• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

35 years ago

stowe1

Ye Olde Curmudgeon
Reaction score
35 years ago on this date - July 13, 1985 - a concert was held (viewed worldwide) to help the starving people in Africa. It was seen by 75,000 live at the old Wembley Stadium in London and 100,000 at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia. It was viewed on television by about 1.5 billion courtesy of 13 satellites (The Olympics in the previous year had 3}. If you want to see who performed where google Live Aid. But at Wembley only one act stood out above the rest. And that was Queen. The band's contemporaries have said that it was the greatest live rock gig ever. As time went on the vast majority in the music industry - executives, critics, and artists - continue to say the same thing. As recently as 2005 a poll done by BBC News resulted in the same showing.

To remember Live Aid, and to honor Freddie, Roger, Brian, and Deacy I'm presenting Queen's Live Aid set in its remastered format (really upgrades the color and amps up the sound). Take the time (20 mins.) to listen to some truly great music and see an awesome performance. Enjoy!!

Thank you for remembering that event Stowe. As I recall it was on a Saturday and several networks were televising the concerts from Philadelphia and London. I remember Bob Geldof of the Boomtown Rats had organized the event and the only song I knew of theirs was, "I Don't Like Sundays". I tuned in on television throughout the day mainly to see Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, David Bowie and others. I was aware of Queen, from their huge hit Bohemian Rhapsody and their following top ten singles. But it wasn't until I saw the movie, "Bohemian Rhapsody" that I realized that they had broken up and how Freddy rejoined the group fighting AIDS for this performance. I will definitely check out your concert video later tonight Stowe. Thank you for bringing this anniversary to my attention. It is amazing that it has been 35 years, but I guess as we age, so many events of our lifetimes from the past seem like it was just a few years ago.

Queen's performance at Live Aid was terrific, as this video makes amply clear. Mercury was a terrific performer, and remained so until he died too soon. None of that is in question, but bear in mind, very little of what is depicted in "Bohemian Rhapsody" is historically accurate. Other than the onstage stuff, the stuff about Live Aid is pretty much made up.