• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Blake Bennet supports gay rights

:offtopic:
Alright guys, not every forum is a debate. :offtopic:

All mark and I wanted to do was just show the cool shirt, opinions are opinions, but when your opinions hurt in a destructive non criticizing way, let's try to be civil and not argue over who's right or wrong in this.

It's just a cool shirt. :angel:

FRIENDS!:001_tongue:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here, Blake. First of all, the subject of gay marriage is not "off topic" because your t-shirt talks about "dudes marry dudes".

Secondly, the forum is meant for people to express their opinions on whatever topic they wish. And opinions are going to vary, sometimes widely. I see no posts in this thread that are destructive. It's just people expressing themselves on a subject. There were no harsh words exchanged, there were no "ad hominem" attacks, no degradation of personality or character, no incivility, and no arguing. This thread is an example of people disagreeing agreeably, a principle which I have averred since I began on the forum, and one which most forumites practice.

If you want to see "destructive" posts, look up virtually any thread about Jimmy Johnson.

Where is the hurt in a "destructive non criticizing way"?

Alright guys, not every forum is a debate.

All mark and I wanted to do was just show the cool shirt, opinions are opinions, but when your opinions hurt in a destructive non criticizing way, let's try to be civil and not argue over who's right or wrong in this.

It's just a cool shirt.

FRIENDS!:001_tongue:

Dear BLAKE:angel:,

I am sorry to say this here, but I think it is really needed to be said..."the only thing on this thread that has been "destructive non criticizing way" has been your well-meaning assertion here, which I find it to be an undeserved overreaction and not anything specifically that was leading us guys to becoming "uncivil" or "inciting hair-pulling in any form" from the presumed hairy-masses participating on the forum.

Sure, I find your shirt and what it represents cool, too. I'm proud that you are proud of it as well! But in my opinion, it is not cool to step on other people's toes when they are merely expressing their own thoughts! That is, at least I thought, the whole idea behind having a forum to encourage others to participate by expressing their views. Unfortunately, we only have a small percentage of Broke Straight Boys members who bother with the forum as it is. Lets not give others one more reason for not participating, whether deserved or not.

I have limited my participation on the forum recently due to my wrists being slapped in previous well-intentioned comments made to you in friendship, that you chose to take negatively followed by your "straddlling the fence" with some innocuous statement. Personally, I feel like, when you are telling me I am the off topic because you only meant the thread to be fun for the readers, you have taken me by force yanking me up by my ear in your "assumed role" of the "Forum Nanny" and, once rebuked, it is my fate and punishment to sit isolated in the corner in "Time Out" till further notice. I have avoided being insulent or uncivil at the time by passively taking my lumps as dished out!

On the otherhand, I want you thank you BLAKE:angel: OVERALL for boldly taking on the forum by storm head-on and re-invigorating the forum's climate with your "positive energy along the way. Besides having a truly sexy, wonderfully thin body, you have a way of dominating the conversation that has had a two-fold effect. For the good side, you have been quick to introduce new threads with topics that encourage greater participation from the forum. Your participation has been refreshing, especially for a "forum newbie"! I have often thought you must have had some background in "public relations"(no pun intended). But on the negative side, just as recently as yesterday, I had an account of a "vacation" written specifically for your thread. I took this "vacation" while in college during Spring Break, only to fear being misjudged on my writing, half-way expecting me to once again be relegated to the "Off Topic" penalty box by you because by your taste, it probably wasn't sufficiently "FUN"! Alas, this posting and your follow-up reply never came to pass because, just before submitting my response, I accidentally struck the wrong key knocking me completely off the Broke Straight Boys site and I could no longer retrive my comments once returning to Broke Straight Boys (comments that I had spent a good hour and a half or more composing). In my frustration, I raised the white flag in defeat with :WTF: emblazened on it and went on with other things off site. Obviously, you had no blame for me accidentally loosing my post before I got it posted on Broke Straight Boys

