• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Where are you on Google Maps or Earth

joninliverton

BSB Addict
Reaction score
Chafu and myself have been having some fun on another thread about the location and my lack of knowledge of states in the USA. As we all know Google maps or Google earth allow you to put in a post code or zip code or even a street name anywhere in the world and one can see what kind of town or city you live in.

My post code is DL14 7QZ and if you type it into google maps and choose the earth view you will see a small town to the south and east and to the west and north open countryside - this is where I take my dog out for walks and where I go for a jog. The map is quite misleading because the area to the west is a valley - note the river - so it's an easy jog down the bank to the river but a struggle to run back up, but it's good exercise.

And before any bright spark states that Bishop Auckland is not Leeds then you are quite correct. Leeds is where I work and share an appt with a friend, but I class Bishop Auckland as my home.

High Point, NC 27265 is where I am located. It is the furniture capital of the world. We have 2 markets a year which bring in thousands of people from all over the world. I live in what is called the Triad. It is actually 3 cities which are less than 20 miles from each other. Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_Triad

High Point, NC 27265 is where I am located. It is the furniture capital of the world. We have 2 markets a year which bring in thousands of people from all over the world. I live in what is called the Triad. It is actually 3 cities which are less than 20 miles from each other. Greensboro, High Point and Winston-Salem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_Triad

Just checked it out on google maps and I'm begining to learn more about your states already. I have zoomed into the bit where the letter A appears when I typed in your zip code and I note a street called Sparrowhawk Drive. What a wonderfull street name, the Sparrowhawk is one of the most beautifull birds of prey in the world. Nice big lake to the west too. :thumbup:

I'm on Earth. I think....

Unless someone tells the computer to, "End program". :001_tongue:

I'm AZ 85710...I just played with Google Earth for the last hour. I love it.

Near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in a northern suburb. zip code is 16066, which is quite a well develped township. i live on the outer rim of that, on 10 acres of wooded terrain. its a beautiful area.

Thanks guys and gals, I shall take a look from the google spaceship tomorrow. I'm too tired now after watching the world cup final. Go Spain Go. xx

US Postal codes (we call them "zip codes"), unlike regions of the US, do tend to be logical. They are all five digit numbers, starting with 0 for the most easterly part of the US. I lived in St Croix in the US Virgin Islands for a year, and our zip was something like 00215. Now I live in Guam which is considered the most western part of the US and my zip is 96913.

Numbers are fun! I'm a Math teacher in my real life (going on 37 years this coming school year).

You can figure out what region a person lives in by their phone area code as well, but there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to how those were assigned.

I've tried to use Google Earth to check out some of the places I've lived before, but am rarely able to zoom in close enough to see adequate detail. I can see where I live now.
And I can see the building I lived in when I lived in Istanbul. But I've fallen short with other places.

Is there a trick to using that site?

Chafu213

Old Times!!!

I live in Brooklyn Heights 11201

I lived in the Heights for 2 years, in 94, 95. I lived on Montague St above a Polish restaurant that I can't remember the name of (Leena's??? She was my landlord and also had a restaurant on the Lower Eastside). I really loved the Heights, the great brownstones and the fruit streets (Pineapple and Cranberry) and especially the Promenade. I had lived in Manhattan for 7 years and finally escaped to Brooklyn. Spent a lot of time on the F train!!! After living in the Heights, I moved down a neighborhood to Cobble Hill. Two years later I moved to Seattle where I had lived before living in NY. I live in a burb now, 98155.

I lived in the Heights for 2 years, in 94, 95. I lived on Montague St above a Polish restaurant that I can't remember the name of (Leena's??? She was my landlord and also had a restaurant on the Lower Eastside). I really loved the Heights, the great brownstones and the fruit streets (Pineapple and Cranberry) and especially the Promenade. I had lived in Manhattan for 7 years and finally escaped to Brooklyn. Spent a lot of time on the F train!!! After living in the Heights, I moved down a neighborhood to Cobble Hill. Two years later I moved to Seattle where I had lived before living in NY. I live in a burb now, 98155.
The Polish restaurant is called Theresa's, still there on Montague St., with good inexpensive meals. And if joninliverton is reading this, Bob Dylan lived on Montague Street, and sang about it in "Tangled Up In Blue". Norman Mailer and Truman Capote are famous folks who lived here too.

The Heights is still a great neighborhood with the brownstones, and the great view of the Statue of Liberty, and the Manhattan skyline too from the Promenade.

Nice to meet you, former neighbor. :thumbup1:

Nice to hear from another Seattle-ite! I'm a 98115. It's interesting to hear about the Zips from other members as I'm still working for the Postal Service. Get ready for the new generation Zip. Mine is 98115-3957-75-69

98115 = state and city
3957 = postal zone and office
75 = postal route number and carrier
69 = last two numbers of my address

If the Postal Service is correct in its coding and application, you could send a letter to Richard Noggin C/O 98115-3957-75-69 and I would get it. The Postal Service is doing this so the new generation of computers that are used to read the mail will only have to read numbers and the mail sort will have fewer errors. Still....the carrier will have to be able to read!!! :biggrin:

And we will have to remember all those numbers! I still can't remember my PLUS 4 digits, so stick to the first 5 standard zip code digits.

I lived in NYC for a couple years while I got my Masters at Columbia. Amsterdam Ave near 123rd St. Taught school in the South Bronx. That was an interesting experience.
Certainly toughened me up as a teacher. Loved the kids!

Forward
Chafu213

Jeez what if your handwriting is bad, the mail could go anywhere ? Thanks again for participating in this geographical lesson.

The Polish restaurant is called Theresa's, still there on Montague St., with good inexpensive meals. And if joninliverton is reading this, Bob Dylan lived on Montague Street, and sang about it in "Tangled Up In Blue". Norman Mailer and Truman Capote are famous folks who lived here too.

The Heights is still a great neighborhood with the brownstones, and the great view of the Statue of Liberty, and the Manhattan skyline too from the Promenade.

Nice to meet you, former neighbor. :thumbup1:

Theresa's, how could I forget! The place kept me alive. Actual good healthy food. She was in there a lot, but sat alone and watched the staff, most of whom were, excuse the expression, just off the boat. There was also a good Indian restaurant on Montague and a great Chinese place on one of the side streets south of Montague.
Sorry, don't mean to go too far down memory lane, but it was a fun place to live. Walking the streets could bring you upon all kinds of architectural treasures and great vistas. Also loved the antique stores on Atlantic...

And we will have to remember all those numbers! I still can't remember my PLUS 4 digits, so stick to the first 5 standard zip code digits.

I lived in NYC for a couple years while I got my Masters at Columbia. Amsterdam Ave near 123rd St. Taught school in the South Bronx. That was an interesting experience.
Certainly toughened me up as a teacher. Loved the kids!

Forward
Chafu213

When I lived in Manhattan I got my Masters at NYU and lived in the West Village on Horatio St, then Barrow St and later in Chelsea on 23rd St. Gay ghetto all the way. It was great being around Washington Square going to school, but Manhattan was too intense for me. I liked Brooklyn more. But I did have more sex in Manhattan!!! Easy access, 24/7.