• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Some times, it's more out of confusion...

betudidntknow

BSB Addict
Reaction score
When I am in a group of people and it's necessary to describe another person by their ethnicity, what's the most appropriate word or term to use? I am a Black man, at least, that's how I choose to reference it. I can also use the term "African American" though, I am not directly from Africa ( as are a few of my social peers) but I was born in America (Connecticut to be exact) I can live with this reference also.

I've been in situations where the term "Colored people" has been used. From my perspective, this is an old term and, the people who use it usually are too! I don't think they do it to be "unfriendly" but, they seem to be confused as to what term to use. If I am in the situation with the opportunity to "educate" them on how I like to be addressed, I gently open up a dialogue and know how I like to be called by my first name, or using the term "Black" is okay (as an ethnic description). Words like, "Boy, or the N word" usually mean that person is not coming from a good place, I usually remove myself at that point!

When I lived in San Diego, there was a very large and diverse community of people in the city. Some of Asian influence, and since Mexico was just on the border, a large Mexican population existed also. In some instances, the Mexican population were there illegally, and working. I learned quickly that, being called "A Mexican" when in fact, a person may have been of a Hispanic origin, but not Mexican, also stirred things up!

Just wondering how others' navigate through the sometimes confusing use of "the right ethnic term".? I am sure that there a few non-whites that may have encountered some awkward times with people using the "friendlier terms.":anyone:

I know I've said this before but my Mother is full blooded Native American aka Indian. There are 100's of tribes in the USA and Canada and some think the proper term for them is Native American. Both of my tribes The Klamath and The Shoshone refer to ourselves as simply Indians. Same thing as BETU's dilemma with African American and Black. My Dad is full blooded Mexican and it is disrepectful in his Family to refer to yourself as Hispanic or Latin/Spanish decent. His parents were proud of their Mexican heritage and moved here simply to provide a better life for their children.

Would be nice to just call each other by our names not caring what our ethnicity is unless its relevant to the discussion.

I am an Italian on both sides of my family. Italian was my first language. I still speak it. I have lived part of my life iin Italy and part in the US and I consider myself richer for it

Would be nice to just call each other by our names not caring what our ethnicity is unless its relevant to the discussion.

I absolutely agree with you! I guess what made me think about it was when, standing in a room recently, I heard a little elderly woman ask her daughter (who was a friend of mine) "Who is that Colored Guy over there?" I think it was more awkward for the daughter! But, I went over and introduced myself to "Clara", and we had a pleasant exchange. :001_smile:

I absolutely agree with you! I guess what made me think about it was when, standing in a room recently, I heard a little elderly woman ask her daughter (who was a friend of mine) "Who is that Colored Guy over there?" I think it was more awkward for the daughter! But, I went over and introduced myself to "Clara", and we had a pleasant exchange. :001_smile:
My Mom is 76 and just recently she referred to an Asian person as Oriental.

I was at an event the other day. we was talking in a group. one of the guys ask me, are you Hindi? he offered one or two more choices. my friend said, he's white. the guy wanted to apologize for not including blacks in his more acceptable groups. before we could get to the question of what I like to be called, I offer my name.
if I am to be judged using any of my organs, then let it be my brain and not my skin.

My Mom is 76 and just recently she referred to an Asian person as Oriental.
I think it is all a matter of what terms we grew up with that we use, unless we make an effort to change what we say. Just as, it irks me today when I hear a usually older person refer to gays as "homosexuals". It sounds so clinical. But as long as a person doesn't mean to offend with their terms, then I usually don't care what people say about me being Jewish or "homosexual". lol

I think it is all a matter of what terms we grew up with that we use, unless we make an effort to change what we say. Just as, it irks me today when I hear a usually older person refer to gays as "homosexuals". It sounds so clinical. But as long as a person doesn't mean to offend with their terms, then I usually don't care what people say about me being Jewish or "homosexual". lol
OMG your Jewish?? This changes everything now!!! hahahahaha

Why are Native American/Mexicans incompatible with Jews??? hahahahaha
I think everyone is!!! hahaha xoxoxoxo

p.s. As I was sitting here looking at my Avatar of Shane, I want to wake up next to him and have him look at me that way. :blush:

Last edited:
I think everyone is!!! hahaha xoxoxoxo

p.s. As I was sitting here looking at my Avatar of Shane, I want to wake up next to him and have him look at me that way. :blush:
Number one, if we were working for the same company, I would report you to human resources for your "offensive" remarks, hahaha xoxoxoxo

And number two, I was in love with Shane way back when, when your avatar was still Cousin Anthony and I want my "Tanky the Yankee" back. lol :sneaky2:

I was at an event the other day. we was talking in a group. one of the guys ask me, are you Hindi? he offered one or two more choices. my friend said, he's white. the guy wanted to apologize for not including blacks in his more acceptable groups. before we could get to the question of what I like to be called, I offer my name.
if I am to be judged using any of my organs, then let it be my brain and not my skin.

