• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Woodstock 45 years later

mikeyank

Long time forumite
Reaction score
1969 was a monumental year, with a man walking on the moon, the New York Mets winning the World Series, (much to my chagrin) and The Woodstock Music & Art Fair - "An Aquarian Exposition: 3 Days of Peace & Music". I was home for the summer from my first year away at college, and the rock radio station in New York City at the time, WNEW-FM had been heavily promoting the weekend, and I was asked to go with several guys from my summer job, but I declined. Initially with all the reports on the news that weekend of the traffic, the overcrowding, the lack of food and the rain made me glad I was home in my parent's house that weekend, but in retrospect it would have been a hell of a memory, but at least we have the music and the movie to make us feel like we might have been there.

That weekend proved to the world that the rock and roll culture had turned a corner moving the musical experience into the next level. We met Jimmy Hendrix, The Who, Sly and the Family Stone, the underrated but incredible Riche Havens, Canned Heat, and even Sha Na Na for comic relief, and those are just off the top of my head. Wikipedia, as usual has the complete list of acts and story of the weekend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock

And of course we got to see the shirtless and sometimes naked hippies in the mud and practicing make love and not war. It was an amazing memory, even if I never made the trip upstate to Bethel NY, myself.

th

th

th

The Music

And of course there was the music and some of the greatest acts of our time were there to perform at what became a free concert.

th

th

th

th

th

Woodstock - Ten Years After - I'm Going Home (Live)

This is one of my favorite songs from the concert, performed on August 17, 1969, from the Woodstock movie, featuring the very sexy Alvin Lee. And if you watch and listen to it, blast your speakers at maximum volume to appreciate eleven minutes and twenty four seconds of some great rock music!

Santana:SOUL SACRIFICE:Woodstock Music Festival, August, 1969

Once I get started viewing the fantastic music of that magical weekend of 45 years ago, it's hard to stop. Carlos Santana ----- WOW!!!!

Unfortunately I was going through my own woodstock from the late 60's to the early 70's. The only thing I remember from that period of my life was the fact I came out of it alive. 1969? Hmm! Is that the year I went clubbing in Tampa one Friday Night and woke up in Miami the next morning? Never mind. No use stressing out right now trying to remember that extraterrestrial time of my life.

Peace out, man!

alien.jpg

Last edited:
JOE COCKER -With A Little Help From My Friends- 1969 Woodstock..

One more iconic song from The Woodstock Music & Art Fair - "An Aquarian Exposition: 3 Days of Peace & Music". Joe Cocker performing the Beatles song from the Sargent Peppers album in his frantic spastic way that was immortalized by the late John Belushi during the early days of Saturday Night Live. But this is the real Joe Cocker, cutting loose rocking out!!!!

Unfortunately I was going through my own woodstock from the late 60's to the early 70's. The only thing I remember from that period of my life was the fact I came out of it alive. 1969? Hmm! Is that the year I went clubbing in Tampa one Friday Night and woke up in Miami the next morning? Never mind. No use stressing out right now trying to remember that extraterrestrial time of my life.

Peace out, man!

View attachment 12831
I'm sure you had a great "lost weekend" Louis, but you missed a hell of a concert, that I attended in spirit, if not in person. I was glued to my FM radio all weekend listening to the live reports and some of the music from Max Yasgur's farm in Bethel, New York.

By the way, this is the transcript of when the farmer Max Yasgur addressed the throngs at the festival. it was a very cool talk from an upstate farmer.

I’m a farmer…(interrupted by a cheer from the audience)…
I don’t know how to speak to twenty people at one time, let alone a crowd like this. But I think you people have proven something to the world — not only to the Town of Bethel, or Sullivan County, or New York State; you’ve proven something to the world. This is the largest group of people ever assembled in one place. We have had no idea that there would be this size group, and because of that you’ve had quite a few inconveniences as far as water, food, and so forth. Your producers have done a mammoth job to see that you’re taken care of… they’d enjoy a vote of thanks. But above that, the important thing that you’ve proven to the world is that a half a million kids — and I call you kids because I have children that are older than you are — a half million young people can get together and have three days of fun and music and have nothing but fun and music, and I – God Bless You for it!”

Peace out, man!

View attachment 12831
I'm sure you had a great "lost weekend" Louis, but you missed a hell of a concert, that I attended in spirit, if not in person. I was glued to my FM radio all weekend listening to the live reports and some of the music from Max Yasgur's farm in Bethel, New York.

By the way, this is the transcript of when the farmer Max Yasgur addressed the throngs at the festival. It was a very cool talk from an upstate farmer.

I’m a farmer…(interrupted by a cheer from the audience)…
I don’t know how to speak to twenty people at one time, let alone a crowd like this. But I think you people have proven something to the world — not only to the Town of Bethel, or Sullivan County, or New York State; you’ve proven something to the world. This is the largest group of people ever assembled in one place. We have had no idea that there would be this size group, and because of that you’ve had quite a few inconveniences as far as water, food, and so forth. Your producers have done a mammoth job to see that you’re taken care of… they’d enjoy a vote of thanks. But above that, the important thing that you’ve proven to the world is that a half a million kids — and I call you kids because I have children that are older than you are — a half million young people can get together and have three days of fun and music and have nothing but fun and music, and I – God Bless You for it!”

th

the 60's and the 70's had their moments. I remember many of them filled with happiness and some with sadness. Woodstock was a happiness moment. 500,000 people in one spot. peace and happiness!

Well,

From my perspective, the greatest musical moment of 1969, was Radu Lupu winning first place in the Leeds International Pianoforte Competition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radu_Lupu

So many damned hippies, on here. . . . ;-)))

"A" :smiley-sex022:

P.S. I suppose I may just have to leave Jon a couple of my Radu Lupu records, when I croak, just so that he knows one of the greatest musical geniuses of our time, made his name in Jon's home-town. ;-)

*Radu Lupu plays Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb7_NccJU-k

Young Radu Lupu.jpg

AMBI - Thanks for introducing me to Lupu. He is a breath of fresh air. As to your being disgruntled by "hippies". It is possible to be both. As a young child, my piano teacher introduced me to classical music and I love it. It's fun to play. But I did go to a liberal university and became a hippie for a couple of years before the military. I am glad for my appreciation of both. I also love Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Thanks again.

AMBI - Thanks for introducing me to Lupu. He is a breath of fresh air. As to your being disgruntled by "hippies". It is possible to be both. As a young child, my piano teacher introduced me to classical music and I love it. It's fun to play. But I did go to a liberal university and became a hippie for a couple of years before the military. I am glad for my appreciation of both. I also love Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Thanks again.

LOL, Kyle - I was just teasing about the "hippie" part ;-)

"A" XOXOXOXOXO