• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall - Hurricane Sandy

Glad you're okay Mike but pissed off that you couldn't name the rest of your friends on your post. My thoughts go out to the families of the 33 people (UK reports) that have passed on as a result of this terrible storm.
Thanks again to Robert, Ms. K, Laura, JLipps, Robb, Grace, Stimpy, Johnny and Jon for all your loving kind thoughts and words.

I didn't think you would notice my slight Jon, as I figured you are busy running all over London town with Tampa. :blush:

And seriously it has been a killer storm, and I do thank God that myself, my family and friends were kept out of harm's way.

Thank you God!

Dearest Mikeyank:angel:,

I want you to know how truly grateful I am that you made it through safely, if not somewhat inconvenienced by flooded subways, possible power outages. and just the general disruption to one's life this storm will indirectly create for you and your fellow New Yorkers and surrounding states for the days and weeks to come.

Mikeyank, you are indeed blessed to get through this all.

Gratefully,

Stimpy

Thanks again to Robert, Ms. K, Laura, JLipps, Robb, Grace, Stimpy, Johnny and Jon for all your loving kind thoughts and words.

I didn't think you would notice my slight Jon, as I figured you are busy running all over London town with Tampa. :blush:

And seriously it has been a killer storm, and I do thank God that myself, my family and friends were kept out of harm's way.

Mikey, I just thank God that you and yours were spared any of the horrific events produced by this storm. I really was worried that you might be in the dark, without power, unable to communicate with us! Continued good fortune my friend.

Now it is the weekend after the storm. While I came out unscathed by the storm, millions of people in the area still have no power, as the weather turns colder, and others no food, and no homes to go back to. I watched a feature on television tonight, about Long Beach, Long Island which is a narrow strip of land surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean and the bay. My family had a bungalow as a summer home there, and I spent the first 14 summers of my life out there. Well today the entire town is a total mess, with wind and water having destroyed most of it, and I saw a feature on a part of town near the ocean where the sand dunes blew into peoples houses knocking them over or now leaving several feet of sand in their living rooms and streets. It is a total mess.

The NYC Marathon was going to take place on Sunday, and the mayor was finally convinced to call it off today, as the cops and sanitation would be busy with runners through our streets, while people have no homes, or power or food. Even the police department protested and the mayor finally gave in.

Throughout the area, we cannot get gas for our cars, with a new shortage. I am using the subway for the time being, but there are lines at all gas stations that have gas, where people are waiting for up to five hours and then are limited to how much they can purchase.

But I am extremely lucky, with my limited problems as the area tries to regroup and start to rebuild. What a mess!

The lights come back on in Manhattan

I found this interesting photograph taken Friday night at 9 PM from my neighborhood Brooklyn Heights on a local website.

It shows lower Manhattan, where power has been restored to much of the Lower East Side and East Village and parts of Chelsea. But Battery Park and the Wall Street area remain without electricity. By today all of Manhattan should have their power back, but that is not the case in parts of Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island, not to mention other area like New Jersey and Long Island.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2012-11-02-at-9_30_53-PM-420x223.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2012-11-02-at-9_30_53-PM-420x223.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 35
Two Years Later

Today is the two year anniversary of Super Storm Sandy, and while I was very fortunate as I live on high ground, in Brooklyn Heights, many other parts of the New York metropolitan area have still not rebuilt and some never will, in Coney Island, Staten Island, Far Rockaway, parts of Long Island, the Jersey Shore and many more are still feeling the effects two years later.

Here are some dramatic pictures of what Mother Nature did to this area two years ago tonight.

131025221600-01-sandy-before-after-horizontal-gallery.jpg

131025221625-03-sandy-before-after-horizontal-gallery.jpg

131025221652-05-sandy-before-after-horizontal-gallery.jpg

131025221719-07-sandy-before-after-horizontal-gallery.jpg

131025221900-15-sandy-before-after-horizontal-gallery.jpg

131025221924-17-sandy-before-after-horizontal-gallery.jpg

As bad as it was Mike, I guess it made people up in the north east think of what the south east get so regular. It doesn't make it right, but it's worth thinking about. Last year we had terrible rain this time of year and many southern counties were submerged in water for months. I think I am fortunate that I live quite high up in the North East of the uk but a few years ago we had a flash flood which destroyed our garden. My mother was in bits but I said at least our home is safe - and we both got about fixing the garden.