"If I am to be judged by any of my organs, then let it be my BRAIN, and not my SKIN". . . Another1 - that is such an amazing quote. May I have your permission to use it in things I write, henceforth??? Because it is one of the best things I've ever read on here. . . or anywhere!

"A" XOXOXOXOXO

When I am in a group of people and it's necessary to describe another person by their ethnicity, what's the most appropriate word or term to use? I am a Black man, at least, that's how I choose to reference it. I can also use the term "African American" though, I am not directly from Africa ( as are a few of my social peers) but I was born in America (Connecticut to be exact) I can live with this reference also.

I've been in situations where the term "Colored people" has been used. From my perspective, this is an old term and, the people who use it usually are too! I don't think they do it to be "unfriendly" but, they seem to be confused as to what term to use. If I am in the situation with the opportunity to "educate" them on how I like to be addressed, I gently open up a dialogue and know how I like to be called by my first name, or using the term "Black" is okay (as an ethnic description). Words like, "Boy, or the N word" usually mean that person is not coming from a good place, I usually remove myself at that point!

When I lived in San Diego, there was a very large and diverse community of people in the city. Some of Asian influence, and since Mexico was just on the border, a large Mexican population existed also. In some instances, the Mexican population were there illegally, and working. I learned quickly that, being called "A Mexican" when in fact, a person may have been of a Hispanic origin, but not Mexican, also stirred things up!

Just wondering how others' navigate through the sometimes confusing use of "the right ethnic term".? I am sure that there a few non-whites that may have encountered some awkward times with people using the "friendlier terms.":anyone:

Hey, Betu -

It's an interesting post, and a good topic. I bet there are lots of well-meaning "white people" (viz., people of European descent) who wonder about such things, often. . . I know I do!

I grew up in a tiny Canadian farming village, in which half the people were English or Scottish (like me): and the other half were immigrants from Eastern Europe - - - Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, and Hungarian. (And, BTW, my Daddy told me, back in the day - never the twain should meet!!! It was considered a SCANDAL if a WASP boy should date. . . let alone marry. . . a Slavic girl: or, vice versa.)

Betu, this is gonna make you cringe, and it makes me cringe now, too - - - but I remember the first time we all went to the city, to go to the museum and the theatre on a field-trip, in a big school-bus. . . (I was six): and it was the first time we ever saw a person who wasn't white. . . I remember kids hanging out the windows of the bus, and exclaiming - "Look at THAT lady - she's BLACK!!!" Even remembering stuff like that, is extremely painful to me, now.

Likewise, I would say to MikeYank - there were no Jewish people in my town, growing up. The first time I met a Jewish person, it was one of my favourite (and very beloved) political science professors at university - it was a small university town, but still (then) very WASP. He was a Sephardic Jew from Spain, and he had his sons bar mitzvah'd in that town, and it was the first bar mitzvah that was held in that town, for 70 YEARS.

Mike, I have been on a bit of a learning curve, since then. My first boss, who was a great teacher - and I LOVE her - was Jewish (from a famous German-Jewish family): and I remember, one time, when I was first working for her, I got a ham sandwich from the cafeteria. . . I love ham - - - I grew up on a PIG-FARM! - - -and I hid the sandwich in my top-desk-drawer ;-) She said, "A, there's no need to HIDE IT - I like a nice BLT, from time to time!" (She wasn't Orthodox, obviously ;-)))

Anyway, Betu, it is very interesting, the way LANGUAGE works, and ethnic self-definitions, work. Admittedly, "coloured" is a term of the past - and is mostly offensive to people, now. Though once it wasn't: as, consider, the title of the NAACP. But the last time I ever heard anyone use the term "coloured", it was one of my old Scottish aunties - and they were from the old country, and they weren't very sensitive, at ALL.

But up here in Canada, it is interesting that many or most Canadians of African heritage - most of whom, here, have ancestors who came from Caribbean countries - like and prefer the term "Black", as a self-description. While, in the U.S.A., it seems like "Black" is, as an ethnic self-description, pretty passé, and "African-American" is de rigueur.

And Peter and Louis might be interested in this, but, in Canada, there has been a huge evolution in the way "Native Canadians" speak of themselves - and prefer to be referred to. When I was a kid, in the '60's and '70's, no one batted an eye about referring to our indigenous people as "Indians". (In fact, the national organization for Native Canadians was called, "The National Indian Brotherhood". I guess that was a little bit gender-biased, too??? LOL!)

