• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

VA Benifits

gwr19569424

Reaction score
I finally got around to getting signed up with the local VA Hospital at American Lake near Tacoma back in April.
I really feel that I had better get enrolled since I am a vet and proudly served in the Army from 1976-1980 and discharged with an Honorable.
I have spoken to a few people the use the VA for medical insurance needs and they have sometimes really slammed the VA for their lack of quality care they give their vets, but since I have been dealing with them, I have had nothing but positive results and the health care team have been really great and have answered alot of my questions.
I went in for my Intake appointment and then a few weeks after that I was scheduled for a Pulmonary Function Test. The gentleman that did the test told me the same thing as the intake doctor told me that I really need to quit smoking, but neither one preached to me about it. I must confess that I did have lung cancer. Was diagnosed with it back in 2001. Went through all of the radiation and chemotherapy treatments and came out good to go. Looks as if I dodged this bullet. I am still smoking but have cut back quite a bit from what I was smoking.
Today, I went and had an eye exam done and got a prescription for new glasses after wearing the same pair for almost 14 years. Just couldn't afford it and not having any insurance. I am thankful for VA picking up the tab. The only thing I have to pay for is a copay on any medications that I need.

The reason I bring this up is because if I am not mistaking, Jayman was in the VA Hospital for a while according to one of his threads that he posted and I didn't see anywhere, where Jayman has had any negative experiences with them.

The VA is there to help us Veterans and we should all be thankful for that. I am.

Enough of my rambling on.

Gary

I finally got around to getting signed up with the local VA Hospital at American Lake near Tacoma back in April.
I really feel that I had better get enrolled since I am a vet and proudly served in the Army from 1976-1980 and discharged with an Honorable.
I have spoken to a few people the use the VA for medical insurance needs and they have sometimes really slammed the VA for their lack of quality care they give their vets, but since I have been dealing with them, I have had nothing but positive results and the health care team have been really great and have answered alot of my questions.
I went in for my Intake appointment and then a few weeks after that I was scheduled for a Pulmonary Function Test. The gentleman that did the test told me the same thing as the intake doctor told me that I really need to quit smoking, but neither one preached to me about it. I must confess that I did have lung cancer. Was diagnosed with it back in 2001. Went through all of the radiation and chemotherapy treatments and came out good to go. Looks as if I dodged this bullet. I am still smoking but have cut back quite a bit from what I was smoking.
Today, I went and had an eye exam done and got a prescription for new glasses after wearing the same pair for almost 14 years. Just couldn't afford it and not having any insurance. I am thankful for VA picking up the tab. The only thing I have to pay for is a copay on any medications that I need.

The reason I bring this up is because if I am not mistaking, Jayman was in the VA Hospital for a while according to one of his threads that he posted and I didn't see anywhere, where Jayman has had any negative experiences with them.

The VA is there to help us Veterans and we should all be thankful for that. I am.

Gary

You are right. My experience was nothing but positive. In fact I would say if the treatment I received at the VA is a sample of what gov't run managed care would be like, I am all for it... My doctors were nothing less than through. I was bumped a head of other appointments for a sleep study and I was sent to the ICU for cardiology and pulmonary studies. My treatment team had answers for me within three days.

I only had one bad moment and it was after they had me on lasix for two days. They needed to get an antecubital needle stick at my elbow joint to do a contrast MRI. My veins and arteries had shrunk as a result of the lasix. Unfortunately without the contrast study they could not have conclusively given me any answers. So, I endured 20 attempts at them sticking me with an 18 Gage Owens needle before on lady finally got it.:cursing: Once that was over everything went fine. Sadistic, yes I know... (What can I say. I also sewed my forearm in the field myself after a grenade accident once. Only in the Marine Corps. or special forces I guess. LOL)

I did kind of feel like a hostage for a few days but they would not let me go once they discovered my 02 levels were dropping by 40% while sleeping. They had me custom fitted for a machine and they would not let me leave until I received my machine. They let me go and work out in the physical therapy room and play ball in the gym too. The best part was that my doctors and or P. A.'s came in and talked to me at least once a day and sometimes three times a day as lab work came back. They did not talk in medical terms without explaining what that meant to me. Also, they let me refuse blood-work my last two days. (that was fun. I put a note on the door that read, "no blood-work today." When they came in I said, "talk to my Dr. they don't need anymore blood." LOL One phlebotomist got mad at me after trying three times. Then the P.A. told them that I was in discharge status and no blood-work was needed.) It was normally ordered on all of the patients for daily monitoring. Staff told me that they had everything they needed accept my machine by Wednesday and I was awaiting discharge. My Machine did not get in until Friday. So, I was kind of a guest of the wing until then. LOL

All of the nurses were great. I was kind of sad there were no male nurses though. It was great three hot meals a day I did not need to cook myself and they were always delivered by some cute young guy. Wow, what could be better? I guess these guys could have fed my meals to me while fanning me gently like a Pharaoh or if nothing else got naked and gave me a massage that I could reciprocate. (LOL, sorry, I was fantasizing there for a moment.) It was kind of like a vacation and I had a private room too.:biggrin:

Gary

I'm not a vet, so I don't know about the VA. I am a smoker (kinda) since I've gone from about 45 cigs a day to 4. I got diagnosed with emphysema last year and I'm only 54. I know a girl who got diagnosed at 38.
The thing that REALLY helped me get down to just 4 cigs (and I need to finally go to 0) is Chantix. A lot of people are afraid of it, but it has really worked for me. It has made me a bit bitchy and inpatient, but no other side-effects. Just be sure to take it on a full stomach.
I hope you can quit. The VA probably covers the drug...