I understand how easily any e-mail can be misunderstood because you, AS THE READER, do not have the full-benefit of seeing the writer's body language or hearing the tone in the writer's voice as additional needed clues to guide your interpretation of the writer's true intent. Likewise, I don't always interpret other's writing intentions with 100% accuracy either! All I ask of you, Dear Sexy BLAKE is to avoid fanning the flames unnecessarily as you did in this very thread assuming others were intending their candid comments to be uncivil. I DON'T DOUBT YOUR SINCERITY ONE LITTLE BIT. IN FACT I AM MOST PLEASED TO HAVE THE GOOD FORTUNE OF HAVING YOU AS OUR "FORUM CHEERLEADER":cheeerleader:. I JUST DON'T EXPECT YOU TO BE "OFFICIATING AT THE FORUM GAME"! THAT'S ALL. PLEASE CONTINUE YOUR CHEERLEADING AS BEFORE WITH YOUR POSITIVE CONTRIBUTIONS ON THE FORUM. WITHOUT IT, THE FORUM CAN BE PERIODICALLY LIFELESS!

AS THIS IS PRETTY MUCH BASED ON MY PERSONAL OPINION, KINDLY TAKE ALL OF THIS WITH "A PINCH OF SALT". AFTER THINKING OVER THIS A BIT, I HOPE YOU CAN AGREE TO SPRINKLE LIGHTLY SOME OF MY SUGGESTIONS BUT AVOIDING FUNDAMENTAL CHANGES!

Sincerely offered with the best of intentions,

Stimpy

Amen! Alleluia! Amen!

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here, Blake. First of all, the subject of gay marriage is not "off topic" because your t-shirt talks about "dudes marry dudes".

Secondly, the forum is meant for people to express their opinions on whatever topic they wish. And opinions are going to vary, sometimes widely. I see no posts in this thread that are destructive. It's just people expressing themselves on a subject. There were no harsh words exchanged, there were no "ad hominem" attacks, no degradation of personality or character, no incivility, and no arguing. This thread is an example of people disagreeing agreeably, a principle which I have averred since I began on the forum, and one which most forumites practice.

If you want to see "destructive" posts, look up virtually any thread about Jimmy Johnson.

Dear Stowe1,:angel:

Amen! Alleluia! Amen!

Even in the event I may sound a little bit hypocritical coming from me regarding Jimmy, somewhere deep in my pre-transistor, pre-solid-state "rotary" wiring harness created by Thomas Edison himself, long before NASA, I get a non-connect warning signal whenever I see Jimmy in full bloom. Blame it on my "tubes" that have now been obsolete for some 50+ years. At least I can still call on my rotary pay phone for only a nickle, but PLEASE don't tell MA Bell!

Even so, I hope you appreciated my previous post as well! At least we are on the same wave length, even if I occasionally get my wires crossed and it is not exactly WiFi. Hopefully my "weighted blank coins" and old fashioned "grease fittings" will suffice at my personal pay phone on top of the pole for now!

We never knew how good we had back it in them olden days!!!!:001_wub:
Where old times are not forgotten.

Sincerely attempting to network,

Stimpy

Dear BLAKE:angel:,

I am sorry to say this here, but I think it is really needed to be said..."the only thing on this thread that has been "destructive non criticizing way" has been your well-meaning assertion here, which I find it to be an undeserved overreaction and not anything specifically that was leading us guys to becoming "uncivil" or "inciting hair-pulling in any form" from the presumed hairy-masses participating on the forum.

Sure, I find your shirt and what it represents cool, too. I'm proud that you are proud of it as well! But in my opinion, it is not cool to step on other people's toes when they are merely expressing their own thoughts! That is, at least I thought, the whole idea behind having a forum to encourage others to participate by expressing their views. Unfortunately, we only have a small percentage of Broke Straight Boys members who bother with the forum as it is. Lets not give others one more reason for not participating, whether deserved or not.

I have limited my participation on the forum recently due to my wrists being slapped in previous well-intentioned comments made to you in friendship, that you chose to take negatively followed by your "straddlling the fence" with some innocuous statement. Personally, I feel like, when you are telling me I am the off topic because you only meant the thread to be fun for the readers, you have taken me by force yanking me up by my ear in your "assumed role" of the "Forum Nanny" and, once rebuked, it is my fate and punishment to sit isolated in the corner in "Time Out" till further notice. I have avoided being insulent or uncivil at the time by passively taking my lumps as dished out!

