• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Quitting Smoking & Chantix

balboa

Reaction score
Last Friday, July 8th around 1pm was my last cigarette. My doctor had prescribed me Chantix the previous week, and I started taking it, and continued to smoke for about a week. I can't really say that my cig cravings have ceased. In fact, it doesn't feel like the Chantix helps at all. However, my doctor said something about it regulates the dopamine levels, yada, yada, zzzzzzz, snore. Add to that, I was never told about the side-effect of weight gain, which I'm already overweight to begin with. Then there's the gas, occasional headache, depression...you get the picture.

I've stopped drugs, dieted, you name it, and this by far is the most difficult thing I've ever done. Having smoked for about 25 years with no real attempt at stopping, it was such a huge part of my life. I feel like I've lost a loved one. They say it takes 30 days to get over the habitual part of an addiction, so I've got 24 more days. But I'm thinking about cigs every waking minute.

Oh, and I'm also using nicotine lozenges to help me. I thought the Chantix would help the nicotine cravings, but no. I also ordered some e-cigs which I hope will arrive sooner rather than later. But I know I'm at that age where I have to stop smoking. My mother died recently of emphysema, but not before years of suffering. I just don't want to go out like she did.

Well, thanks for reading. Any encouraging words and similar experiences would be appreciated.

Smokin'

It really is a bitch. I've been on Chantix for over a year (down to one pill a day now). My doctor said that it's not uncommon for people to stay on it. It has really worked for me. I went from over 2 packs a day, down to 5 to 8 cigs a day. I just don't need as much nicotine in my body. But I still REALLY want to quit! I just want it out of my life.
The only side effect I had at the beginning was nausea. I learned I had to take it with food and that cut the nausea significantly.
I'm going to try Nicotrol. It's the prescription little "cigartip" looking little thing that has a nicotine chamber in it. You draw on it and get a hit of nicotine. I have a box, but haven't had the energy to try the switch over and face TOTALLY not smoking. Like you, smoking was a friend when I was bored, anxious, fearful, happy, sad, you name it, I had a cigarette! But I've got to get the nerve up to give it a try.

GOOD LUCK!!! See what works best for you, and stick with it. :biggrin:

Last edited:
My doctor prescribed chantix for me. When I picked it up at the pharmacy, the pharmacist said, "watch out for nightmares." I got home and read the info, and decided that the risks of taking it outweighed the benefits. In September of last year, my husband and I embarked on a two week road trip to see national parks in Utah and Wyoming. Because he's never smoked in his car, I took along nicotine patches. I used them for about six or seven days and then stopped. Other than a few falls off the wagon at bars in Palm Springs, where I'll occasionally go out on the patio and beg a cigarette, I haven't smoked since September. Nicotine is one of the most insidious addictions we can have. It took me five tries to finally become nicotine free. It can be done! And good for you Balboa that you are making the effort. It seems impossible, I know, but it can be done! Hang in there and keep us abreast of your progress!

Last Friday, July 8th around 1pm was my last cigarette. My doctor had prescribed me Chantix the previous week, and I started taking it, and continued to smoke for about a week. I can't really say that my cig cravings have ceased. In fact, it doesn't feel like the Chantix helps at all. However, my doctor said something about it regulates the dopamine levels, yada, yada, zzzzzzz, snore. Add to that, I was never told about the side-effect of weight gain, which I'm already overweight to begin with. Then there's the gas, occasional headache, depression...you get the picture.

I've stopped drugs, dieted, you name it, and this by far is the most difficult thing I've ever done. Having smoked for about 25 years with no real attempt at stopping, it was such a huge part of my life. I feel like I've lost a loved one. They say it takes 30 days to get over the habitual part of an addiction, so I've got 24 more days. But I'm thinking about cigs every waking minute.

Oh, and I'm also using nicotine lozenges to help me. I thought the Chantix would help the nicotine cravings, but no. I also ordered some e-cigs which I hope will arrive sooner rather than later. But I know I'm at that age where I have to stop smoking. My mother died recently of emphysema, but not before years of suffering. I just don't want to go out like she did.

Well, thanks for reading. Any encouraging words and similar experiences would be appreciated.

Best of luck to you Balboa! My doctor prescribed Chantix for me once too, but I never got the prescription filled. I need to though, and I applaud you for doing this! Each day that goes by is one that you've got licked, which I have yet to tackle.

My doctor mentioned to me that the biggest side effect seems to be weird nightmares and possible depression. Have you had any of those?

Abe

Best of luck to you Balboa! My doctor prescribed Chantix for me once too, but I never got the prescription filled. I need to though, and I applaud you for doing this! Each day that goes by is one that you've got licked, which I have yet to tackle.

My doctor mentioned to me that the biggest side effect seems to be weird nightmares and possible depression. Have you had any of those?

Abe

Thanks, for the support, Abe! I do feel agitated and depressed, but it's difficult to tell if it's from not smoking or the Chantix. I told the doctor that I already have vivid dreams, and am not a nightmare person, so it hasn't affected me that way, lol! Just the side-effects I listed so far.

