• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Members' Favorites & Voting - The Who? & The How?

I think the chances of a rating changes after a large number of votes is like a baseball batter trying to improve his average late in a season. Early in the season when the batter has few at bats, he can improve his average very quickly by getting a hot streak. But late in the season the hot streak will only bring up his average by a few points. In other words, it would take an immense amount of new input to change an old rating. Does this help or confuse the issue?

You're right. And it was heart wrenching.........

Do I give JIMMIE another 5, when I cannot do the same for CHAD........:crying1::crying1::crying1:

No problem, Ms. K! I can be your surrogate. It is 4:45 pm EST here in the 'Burgh on Thurs., 1/26 and after having read what you wrote above I did some research. Chad first appeared on 9/19/11 and has been in episodes dated 9/24, 10/1, 10/6, 10/20, 11/17, 12/1, 12/22, 12/31; and 1/16/2012.

I watched each episode on the date it was posted and voted right afterwards. Today I checked each episode and it says "Cast Your Vote Now!". So I can give your man Chad another 5, but won't because it would fly in the face of the point I am trying to make about the voting system.

However, I am happy to report that my sample re-vote of Kodi's solo scene which I did yesterday still shows "Thanks For Voting!". Again, I'm not an IT guy, but there's a flaw in the system somewhere.

4 out of 5 produces a good average.
1 out of 5 not so good, pouring on the stream would still make 20 out of 25 hard to reach.
did i understand the baseball reference correctly?

stowe, i did find after a certain date (still trying to pinpoint the date), i am welcomed to vote.
until you raised the issue i never noticed that i could revote. i have notice that when i voted again, the rating did not change. i am guessing my revote changed the rating from 4.305 to 4.327. all i see is the same 4.3. i did it once as a test. i know i voted, even if there is no record of it.
perhaps, a bug. systems are prone to them. other things are running well, that's a good sign.

Last edited:
Update!!

UPDATE ON MY TEST CASE: Kodi's solo scene posted on 12/26

I watched it then and voted and "Thank You for Voting" came up.

On this past Wednesday, Jan 25, I noticed that it said "Cast Your Vote" which it should not have, but to test it, I voted again and got the message - "Thanks for Voting"

At about 5:25 pm est Thurs, 1/26, in a post on this thread responding to a post from Ms. K, I told her that as of that time the voting message on my Kodi solo scene was still "Thanks for Voting" so I thought maybe the flaw was fixed.

But, alas, I'm sad to report that at 12:08 am est today, Fri 1/27, the voting message on my Kodi solo scene once again says "Cast Your Vote". If this system were in place in 2000 in Florida, we could have avoided 8 yrs of W.!!

fortunately, the results of scene ratings will not determine the fate of the nation and the world.
it is good to have many eyes on a system.

"I think the chances of a rating changes after a large number of votes is like a baseball batter trying to improve his average late in a season. Early in the season when the batter has few at bats, he can improve his average very quickly by getting a hot streak. But late in the season the hot streak will only bring up his average by a few points. In other words, it would take an immense amount of new input to change an old rating. Does this help or confuse the issue?"

It helped me. That's why I proposed too clear the votes once a year. And the difference would be, that I will not re-vote on all those hundreds of movies, only on the ones I like.

"If you have an ISP that provides a dynamic IP's, this will happen. One vote per scene per IP."

One vote per user name would be more fair. Kodi & Mitch is our new #1 video with a 5.0 score!

Attachments

• kodi.jpg
    kodi.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
If you have an ISP that provides a dynamic IP's, this will happen. One vote per scene per IP.

With all due respect, what the hell does that mean? In plain English please for us computer luddites - lol!!!

in plain english there are dynamic IP adresses and static IP adresses.
dynamic IP's are assigned everytime you log on the internet.
static IP's are assigned to you.
dynamic IP's = here's your address this time.
static IP's = this will be your address, whenever you log on.
by checking this site you can findout whether you have a static and dynamic IP.
http://whatismyipaddress.com/
if you have a dynamic IP address, everytime you log on and you can vote. this is because you have a new IP address and the system lets new IP's vote.
i could vote again, because my service provider at some point assigned me a new IP address. they can do that. now i cannot vote again, because the same IP will showup.
nothing like a layperson explaining technology.

one vote per address, you keep changing your address.

Last edited:
If you have an ISP that provides a dynamic IP's, this will happen. One vote per scene per IP.

With all due respect, what the hell does that mean? In plain English please for us computer luddites - lol!!!

Stowe, Thank you so much for saying what I was thinking, when I read that, but I was embarrassed to ask. I've learned a few "tricks" with the computer, but basically I'm just a novice too, and don't get a lot of the jargon. :confused1:

in plain english there are dynamic IP adresses and static IP adresses.
dynamic IP's are assigned everytime you log on the internet.
static IP's are assigned to you.
dynamic IP's = here's your address this time.
static IP's = this will be your address, whenever you log on.
by checking this site you can findout whether you have a static and dynamic IP.
http://whatismyipaddress.com/
if you have a dynamic IP address, everytime you log on and you can vote. this is because you have a new IP address and the system lets new IP's vote.
i could vote again, because my service provider at some point assigned me a new IP address. they can do that. now i cannot vote again, because the same IP will showup.
nothing like a layperson explaining technology.

one vote per address, you keep changing your address.

Another1, thanks for putting this into words that I can understand, I think.

Dynamic IP's = I can vote every time I log on. And this is because every time I log on I have a new IP, and the Broke Straight Boys system is one vote per IP.

Static IP's = Same address whenever I log on so I get one vote when I first vote and none thereafter because I have the same IP address.

Am I understanding this so far? If so, there's a problem still.

I went to the website you gave and found that I have a static IP; thus, if my understanding is correct, I should be able to vote only once, yet I can vote what seems to be ad infinitum. Maybe that shouldn't be the case, but it is for me. Minds much greater than mine when it comes to computers can ponder that seeming contradiction.

But again, another, thanks for putting this into plain English which I, and I'm sure many others, can understand.

Question to anyone: Do new scenes post after midnight in each time zone, or in the eastern time zone, and whatever hour it is in another zone. So, will mikeyank and I see Kodi and Mitch in a few minutes and for Ms. K she sees it at 9 pm pacific time or does she have to wait until midnight pst? And has rrhill already seen it in Amsterdam or does he have to wait until whatever the time in the morning it is there? Just curious. Thanks.

Question to anyone: Do new scenes post after midnight in each time zone, or in the eastern time zone, and whatever hour it is in another zone. So, will mikeyank and I see Kodi and Mitch in a few minutes and for Ms. K she sees it at 9 pm pacific time or does she have to wait until midnight pst? And has rrhill already seen it in Amsterdam or does he have to wait until whatever the time in the morning it is there? Just curious. Thanks.

I see them at 9pm, my time. Sorry that you have to stay up so late....:yawn::001_wub:

since static IP address are subject to change by your internet service provider, for reason known only to your ISP their may have decided to change your address more often than i would think happens.
that would explain why you can keep voting.

at 12:01 on saturday new york (eastern standard time) scene go live all over the world.
for me it is now after 9 pm and i am waiting for the scene to download.

I see them at 9pm, my time. Sorry that you have to stay up so late....:yawn::001_wub:

I don't mind; I don't retire early anyway. But I was thinking if I were still living on Kauai I'd be seeing the scenes at 7 pm and during daylight time, 6 pm.

since static IP address are subject to change by your internet service provider, for reason known only to your ISP their may have decided to change your address more often than i would think happens.
that would explain why you can keep voting.

Well again, thanks for explaining this so I can understand. And while I might be able to vote more than once, I won't because it would possibly skew the results and I believe in one person, one vote. Although in the spirit of full disclosure, as a show of solidarity with Ms. K and our mutual fondness for the Diesal and Jimmy Slater scenes, and since they were old and really would make little difference, I did go back and vote for them again with a 5. But according to the Broke Straight Boys system, it probably went from 4.300213 to 4.300214, no big whoop!!!

Well at least, another1, I know whom I can contact if I have any computer questions and know that I will get answers in as plain English as possible.