On the otherhand, I want you thank you BLAKE:angel: OVERALL for boldly taking on the forum by storm head-on and re-invigorating the forum's climate with your "positive energy along the way. Besides having a truly sexy, wonderfully thin body, you have a way of dominating the conversation that has had a two-fold effect. For the good side, you have been quick to introduce new threads with topics that encourage greater participation from the forum. Your participation has been refreshing, especially for a "forum newbie"! I have often thought you must have had some background in "public relations"(no pun intended). But on the negative side, just as recently as yesterday, I had an account of a "vacation" written specifically for your thread. I took this "vacation" while in college during Spring Break, only to fear being misjudged on my writing, half-way expecting me to once again be relegated to the "Off Topic" penalty box by you because by your taste, it probably wasn't sufficiently "FUN"! Alas, this posting and your follow-up reply never came to pass because, just before submitting my response, I accidentally struck the wrong key knocking me completely off the Broke Straight Boys site and I could no longer retrive my comments once returning to Broke Straight Boys (comments that I had spent a good hour and a half or more composing). In my frustration, I raised the white flag in defeat with :WTF: emblazened on it and went on with other things off site. Obviously, you had no blame for me accidentally loosing my post before I got it posted on Broke Straight Boys

I understand how easily any e-mail can be misunderstood because you, AS THE READER, do not have the full-benefit of seeing the writer's body language or hearing the tone in the writer's voice as additional needed clues to guide your interpretation of the writer's true intent. Likewise, I don't always interpret other's writing intentions with 100% accuracy either! All I ask of you, Dear Sexy BLAKE is to avoid fanning the flames unnecessarily as you did in this very thread assuming others were intending their candid comments to be uncivil. I DON'T DOUBT YOUR SINCERITY ONE LITTLE BIT. IN FACT I AM MOST PLEASED TO HAVE THE GOOD FORTUNE OF HAVING YOU AS OUR "FORUM CHEERLEADER":cheeerleader:. I JUST DON'T EXPECT YOU TO BE "OFFICIATING AT THE FORUM GAME"! THAT'S ALL. PLEASE CONTINUE YOUR CHEERLEADING AS BEFORE WITH YOUR POSITIVE CONTRIBUTIONS ON THE FORUM. WITHOUT IT, THE FORUM CAN BE PERIODICALLY LIFELESS!

AS THIS IS PRETTY MUCH BASED ON MY PERSONAL OPINION, KINDLY TAKE ALL OF THIS WITH "A PINCH OF SALT". AFTER THINKING OVER THIS A BIT, I HOPE YOU CAN AGREE TO SPRINKLE LIGHTLY SOME OF MY SUGGESTIONS BUT AVOIDING FUNDAMENTAL CHANGES!

Sincerely offered with the best of intentions,

Stimpy

Wow Stimpy...

You are entitled to your opinions on everything in here. It's just that I'm not seeing all of this the way you are. Just about any of us who have posted a thread in here have had the experience of watching it go off topic in ways that we didn't necessarily like. For newer people especially it's not all that unusual for them to express some dismay that what they thought would be one conversation turned into a completely different one. I don't see Blake acting like a moderator or anything of that nature by wishing that any thread of his (or even someone else's) had gone differently. I'm sure that Blake is not going to lose any sleep over a thread going from talk of a t-shirt to one discussing the pros and cons of gay marriage. Obviously the topic of gay marriage drew more takers than talking about a t-shirt. Oh well... C'est la vie! haha

There are plenty of other threads to keep us entertained with more amusing topics if that is our pleasure. As far as losing posts that we have spent an hour or more composing...believe me Stimpy, I feel your pain. If you are aware of the copy and paste method of transferring text from one screen to another I suggest you try that for future forum postings that are lengthy and/or time consuming. Create the post on a document page that you can keep hitting "Save" on. That way if the power goes out, your internet connection falters, the Broke Straight Boys site connection falters, you hit a wrong key or whatever...then you don't lose every bit of your work.

Then once you are done with your post, you can transfer the whole composition in seconds to a Broke Straight Boys posting. If you don't know how to use the copy and paste method of transferring text from one site to another, you can ask any computer savvy person in your real life, or someone in here could explain it to you in writing. It's a lifesaver for lengthy and time consuming posts.

