• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

"WEED ARE THE WORLD" - Pot's most popular drug

mikeyank

Long time forumite
Reaction score
While I attended college between 1968-1972, I discovered marijuana, and it was commonly assumed that by the time we were all adults, that pot would be sold in stores in packs of pre-rolled joints, much as cigarettes are. Considering that alcohol is legal, and far more dangerous than pot, I am constantly amazed that in 2013, it is still classified as an illegal drug.

I read today in the New York Daily News, that pot is the most popular drug in the world. I posted the link for the entire article below, but I quote:

"The survey didn’t explain why pot is globally so popular, but it comes just days after researchers in the Netherlands found tokers responded to negative images or emotions in a more positive way when stoned.

A University Medical Center Utrecht study found that THC, the mind-altering ingredient in marijuana, was beneficial to the emotion-processing cerebral regions of the brain.

“THC administration reduces the negative bias in emotional processing,” the report, published this week in the European Neuropsychopharmacology journal, concluded.

Meanwhile, the Obama administration announced Thursday that it won’t sue to challenge laws legalizing marijuana in 20 states.

The Justice Department said states are allowed to let people use weed and license farmers to grow it as long as it's kept away from children and off the black market."

So I suppose that Dylan may have been correct that, "The Times They Are A-Changin'" but apparently very slowly.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...-global-study-illicit-drugs-article-1.1441113

I tried some for the first time in amsterdam a few years back. I made a big mistake of taking it whilst I drinking alcohol and I lost 3 hours of my life just wondering around the place in a world of my own.

In case you all didn't know, last fall Washington and Colorado states passed a legalization of Marijuana law. Our Governor just got back from DC where he had an meeting with the feds on their take of this new law. They will not interfene with the 2 states as long as 8 rules are kept. In a nut shell 1. Illegal to cross state lines 2. Taxed correctly 3. Selling to minors etc.

While I attended college between 1968-1972, I discovered marijuana, and it was commonly assumed that by the time we were all adults, that pot would be sold in stores in packs of pre-rolled joints, much as cigarettes are. Considering that alcohol is legal, and far more dangerous than pot, I am constantly amazed that in 2013, it is still classified as an illegal drug.

I read today in the New York Daily News, that pot is the most popular drug in the world. I posted the link for the entire article below, but I quote:

"The survey didn’t explain why pot is globally so popular, but it comes just days after researchers in the Netherlands found tokers responded to negative images or emotions in a more positive way when stoned.

A University Medical Center Utrecht study found that THC, the mind-altering ingredient in marijuana, was beneficial to the emotion-processing cerebral regions of the brain.

“THC administration reduces the negative bias in emotional processing,” the report, published this week in the European Neuropsychopharmacology journal, concluded.

Meanwhile, the Obama administration announced Thursday that it won’t sue to challenge laws legalizing marijuana in 20 states.

The Justice Department said states are allowed to let people use weed and license farmers to grow it as long as it's kept away from children and off the black market."

So I suppose that Dylan may have been correct that, "The Times They Are A-Changin'" but apparently very slowly.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...-global-study-illicit-drugs-article-1.1441113

Back in the day, it was Preludins for me from the mid-60's to mid-70's; mid-70's to mid-80's- "black beauties"; mid-80's to mid-90's - coke. No not an addict - lol - usage as circumstance allowed; fortunately for me I don't have an addictive personality. Tried weed a few times, but never like it's mellowing effects; I like the hi-energy of the others. Every so often I and a few friends will reminisce about the old days and wish we had few lines to do; but as I always say, if I did them, I'd have to take extra blood pressure pills - lol!!!

Kudos, mikey, for getting this thread on the correct "side" of the forum - lol!!

In case you all didn't know, last fall Washington and Colorado states passed a legalization of Marijuana law. Our Governor just got back from DC where he had an meeting with the feds on their take of this new law. They will not interfene with the 2 states as long as 8 rules are kept. In a nut shell 1. Illegal to cross state lines 2. Taxed correctly 3. Selling to minors etc.
Peter, as much as I love New York, you are enticing me to make a cross country move to the state of Washington. You keep telling me about the temperate climate, the beautiful mountains and now.....................legal pot too. :thumbup:

Legalizing drugs, like marijuana, comes down to economics, like most things. I see a real benefit in its legalization, but I don't think it will happen in my lifetime; just my opinion.

Kudos, mikey, for getting this thread on the correct "side" of the forum - lol!!
Dear Stowe, while there is a commonly used internet term "lol" = laugh out loud, but you literally had me laughing out loud after reading that quip. That was just what I needed after a tough work week approaching the Labor Day weekend.

Thanks Stowe and I wish all forumites a great weekend!

Legalizing drugs, like marijuana, comes down to economics, like most things. I see a real benefit in its legalization, but I don't think it will happen in my lifetime; just my opinion.
You are probably right Beth, but as Peter told us it is happening in some states, and as with same sex marriage our country is evolving, perhaps at a snails pace, but we are making progress.

I don't think that marijuana should be legalised anywhere in the world. It is the thin end of the wedge and would soon be followed by calls for the legislation of other drugs.

Ha! This thread instantly made me smile and transported me back to a whole other life time...

You are probably right Beth, but as Peter told us it is happening in some states, and as with same sex marriage our country is evolving, perhaps at a snails pace, but we are making progress.

It's actually very prevalent in Alaska. Most times you can smell where the bar is long before you see it. But it is the Federal levels of government who are pushing the states to crack down on its use. Withholding funding, taking away various economic subsidies all in the name of curtailing a drug that is and has been for decades, very popular in the US.

I don't think that marijuana should be legalised anywhere in the world. It is the thin end of the wedge and would soon be followed by calls for the legislation of other drugs.

Wait a minute, take a look at Amsterdam. Seen as one of the best places to live in the world, a literacy rate second to none, an education system the US should be modeling and striving for, one of the safest places to be....and yes, legalized pot (as well as prostitution). Works for me....:thumbup1:

Wait a minute, take a look at Amsterdam. Seen as one of the best places to live in the world, a literacy rate second to none, an education system the US should be modeling and striving for, one of the safest places to be....and yes, legalized pot (as well as prostitution). Works for me....:thumbup1:

Holland is indeed a very liberalised country and good luck to them. I have visited Holland many a time and I love the place but if you tried to introduce that kind of liberty into the UK then it wouldn't work. I'm afraid and not proud to say it, but there are far too many bad people in the uk and that leashing that kind of liberty would just increase crime even more.

oh we passed same-sex marriage also!! For all the high-tech companies we have here, we are a laid back coffee drinking mecca of hippies. Great place to live and visit too!