Should I start a new thread on this since it's not VA-related?

I've tried everything...cold turkey, hypnosis, gradually reducing, and behavior modification. I've found that due to my own quirky personality, I need to address not only the nicotine addiction, but more importantly 36 years of ingrained habits.

Last year I devised my own gradual list of cutting down, and replacing that time with positive activities...some Physical Therapy exercises that I'd never done, eating breakfast, etc, etc.

I also attended one of those 2 month workshops sponsored through your HMO, covered by insurance.

I got down to 10 a day at one point, and then started on Chantix. The workshop goal was to quit completely after 2 weeks on the starter kit, but I knew in my self-imposed behavior modification plan that 2 weeks wasn't enough time, so I re-filled my prescription.

After another couple/three weeks, I was down to eight and was feeling fairly confident that THIS time, it was actually gonna happen.

And then I started having heart palpitations...

I've already been diagnosed with high cholesterol and have been on medication to control that. It's partly genetic and partly bad eating habits, which have been corrected...for the most part.

Read the side effects on the literature for Chantix, and there is was...heart palpitations, so I got off it immediately, scheduled an appt with the doctor, and we decided to stop it completely.

I'd heard a lot about vivid dreams on Chantix, and was disappointed that I didn't experience any, that I can remember.

I really wished it could have worked for me. I'm back up to a pack a day. But school starts this week, so I will once again try my behavior modification-gradual reduction plan, but without Chantix this time.

Anyone know anything about e-cigarettes?

I hope you can quit also.

Chafu213

There is a little known law that gives a lot of money to certain veterans. If you served in Vietnam for any length of time in the late 60"s(there are exact dates but I don't remember them offhand), you are presumed to be service connected and entitled to money and treatment if you develop any of a number of diseases at any time. The most common of these are Type II diabetes and prostate cancer. Google for more information. If you fit the law's requirements, it's a great deal.

I have found a lot out with the VA and how they authorize benefits.
When I first applied earlier in the year, it was all based on your income and assets. Well, such as in my case, I am unemployed and have no outside insurance, so therefore I am qualified for medical assistance and a copay for my meds although my medical condition was not Service Connected.
I found this out today when I went out to the VA Hospital to pick out my glasses and drop off my eye glass prescription. The lady told me that years ago, most of the medical benefits that were approved had to be Military Service Connected. Now, all veteran's that we discharged with at least an Honorable Discharge qualifies for VA benefits and the eye doctor stated on my prescription that mine was a Medical Non Service Connected approval. Since now all veteran's are getting benefits, it will take about 2-3 months for me to receive my glasses in the mail since there is such a back log for requests.

Stripe: The intake doctor at the VA gave me the option to go on the patch when I felt that I was ready to quit smoking, so I know that I have that option. They did not mention anything about oral medications to quit smoking. Glad to hear that you were able to kick the habit.

Chafu213, I'm sure that when school starts back up for you, that you will be able to cut way back if not quit. Best of success to you.

Gary

Jayman, fortunately I have not had to spend any time in the VA hospital. In fact, I really haven't been hospitalized for a long period of time that I can remember.
I did notice that the local VA Hospital at American Lake in Tacoma doesn't have ER services. I don't know if that is the case with all of the VA hospitals.
We have so many hospitals here in the local area including Madigan Army Medical Center which is located on Ft. Lewis.
Also, did you know that not too long ago, the Department of Defense combined Ft. Lewis Army Post and McChord AFB into a Joint Base, since they are next to each other? So now they are called JBLM (Joint Base Lewis McChord) in Lakewood, WA.

Gary

Gents, would someone please explain to me what VA means and does. I can kinda guess from the previous posts but then I get confused. Is it Veterans Associate, or somthing to do with Vets which someone mentioned. Do you take your pets there too ?

I guess its for ex military guys and we have similar charities for the 3 arms of the services in this country. It's just as well these charities/services exist.

Gents, would someone please explain to me what VA means and does. I can kinda guess from the previous posts but then I get confused. Is it Veterans Associate, or somthing to do with Vets which someone mentioned. Do you take your pets there too ?

I guess its for ex military guys and we have similar charities for the 3 arms of the services in this country. It's just as well these charities/services exist.

VA stands for Veteran's Administration. Basically, since after Vietnam the US has made all military service voluntary. So, what has happened is that many veteran's who have served their country are out of work, or working at jobs that pay little to nothing at all. I believe the income cut off is any veteran earning less than $28,000 a year is eligible for VA medical benefits free of charge. We only need to pay up to an $8.00 co-pay for our medications and prescriptions. It is sort of our country's way of saying thank you for the service you have given our country we are willing to help you receive affordable health care so you can get back on your feet. That is as simple as I can explain it. :wink:

Actually since President Regan, it is Department of Veterans Affairs, least of Cabinet Departments. It has three parts: managing a lot of cemeteries, running a huge system of clinics and hospitals, paying out benefits to veteran with service-connected disabilities, pensions to veterans with low income and their widows and orphans, and educational allowances to recently discharged soldiers. It reached more or less its present form after WWII when headed by the great general Omar Bradley it is credited with educating a generation of Americans. Most other countries do much of this though a number of separate agencies.

Actually since President Regan, it is Department of Veterans Affairs, least of Cabinet Departments. It has three parts: managing a lot of cemeteries, running a huge system of clinics and hospitals, paying out benefits to veteran with service-connected disabilities, pensions to veterans with low income and their widows and orphans, and educational allowances to recently discharged soldiers. It reached more or less its present form after WWII when headed by the great general Omar Bradley it is credited with educating a generation of Americans. Most other countries do much of this though a number of separate agencies.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction. :biggrin: