay safe.

Jayce

Hey Gang,

Vicekid

Good to see you are ok.
We had a quake here in the late 80's in a town called Newcastle, just north of Sydney, which did a lot of damage & cost lives. Luckily my place didn't suffer any damage & the family was safe. If I remember correctly it was 7+ (just checked - it was 5.6 not 7+) & I felt it while I was working in Sydney which is over 100miles from Newcastle.

Last edited:
Awwwww yes,i was still living in Queensland at the time,we had just been down here for a visit & were heading back we were around Tamworth when all the Army and ambulaces were passing us in the other direction.....we had no idea what had happened..

It was a big shock we had left wollongong at 3am the gong to redcliffe is about a 15 to 16 hour trip ..... thank god those days are over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwXKjOL4C8

Last edited:
Vicekid, glad to here you are ok. And sustained no damage. I hope and pray that everyone is ok out there.

Well much to my surprise there were not many aftershocks and the strongest one a 3.1 I did not even feel. I did find out that the shaking did knock down two bottle of wine in my fridge, but they did not break. (I use them only for medicinal purposes). When I went to work I did find out that we did have some damage as some glassware did get know down to the floor. But it was only a thousand dollars or so of loss. I know that closer to the epicenter, there was more damage, again nothing major.

The last big quake here in S. Calif. was last July a 5.4 that was closer to me. But I was on vacation in Norway, cruising to see a total eclipse of the sun. I heard about on board and e-mail home. No damage.

The quake was not on the San Andreas fault. It was on the Newport/Inglewood fault that goes into the Hollywood Hills, through Long Beach and down through Costa Mesa (where I work) and Newport Beach. This fault is only 7-9 miles away from me. It caused the big Long Beach Quake of 1933 at 6.7. That would be 100 time more powerful that this one and half again as close. That WOULD have cause some significant damage.

Unlike hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. where you have time to prepare, none exist for earthquakes.

If you have never been in one and you decide to visit, let me know. I'll see if I can arrange a demonstration for you.

I truly appreciate your thoughts and concerns. Well, that's another one under my belt.

Love to you all,

Vicekid

Well much to my surprise there were not many aftershocks and the strongest one a 3.1 I did not even feel. I did find out that the shaking did knock down two bottle of wine in my fridge, but they did not break. (I use them only for medicinal purposes). When I went to work I did find out that we did have some damage as some glassware did get know down to the floor. But it was only a thousand dollars or so of loss. I know that closer to the epicenter, there was more damage, again nothing major.

The last big quake here in S. Calif. was last July a 5.4 that was closer to me. But I was on vacation in Norway, cruising to see a total eclipse of the sun. I heard about on board and e-mail home. No damage.

The quake was not on the San Andreas fault. It was on the Newport/Inglewood fault that goes into the Hollywood Hills, through Long Beach and down through Costa Mesa (where I work) and Newport Beach. This fault is only 7-9 miles away from me. It caused the big Long Beach Quake of 1933 at 6.7. That would be 100 time more powerful that this one and half again as close. That WOULD have cause some significant damage.

Unlike hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. where you have time to prepare, none exist for earthquakes.

If you have never been in one and you decide to visit, let me know. I'll see if I can arrange a demonstration for you.

I truly appreciate your thoughts and concerns. Well, that's another one under my belt.

Love to you all,

Vicekid

Thank God the wine is safe :thumbup:

OK, time to move.

Where too? The MOON? At least it is basically geologically DEAD.
LOL Just kidding. I guess the Broke Straight Boys really helped rock the West coast. LOL OK, enough one liners.

I hope everyone is doing well and not too much damage was done.

None at my place.

It could happen to any of us. I live near a pretty inactive fault myself (but for how long???)

Somewhere between 1 year to 10,000 years.

It always made me wonder how the core of the planet stays in a molten state.

Mostly Radioactive decay. However it is slowly cooling and in a few billion years it will solidify.

Yet everyone tells us the best places to live are below ground because they stay temperate year round naturally.

TRUE.