I for one would still be very happy to read your post about your vacation...if you choose to try again. And I suspect that Blake would too. And that's regardless of how "fun" it might be. :)

Last edited:
Go Blake! haha

Are you trying to get us to luv you even more than we already do? :001_wub:

If he wanted to accomplish that, we would have to have a photo of him in that shirt and nothing else!:001_tongue:

What?

:offtopic:
Alright guys, not every forum is a debate. :offtopic:

It's just a cool shirt.

FRIENDS!
i am quite confused! when i saw your shirt, i thought of the cause referenced by it.
after months and now years, i have spent hours walking and talking about the subject of your cool. i am invested in this cause.
i support what is written on your shirt, not for myself, but for those who wish to avail themselves.
i missed the hurtful language being used. my comprehension is failing me. :wtf::angel:
nice shirt by the way!

This post is totally "off topic", but this is a plea to Stimpy. PLEASE do take the time to rewrite your "Spring Break" story on the vacation thread. The thought of college boys on spring break is a boner inducing image in my thought process. I spent many years staying in motels on the strip in Ft Lauderdale for a number of years in the 1980's. Spring break, college boys. alcohol, drugs, sex, and rock n roll.

Please Stimpy. I do want to hear your story, in as much detail as you feel like sharing. (Even if the college boy's don't wind up naked together, I still want to read it).

This forum is a refreshing place where we can express our real, true thoughts, and not have to sugar coat what we say, as we need to do in "real life".

This forum is a refreshing place where we can express our real, true thoughts, and not have to sugar coat what we say, as we need to do in "real life".

Well fuck, I',m just gonna say it, and yeah it probably will come out wrong, but I care enough to say that if you feel you have to "sugar coat" what you say, then you are not living a "real life." I know, I'm not a guy, I'm not gay, and this site attracts prodominately gay males, but I REALLY do want you to be happy and as nieve as I am, or choose to be, you need to tell those around you who are making you feel like you are acting, to FUCK OFF! I know, you and I do not see eye to eye on things (sports comes to mind) but I still value you as a person and I can't be the only one who thinks that way. So, I ask you to follow the advice of a woman you do not know, who thinks you are pretty awesome, and find a home, place, job, friend, lover...all those things or people that look at you and will appreciate YOU...you ain't got to wear "no candy" for me, I think you are sweet and a treat the way you are...anyone else's ideas on this?

Wow Stimpy...

You are entitled to your opinions on everything in here. It's just that I'm not seeing all of this the way you are. Just about any of us who have posted a thread in here have had the experience of watching it go off topic in ways that we didn't necessarily like. For newer people especially it's not all that unusual for them to express some dismay that what they thought would be one conversation turned into a completely different one. I don't see Blake acting like a moderator or anything of that nature by wishing that any thread of his (or even someone else's) had gone differently. I'm sure that Blake is not going to lose any sleep over a thread going from talk of a t-shirt to one discussing the pros and cons of gay marriage. Obviously the topic of gay marriage drew more takers than talking about a t-shirt. Oh well... C'est la vie! haha

Dear tampa:

The point I was making is that the topic of gay marriage was not off topic. The name of the thread was "Blake Bennet Supports Gay Rights", not "Blake Bennet Has A Cool T-Shirt". And on top of that the t-shirt in question said "Some Dudes Marry Dudes. Get Over It." If that doesn't make gay rights and gay marriage topical, then I don't know what it does. And I think Stimpy was just saying he supported that view.

Dear tampa:

The point I was making is that the topic of gay marriage was not off topic. The name of the thread was "Blake Bennet Supports Gay Rights", not "Blake Bennet Has A Cool T-Shirt". And on top of that the t-shirt in question said "Some Dudes Marry Dudes. Get Over It." If that doesn't make gay rights and gay marriage topical, then I don't know what it does. And I think Stimpy was just saying he supported that view.

Dear Stimpy,

If you read between the lines of what I was saying I hope you'll see that we are saying the same thing in our own way. I think that Mark expected this post to go differently. We know that Blake did. From their perspectives the thread went off topic and went from something that was just supposed to be cute and fun originally, and turned into a sometimes testy but not uncivil exchange about the merits, benefits and usefulness of gay marriage. As you say, the thread's very title opened the door to the discussion of gay marriage.