It really is a bitch. I've been on Chantix for over a year (down to one pill a day now). My doctor said that it's not uncommon for people to stay on it. It has really worked for me. I went from over 2 packs a day, down to 5 to 8 cigs a day. I just don't need as much nicotine in my body. But I still REALLY want to quit! I just want it out of my life.
The only side effect I had at the beginning was nausea. I learned I had to take it with food and that cut the nausea significantly.
I'm going to try Nicotrol. It's the prescription little "cigartip" looking little thing that has a nicotine chamber in it. You draw on it and get a hit of nicotine. I have a box, but haven't had the energy to try the switch over and face TOTALLY not smoking. Like you, smoking was a friend when I was bored, anxious, fearful, happy, sad, you name it, I had a cigarette! But I've got to get the nerve up to give it a try.

GOOD LUCK!!! See what works best for you, and stick with it. :biggrin:

Thanks, Stripe, for the support! I never thought of Nicotrol, but now, I've already invested the money in the e-cig. And yes, smoking was a good friend; always there for me whenever. It's just been one of those things I've been wanting to do for years. But the time never seemed right. Then I realized there never will seem like a "right" time, so why not go ahead and quit.

It's the only time when being a "quitter" is a good thing.

My doctor prescribed chantix for me. When I picked it up at the pharmacy, the pharmacist said, "watch out for nightmares." I got home and read the info, and decided that the risks of taking it outweighed the benefits. In September of last year, my husband and I embarked on a two week road trip to see national parks in Utah and Wyoming. Because he's never smoked in his car, I took along nicotine patches. I used them for about six or seven days and then stopped. Other than a few falls off the wagon at bars in Palm Springs, where I'll occasionally go out on the patio and beg a cigarette, I haven't smoked since September. Nicotine is one of the most insidious addictions we can have. It took me five tries to finally become nicotine free. It can be done! And good for you Balboa that you are making the effort. It seems impossible, I know, but it can be done! Hang in there and keep us abreast of your progress!

Thanks, Guido! Yeah, nicotine is tough. In fact, my doctor said he didn't care if I stay on nicotine, as long as I don't smoke. So, I'm in no hurry to get completely off it for now. I do want to gradually decrease the amount I take, which is why I'm using the lozenge and ordered the e-cig.

Damn, I want a cig right now...sigh!:crying:

Balboa, I wish you the best of luck and success in beating your addiction. I never smoked, but I am addicted to food. It's a bitch trying to keep my weight where it is supposed to be. I know you are having a hard time now, but hope that as the days go by it will get easier for you. My brother smoked for about half his life and now he has completely riuned his lungs. He has finally stopped, but he is on oxygen 24 hrs. and doesn't have the energy and breath to move from his lounge chair to the bathroom. I certainly wouldn't want to see you become like him. Just keep up the good work and your willpower and I know you will be successful.

Thanks, for the support, Abe! I do feel agitated and depressed, but it's difficult to tell if it's from not smoking or the Chantix. I told the doctor that I already have vivid dreams, and am not a nightmare person, so it hasn't affected me that way, lol! Just the side-effects I listed so far.

Did you quit cold turkey? Chantix is a step down medication, you're not supposed to start taking it and then immediately quit smoking. The idea is that Chantix will slowly step you down to where you eventually quit altogether.

Abe

Did you quit cold turkey? Chantix is a step down medication, you're not supposed to start taking it and then immediately quit smoking. The idea is that Chantix will slowly step you down to where you eventually quit altogether.

Abe

No, didn't quit cold turkey immediately. I waited until the 8th day of taking Chantix. However, I'm about to stop taking it, because my e-cig has arrived and it seems to be doing the trick as far as the cravings and habit. I'm now officially a "vaper". I don't like the way the Chantix affects my mood; I feel like a real BIACH! And I just wanna smack every other person I see. That's so not like me. I'm already not a very social person, and this is making me want to isolate even more than usual for fear of hurting somebody's feelings. This past week has been the longest, most anxiety filled days I've had in a long time.

No, didn't quit cold turkey immediately. I waited until the 8th day of taking Chantix. However, I'm about to stop taking it, because my e-cig has arrived and it seems to be doing the trick as far as the cravings and habit. I'm now officially a "vaper". I don't like the way the Chantix affects my mood; I feel like a real BIACH! And I just wanna smack every other person I see. That's so not like me. I'm already not a very social person, and this is making me want to isolate even more than usual for fear of hurting somebody's feelings. This past week has been the longest, most anxiety filled days I've had in a long time.

How does the e-cig work anyway? Are you finding the cravings gradually diminishing as time continues to pass? Hopefully the e-cig will do the trick.

Abe

How does the e-cig work anyway? Are you finding the cravings gradually diminishing as time continues to pass? Hopefully the e-cig will do the trick.

Abe

Well, I'm very new to all this and am learning as I go. But I ordered the starter kit from Janty, who is supposed to be the premier e-cig manufacturer. There are lots of sites out there selling their own brand, but a lot of them just repackage and re-sell the Janty, so I thought I'd just go to the original maker. Anyway, here's the link:

http://usa.jantyworld.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=yagendoo_VaMazing_2.tpl&product_id=4679&category_id=89&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=177

The e-cig produces a flavored vapor which can contain nicotine. It's not the same as tobacco smoke, but suprisingly, it is satisfying. I find it does satisfy--mostly, my cravings. The kit includes a rechargeable battery and you have to buy the liquid separately to fill the e-cig. They come in a variety of flavors. I'm a methol smoker, so I ordered their version of menthol. So far so good...:thumbup: