• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Live-Aid - 34th Anniversary Video

stowe1

Ye Olde Curmudgeon
Reaction score
As it does in 2019, July 13th fell on a Saturday in 1985. That year Bob Geldolf put together a concert to help the victims of the famine in Africa. It was held concurrently at Wembley Stadium (72,000) in London and JFK Stadium (100,000) in Philly. It was also broadcast worldwide to an audience of about 500 million via a 13 satellite hookup. A cross-section of pop and rock stars played for free during this 10 hour gig. Among them were Joan Baez, The Four Tops, Def Lepard, The Who, Sting, Madonna, Elton, Sting, The Beach Boys. $127 million was raised, much higher than the goal set at $10 million.

One group stood out amongst all of them - Queen. Most people in the music business cite Queen's performance at Live-Aid as the greatest single performance by a rock band ever. To honor the 34th anniversary of Live-Aid I'm presenting that performance for your listening pleasure. It's a 20 minute set of great music which shows just how great a band Queen was and is, and what an unsurpassable frontman and musician Freddie Mercury was. So take the time to listen and enjoy yourselves.

Thanks for posting this Stowe.

You're so right that of all the huge names and music legends who performed at Live Aid...nobody ever talks in terms of reverence and any musical history made that day about the performances of any other band or artist there except for Queen. haha

This concert and George Harrison's Concert for Bangladesh in 1971 were great fundraising concerts with rock superstars for great causes. But Live Aid was the great one indeed!

If no one has seen the new film Bohemian Rhapsody I strongly recommend this. I saw this recently in an open air cinema while on holiday in Lanzarote it was truly awesome and did take me back to Live Aid. I was unable to get tickets so can remember still going into central London and watching Queen on the big screen they had in Hyde Park. It was a hot day and everyone was buzzing after Freddie's performance. Thanks for posting this thread it was nice to revisit this after so many years

If no one has seen the new film Bohemian Rhapsody I strongly recommend this. I saw this recently in an open air cinema while on holiday in Lanzarote it was truly awesome and did take me back to Live Aid. I was unable to get tickets so can remember still going into central London and watching Queen on the big screen they had in Hyde Park. It was a hot day and everyone was buzzing after Freddie's performance. Thanks for posting this thread it was nice to revisit this after so many years
Thanks for your post Foxyman. It's great to hear the perspective of someone who witnessed the performance from the other side of the pond, so to speak. It was a spectacular event watched on large and small screens across the world!

Bohemian Rhapsody was an awesome movie that far exceeded any and all expectations I had before I went to see it. I was blown away by both the storyline and the performances of the actors themselves. Like Foxyman I highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen it.