It also causes me to wonder about the stability of Geo thermal energy. That is very scary technology there. Steam pressure needs to be well regulated and I think we do a great job of it.

I often wondered how fast it could go critical and blow.

Please refer to "Old Faithful".

Oh, well enough of this banter.

I am just glad everyone is OK... DITTO :thumbup:

Big Hug,

Vicekid

OK, time to move.

LOL Just kidding. I guess the Broke Straight Boys really helped rock the West coast. LOL OK, enough one liners.

None at my place.

It could happen to any of us. I live near a pretty inactive fault myself (but for how long???)

Mostly Radioactive decay. However it is slowly cooling and in a few billion years it will solidify.

Yet everyone tells us the best places to live are below ground because they stay temperate year round naturally.

TRUE.

It also causes me to wonder about the stability of Geo thermal energy. That is very scary technology there. Steam pressure needs to be well regulated and I think we do a great job of it.

Big Hug,

Vicekid

DITTO :thumbup:

Love to you all,

Vicekid

We're glad to hear that you are doing okay Vicekid. Hopefully you'll never write to say you've had The Big One unless it's the kind that leaves a smile on your face. :thumbup:

Awwwww yes,i was still living in Queensland at the time,we had just been down here for a visit & were heading back we were around Tamworth when all the Army and ambulaces were passing us in the other direction.....we had no idea what had happened..

It was a big shock we had left wollongong at 3am the gong to redcliffe is about a 15 to 16 hour trip ..... thank god those days are over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqwXKjOL4C8

Kodieboy,

That was some quake you experience. Thanks for sharing the video. Our quake was felt as far south as San Diego about 150 miles away.

As a side note, on my cruise last summer I met a very nice couple, from, your guessed it Newcastle. In fact, the last three cruises I've been on I've had someone at dinner from Down Under. I guess you folks like to cruise!!!!

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

OK, time to move.

None at my place.

TRUE.

Big Hug,

Vicekid

Nah! I was thinking more like Mars. Most of their Geothermic activity seems to have come to a crawl. Man, did I ever tell you how much I love ya Vicekid? We just need to get those star ships built as fast as possible. LOL Actually, I really believe that if we could utilize the Geothermic energy more efficiently. We could decrease the severity of Earthquake activity globally. Being able to utilize controlled pressure releases could be very beneficial. :thumbup:

Gee wiz, and I thought it was the crystal reactor built by the lumerians that worked as a power plant to produce all of that energy.:thumbup:

Maybe We really should do more to put a stop to underground nuclear bomb tests being conducted by China and Packistan, Eh! It really mess with the balance of things.

My understanding is that old faithful is not the typical gyzer. That many are very unpredictable...

Again I am glad you are OK...:thumbup:

Nah! I was thinking more like Mars.

I'll buy that!

Most of their Geothermic activity seems to have come to a crawl.

In part true, but Mars had far, far more activity vs. the moon which had very little, most of which came a billion or two years earlier while Mars was still active.

Man, did I ever tell you how much I love ya Vicekid?

NO! I'm still waiting!!!

We just need to get those star ships built as fast as possible.

I'm booked on the first flight. I just wish someone would build the damn thing!

LOL Actually, I really believe that if we could utilize the Geothermic energy more efficiently. We could decrease the severity of Earthquake activity globally. Being able to utilize controlled pressure releases could be very beneficial. :thumbup:

Your not far off here. Scientist have considered pumping water deep into the earth along know faults. Their goal was by adding water, they would lubricate the fault zone so as to make the moving landmasses pass more smoothly by each other via many smaller movements (quakes or by what we call creep) . The only problem with this is what happens if it triggers a MAJOR Quake? Who would be held responsible? There is no way to predict what would happen. Therefore, no one is willing to give it a shot.

Gee wiz, and I thought it was the crystal reactor built by the lumerians that worked as a power plant to produce all of that energy.:thumbup:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
[

Again I am glad you are OK...:thumbup:

That makes two of us.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

Man, did I ever tell you how much I love ya Vicekid?

NO! I'm still waiting!!!

I guess I will just need to show you uinstead... LOL :thumbup: