• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Car Quiz

tim114

Reaction score
DeSoto.jpg

Ok. What is this. "You Bet Your Life" was on televisioin when this ad ran.

abush11, you are good. How did you get to be so good at this? Are you a car person?

Doesn't this just make you want to be a Conquistador?

It's a Desoto, I'd guess anywhere from a 1949 to a 1953.

abush11, you are good. How did you get to be so good at this? Are you a car person?

Dearest Tim and Abe,

It is actually a 1954 DeSoto and I have some lovely pictures of a car with slightly over 40,000 miles that is available for sale if you care to spend $50K for this pristine example. The 49-52 DeSotos differed significantly in appearance and features. With a few updates, the 53 and 54 appeared to be totally refreshed and modern version in comparison. Don't you just love those chromed teeth. Both the DeSoto and the Buick grills of this era are where Rappers today refer to their chromed "grill" dental work.

While this car had some great features like a Hemi engine, it also had some advanced features for its day. It had a rear view camera(see below) of the mechanic waiting around for the trailer hitch. For those brave souls willing to take their chances, the rear view camera was optional.

Sincerely,

Stimpy

Attachments

• 1954 Desoto.jpg
    1954 Desoto.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 19
  • DeSoto 2.jpg
    DeSoto 2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DeSoto 3.jpg
    DeSoto 3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DeSoto 4.jpg
    DeSoto 4.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 24
  • DeSoto 5.jpg
    DeSoto 5.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 21
  • DeSoto Rear view Camera.jpg
    DeSoto Rear view Camera.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 21
Just checked the sofa for loose change. Did NOT find $49K.

Dearest Tim and Abe,

It is actually a 1954 DeSoto and I have some lovely pictures of a car with slightly over 40,000 miles that is available for sale if you care to spend $50K for this pristine example. The 49-52 DeSotos differed significantly in appearance and features. With a few updates, the 53 and 54 appeared to be totally refreshed and modern version in comparison. Don't you just love those chromed teeth. Both the DeSoto and the Buick grills of this era are where Rappers today refer to their chromed "grill" dental work.

While this car had some great features like a Hemi engine, it also had some advanced features for its day. It had a rear view camera(see below) of the mechanic waiting around for the trailer hitch. For those brave souls willing to take their chances, the rear view camera was optional.

Sincerely,

Stimpy

Amazing pics Stimpy, thanks! The car I want more than anything, is either a 1953-54 Cadillac Eldorado, or a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. I love those huge, beautiful cars. I also love American muscle cars from the 60's and early 70's as well.

BIG time, I love cars, especially classic American cars. My first car, when I was 18 back in 1988 was a 1959 Ford Thunderbird. I then partially rebuilt a 1954 Chevy pickup truck, and sold it. I tend to favor GM products but love various models of every make from the 50's through the 70's.

What do you think about this example?

Amazing pics Stimpy, thanks! The car I want more than anything, is either a 1953-54 Cadillac Eldorado, or a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz. I love those huge, beautiful cars. I also love American muscle cars from the 60's and early 70's as well.

Dear Abe,

Another offspring built on the same chassis in 1953 was the very beautiful and sporty Buick Skylark that is every bit as grand as the Caddy, with fully opened wheel openings and the most gorgeous real wire wheels all standard. Unfortunately the 1954 Biuick Skylark was ugly as shit, and has much disputed family bloodlines compared with the lovely 1953. As a common thing done to make a car look sleaker, the factory cut down the height of the windshield abd side windows for both the Buick Skylark and the Caddie Eldo and they were considered semi-factory customs. The standard convertibles weren't nearly as lucky in the styling department. These two examples are both considered as a bona fied classics.

Getting into the late 60's and early 70's, I have always loved the 1964 Buick Riviera(which was intended to really be introduced as a Cadillac Eldorado until Caddie got cold feet. Then they substituted a Buick dashboard and power plant and that is how we got the 63-64 Riviera. The 64 is preferred because it was the first year without the Dynaflow transmission replaced by the modern GM TurboHydramatic 400 and much superior in performance. Another noteable car is the 1968(hidden headlights and disk brakes with a minimum of smog controls) and 70 Eldorados(500 cu. in./400 horsepower and super thin taillights) that had that razor edge styling and the horsepower to go with itl

Obviously, I could go on and on talking about cars because they were, since age 4, my first hardcore obsession long before hormones got into the picture.

Sincerely,

Stimpy

Attachments

• 53-Buick-Skylark-76X_DV-09_GG_001.jpg
    53-Buick-Skylark-76X_DV-09_GG_001.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 1953-Buick-Skylark-Matador-Red-seats.jpg
    1953-Buick-Skylark-Matador-Red-seats.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 250px-Skylark-Wiki-Side-View-D.jpg
    250px-Skylark-Wiki-Side-View-D.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 63
Can you say 1953 Buick Skylark

Stimpy,

What is the white car? That is awesome.

Dearest Tim,

They are both examples of the 1953 Buick Skylark. Those wire wheels, back when I was a kid in 1953 (age 5), practically gave me a heart attack they glittered so! I remember it to this very day with its spinners and the Buick tri-color in the center of the spinner (red/white/blue). Buick's emblem was a tri-shield in the day. This was the first year of a modern overhead valve V-8 for Buick, in place of their trusty straight 8. This was when GM could honestly claim they were a world wide automotive leader, having the best styling in the world.

Sincerely,

Stimpy

What do you know about this car Stimpy?

Stimpy, one like this was my only car all during the 80s here on the island. It had been brought over by an immigrant from Montpelier and put on the market by his family when he died. It needed a lot of work and it was great to see it emerge from the dusty uncared-for vehicle I bought and into its own as the bright shiny car I loved. People would pull up beside me at traffic lights and beg to buy it on the spot. I sold it when I went to Barcelona to teach since it needed to be driven and I couldn't take it out often enough. Do you know anything about these wonderful autos? Same nationality as your forbears...

Attachments

• 1269273885_CitroenTractionAvant.jpg
    1269273885_CitroenTractionAvant.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 18
Traction Avant Citroën, where else but from France

Dearest Slim,

But of course! The Model you refer to is the Traction Avant Citroën 1934-57 with the everpresent Double Chevron" proudly displayed across the front grill, every bit as distinctive and recognizable as the Mercedes Benz "Three-pointed Star". Citroën throughout its history has displayed its preference for innovation through engineering. I have never understood why French cars, other than poorly conceived Renaults in the 50's and 60's, have not had a better representation here in the US like Italian cars have. The first I have always wanted to own one, but have never been privileged enough by ownership. What can you tell me about your "Traction Avant Citroën" I saw was in a black and white "Film Noire" movie of a criminal in France who had a young child. It seems he got shot and that is about all that I remember of the film other than the indellible image burned into my memory of the crime car, a sexy and low slung black Traction Avant Citroën shot under low-light conditions.

Even the comical Citroën 2CV used with Peter Sellers in "The Pink Panther" series of shows demonstrated the French sense of humor about something so reveered as basic/practical transportation, here now immortalized as something not quite so practical as the "Silver Hornet".

http://youtu.be/FEFfISdA8LQ

Long before I even understood their advanced technology, I have long respected the Traction Avant Citroën by appearance alone. I have always loved the DS model that followed your Traction Avant Citroën. They were light years ahead of anything else. Then there was the SM sport coupe with the Maserati V6 engine and the adherence to aerodynamic design brought out in 1972.

I have always wanted to own one, but have never been privileged enough by actual ownership. What can you tell me about your Traction Avant Citroën?

Sincerely,

Stimpy

Slim,

That is an awesome car. I am driving a Ford Truck 150. Not so sexy.