Good men and women can disagree over whether any threads go off topic. In the end though the best direction a thread can go is where there is the most interest and the greatest exchange of ideas. And that's true regardless of who or how many people might have wished for a different direction. If those very people choose to write posts expressing their disappointment I don't see that as inherently wrong either. In here we are all entitled to an opinion. While others of course are also free to disagree with those posts.

you know i when i saw that tee shirt, i did not realize that it was intended to be a fashion statement.
the title of the thread threw me off, i think.
i wear tee shirts and sweatshirts with sayings on them. i find them to be great ice breakers. i live for lively discussion and miss the old bullshit sessions from my college days. i think that i why i enjoy this forum so much.
i apologize to both mark and blake for turning their cute tee shirt thread into a reason to support to cause referenced on that shirt and a big thank you for the support thread. my bad!

I don't see a need to apologize Another1. A majority of people chose and maybe still choose to talk about gay marriage. IMHO

This post is totally "off topic", but this is a plea to Stimpy. PLEASE do take the time to rewrite your "Spring Break" story on the vacation thread. The thought of college boys on spring break is a boner inducing image in my thought process. I spent many years staying in motels on the strip in Ft Lauderdale for a number of years in the 1980's. Spring break, college boys. alcohol, drugs, sex, and rock n roll.

Please Stimpy. I do want to hear your story, in as much detail as you feel like sharing. (Even if the college boy's don't wind up naked together, I still want to read it).

Well fuck, I',m just gonna say it, and yeah it probably will come out wrong, but I care enough to say that if you feel you have to "sugar coat" what you say, then you are not living a "real life." I know, I'm not a guy, I'm not gay, and this site attracts prodominately gay males, but I REALLY do want you to be happy and as nieve as I am, or choose to be, you need to tell those around you who are making you feel like you are acting, to FUCK OFF! I know, you and I do not see eye to eye on things (sports comes to mind) but I still value you as a person and I can't be the only one who thinks that way. So, I ask you to follow the advice of a woman you do not know, who thinks you are pretty awesome, and find a home, place, job, friend, lover...all those things or people that look at you and will appreciate YOU...you ain't got to wear "no candy" for me, I think you are sweet and a treat the way you are...anyone else's ideas on this?
I was actually responding to Stimpy, telling him to feel free to tell his "spring break" story here and to feel free to tell us exactly what he thinks, and not to worry how someone may look at what he says, as this is a place where we can feel totally free to speak our minds, and be ourselves.

Unfortunately the real world is not an idealistic place where we can speak our true feelings about situations, but instead we do need to "sugar coat", and temper our remarks to our superiors at work, to our business associates, to our friends and family too.

Larry David, who is a co-creator of Seinfeld, has a marvelous program called "Curb Your Enthusiasm", where he is a character based on the real Larry, but who speaks his mind to the world. It is a hilarious show, but I recently saw Larry interviewed on a program called "Inside Comedy", hosted by David Steinberg. Larry said that the character that he plays on Curb Your Enthusiasm, is the Larry that he wishes he could be in everyday life.

My whole point is that here on this forum, we can all be the Larry David from the HBO show, and express ourselves in a way that might be considered rude, or self serving in our politically correct real lives. I enjoy the freedom that the forum gives us, and would hate to see people feel stymied to express themselves, based on another forumites potential negative reaction to a post.

That is all that I was trying to say in my post. I hope that I was able to clarify my comments now.

Dear tampa:

Dear Stimpy,

If you read between the lines of what I was saying I hope you'll see that we are saying the same thing in our own way. I think that Mark expected this post to go differently. We know that Blake did. From their perspectives the thread went off topic and went from something that was just supposed to be cute and fun originally, and turned into a sometimes testy but not uncivil exchange about the merits, benefits and usefulness of gay marriage. As you say, the thread's very title opened the door to the discussion of gay marriage.

Good men and women can disagree over whether any threads go off topic. In the end though the best direction a thread can go is where there is the most interest and the greatest exchange of ideas. And that's true regardless of who or how many people might have wished for a different direction. If those very people choose to write posts expressing their disappointment I don't see that as inherently wrong either. In here we are all entitled to an opinion. While others of course are also free to disagree with those posts.