But over the past 40 years, the preferred language has gone from "Canadian Indians", to "Native Canadians", to "First Nations People" and "Aboriginal People" - the latter term being considered inclusive of the people formerly considered "Canadian Indians", as well as Inuit people (formerly called Eskimos), and Metis people - who are of mixed European and Native ancestry.

Now, for dumb Scotsman like me, this is all kind of quite a MAZE to negotiate! But, I also GET IT, Betu.

Nobody ever called a SCOT, anything other than a SCOT. And nobody ever called an IRISHMAN, anything but an IRISHMAN. (Though, in earlier days in North America, some people had VERY BAD things to say about the Irish - and, as I have told dear Jamie, my Grandmother was Irish, and a teacher, and one of her students once laughingly called her, "MIKE" - because that was a subtle deprecatory JOKE about her being Irish ;-) *Back in the 1920's, in Canada, Irish people were considered second-class citizens in Canada - even if they WERE Protestant!)* (BTW, though my Grandmother had the power to STRAP the boy, she didn't - she just laughed. . . which I think was the best response ;-)

For sure, when your family and your ethnic group have been subjected to discrimination over years (and perhaps even centuries) it is always a STRUGGLE to come up with a self-description that is both true to your origins, and also dignified and RESPECTFUL. And I think ALL social and ethnic groups who have been subjected to hurt and calumny over the years, struggle with this. Hence, the evolution of language.

Betu, as a keen student of language, I know that the English language constantly EVOLVES. And I have no problem kind of rolling with things, and learning a little bit more about how my friends from other ethnic backgrounds from mine prefer to be described. I understand how this can be, and WHY it is, an issue: and so I'm happy to innovate, and alter my usage - - - so friends I care about can know that they are cared-about, and respected. The FINAL CHOICE, in terms of terminology, is THEIRS to make, not MINE - and I am fine, with that.

But what I am loving MOST on this thread is Another1's beautiful comment that he would like to be judged, if for ANY organ, not for his SKIN, but for his BRAIN. This is, I think, a beautiful and smart and up-to-date way of expressing what Dr. Martin Luther King had to say about judging people, first and foremost, on the content of their character.

Because, Betu, in this long life of mine, I want to assure you. . . I've met BAD and HORRIBLE people from EVERY RACE and TRIBE and ETHNICITY and BACKGROUND. But also, fine and good and absolutely lovable people, from EVERY background, on the globe. And I think EVERY HUMAN BEING deserves to be treated as an individual - - - as a unique and singular moment, in human history. As regards his ideas (and hopes and dreams); as regards his mind, and intellect; as regards his compassion and love, for other people; and as regards his potential, AS A FRIEND, or LOVED-ONE.

I have really been surprised, by the turn my life has taken. I grew up in a tiny, claustrophobic little community - whose existence, and prejudices, were made famous in a number of celebrated Canadian novels. I NEVER thought I'd EVER be attracted to anyone who wasn't English, Scottish, or Slavic. I've learned that I was wrong. . . and that there is a whole huge world of kind and sweet and gorgeous Black and Asian and Latino and North American Aboriginal men out there. . . and that they are lovable, and SEXY, too! AND that, there are SO, SO MANY sweet and kind and lovely FRIENDS out there, just waiting for you - who come from such different backgrounds, you never would have suspected you'd EVER connect with them. (One of my best friends now, is a Muslim Tatar, from Russia.)

So, it's GOOD to be open. And it's important to be kind and loving to everyone. And to treat every human being you get to know, as an INDIVIDUAL. And (I think) if you are willing to do that - - - the questions of LANGUAGE, and terminology, will settle themselves. And, happily, so.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO

Thank you Ambivalent, for expanding this thread and it's subject matter to a more global point of view! I appreciated reading all of the contributions but, I liked the way you brought your wisdom and articulation a lot, so...thank you for that!

I am glad that I've grown up during a time where, I can see how we have grown as a "people" from the days of the "Archie Bunker" view of people, to where we are now! I have felt for the longest time what Another1 expressed. If I am to be "judged" when I walk into a room, let that be based on what "I" bring to the table, as opposed to the color of my skin! The same existed at one time for my "sexual preference" I would rather people got to know me as a person before they started only to see me as gay or black for that matter!

I am fortunate in that, I have learned to be the best person that I can in most every situation. There hasn't been a need for me to walk into a room full of strangers and be concerned with "race relations" for a good number of years (maybe decades) but, every once in a while, there is that moment. I remember a time, when there was a pejorative term for almost every ethnicity (thanks in part to Archie Bunker) as, some of those terms I would not have know existed in the first place!!