Dear tampa:

After I read what I had written after it was posted (quote #1 of this post), I wanted to add something to speak to Mark's intention, but my five minute editing window had expired. So here's what I had planned to add to what I wrote quoted above:

"I don't know what was in Mark's mind when he started this thread. I can only infer that he meant to show us that here we have an avowed straight Broke Straight Boys model who has taken the site and forum by storm and won many hearts, and he is a supporter of gay rights. The basis for my inference is the fact that he named the thread "Blake Bennet Supports Gay Rights" and not "Blake Bennet has a Cool T-shirt".

Moreover, I just don't see anywhere on this thread where things got "testy" even in a civil way.

Nevertheless, I do agree with you that there are instances where a thread can go off topic by nature of something mentioned in a post that can open up a whole new line of dialogue. Reminds me of my Ancient World History professor in college. He was famous for doing that. In one 45 minute class he went from the ancient Greek legal system to FDR's attempt to pack the Supreme Court - talk about heads spinning-lol!!!

"I don't know what was in Mark's mind when he started this thread. I can only infer that he meant to show us that here we have an avowed straight Broke Straight Boys model who has taken the site and forum by storm and won many hearts, and he is a supporter of gay rights.

Moreover, I just don't see anywhere on this thread where things got "testy" even in a civil way.

I agree Stowe !:001_smile:

And...if I had a do-over, I would replace the word "testy" with the word "strident". As that would more aptly describe the strength of some people's convictions on the subject of gay marriage without inferring any inclination to be unpleasant in their delivery of said opinions. :wink:

Blake, It is was a wonderful idea and it IS a cool shirt. I, for one, thank you for wearing it and I'm sure neither you or Mark wanted to start this debate. I fully support the intent of this thread and your efforts with regard to everything you do for and on Broke Straight Boys You are such a breath of fresh air and so much appreciated by many of us. Please don't let this debate dampen your spirit or enthusiasm. I mentioned on one of your threads earlier that there would be threads that were good and not so good. But, I guess when you move to the public spotlight, things get a bit more complicated. You are a very special guy and I hope you'll continue to post here and keep that big smile on your face and on the faces of so many of us. Thank you !!!!!

well butter my butt and call me a bun. a discussion in which most commenters were saying the same thing each in their own way is hardly what i call a debate.
i think the time has come for me to step back from the forum and continue this discussion in the real world where it will be on topic, in many conversations with friends and power bokers.
i am going to spend the next three weeks off line.
will return for the first scene of the second year.
thanks to all and be excellent to each other.

cool tee shirt!

Wow............I have tried to respond to this so many times, and just couldn't. Everyone's story is personal and different, but I think that there are very few people that could afford to wholeheartedly embrace this way of living.

The thought of telling my elderly, religious, republican grandparents to "Fuck Off," because they don't share my more liberal and less religious views, just brings me to tears. The thought of telling my friends to "Fuck Off' when they get offended by my social/political views...........The thought of telling my co-workers or clients to "Fuck Off" when we disagree on lifestyle or life choices, would leave me jobless, and I love my job.

Someone much older than me, that taught me so much while I was growing up said that........."The fact that the love of family and friends is supposed to be unconditional, should not change the fact that everyone of those family and friends deserve your respect, your common courtesy, and your best manners." Knowing that you and a family member, friend, or boss have different views on something that is important to you, doesn't mean that it has to be a fight, it may mean that it is a subject to avoid, so feelings don't get hurt. You can appreciate each other and still feel differently about things.......

..........My grandfather and I never discuss politics or religion, it is just better that way.

I find it quite entertaining when I read some of these threads. They can be quite entertaining, especially after a hard days work. How a simple remark by Mark, Blake supports gay rights, and a cool, classic shirt got this thread going in some many places. It has taken on a life of its own. It meanders like a slow moving river with rapids and slow zones.

Mark, Thanks for starting this. Blake, thanks for taking a position.

Live Long and Prosper,

Vicekid

" The reason so many people oppose gay marrige is that the minute you let two men marry each other, the next thing is people will want to marry their dog!"

I actually heard that argument/debate between a group of people at a diner one night. Amazing!

-J