It's nice for me to recognize these times in my life to appreciate the difference now. It also helps people like me, to be able to move forward as, I see people differently than some of the older generation of folks even in my own family!

So, this has been a good Thread and thanks for the contributions from all!:thumbup1:

Dear Ambi and betu..
And DAMN can you boy's write. What a Gift...
Thank You Guy's.......
Hugs
johnny.....

Thank you Ambivalent, for expanding this thread and it's subject matter to a more global point of view! I appreciated reading all of the contributions but, I liked the way you brought your wisdom and articulation a lot, so...thank you for that!

I am glad that I've grown up during a time where, I can see how we have grown as a "people" from the days of the "Archie Bunker" view of people, to where we are now! I have felt for the longest time what Another1 expressed. If I am to be "judged" when I walk into a room, let that be based on what "I" bring to the table, as opposed to the color of my skin! The same existed at one time for my "sexual preference" I would rather people got to know me as a person before they started only to see me as gay or black for that matter!

I am fortunate in that, I have learned to be the best person that I can in most every situation. There hasn't been a need for me to walk into a room full of strangers and be concerned with "race relations" for a good number of years (maybe decades) but, every once in a while, there is that moment. I remember a time, when there was a pejorative term for almost every ethnicity (thanks in part to Archie Bunker) as, some of those terms I would not have know existed in the first place!!

It's nice for me to recognize these times in my life to appreciate the difference now. It also helps people like me, to be able to move forward as, I see people differently than some of the older generation of folks even in my own family!

So, this has been a good Thread and thanks for the contributions from all!:thumbup1:

Hey, Betu - a couple of things:

Though it will seem (and IS) trivial, compared to the stories of people who have suffered from racial, religious, or ethnic persecution. . . I'm a fat, pasty-faced redhead. And if I could give you a dime (even a cheap Canadian dime!) for the number of times I've heard cute guys say (including my own gay best friend): "I WOULD NEVER DATE A REDHEAD". . . I'd be a millionaire ;-) *Just imagine how I felt when it hit the world's presses that the world's largest SPERM-BANK was rejecting red-headed sperm donors, because our semen is UNDESIRABLE.* http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/denmark/8768598/Sperm-bank-turns-down-redheads.html

And I have found, in my little lifetime, that sadly (but frequently) when it comes to LOVE - GAY MEN are the greatest classists, racists, and eugenicists, of all. Something which led me to feel, through much of my life, that I had MUCH MORE IN COMMON with a fat, pasty-complexioned, and romantically-challenged STRAIGHT GUY, than I ever had with ANY GAY MAN, of my acquaintance.

I always felt, Betu, that I'd STRUCK OUT, even before I got UP to BAT. (And, of course, that didn't feel good.) I waited 30 years to find my sweet and lovely Mr. K., who is the brunet of my dreams (and, I'll bet, a lot of other people's on here, too). . . and, while lots of people have found me interesting, entertaining, or lovable for a variety of reasons. . . he is the first person who ever found me lovable, for ALL of ME. And JUST ME. And took the time to LOOK INSIDE ME, as a human being. So. . . I HATE when people have to struggle against others' preconceptions about their LOOKS, MANNER, SKIN-COLOUR, RACE, RELIGION, or ETHNICITY.

Because we DON'T have any choice about our GENES - all that we can control about ourselves, is our hearts and minds, and. . . damn it - that should count, for SOMETHING!!!

Second, you know, my Mom and I used to sit on the chesterfield on Thursday evenings, watching the antics of Archie, and Edith, and "Meathead". And laughing at them, quite hard, usually.

Of course, this was a double-edged comedic SWORD. Because - though I didn't suspect it, at the time - there have been numerous sociological studies since then, which purport to show that a lot of real-live bigots out there, found COMFORT and CONSOLATION, in Archie's televisual bigotry. And, of course, that's sad.

But, on the other hand, I do think that All in the Family was a genuine learning experience, for a lot of people. Because, it demonstrated - quite subtly, but powerfully - how racial and religious bigotry subsist and thrive, amongst otherwise decent and hard-working people. . . but also ILLUSTRATED how many of those people (like the sainted EDITH) went with their minds and hearts and OVERCAME these prejudices. Even without any FORMAL instruction in "political correctness" - but just because they were GOOD HUMAN BEINGS, at heart. And I think that was really the point of the show, and what Norman Lear intended.

Anyway, that old TV programme still has a special place, in my heart. And, I think that (in the long run), it did a lot of good. Because it got people talking about things that were previously forbidden as matters of discussion, in polite company. . . and made people who perhaps never thought about it seriously, before, how stupid certain prejudices, are.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs58_ZvsbBI