• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

The War on Drugs

tim114

Reaction score
The US has had a war on drugs forever. And it is not winning the war. In fact the war is making the problem worse. I include alcohol and tobacco as drugs. These have been dealt with to some extent. And, yes, they cause problems. Just finished a book, Amexica by Ed Julliany. It seems Mexico is becoming a failed state because of the drug wars. I think it is time for another approach. Your comments ....

Tim114

The US has had a war on drugs forever. And it is not winning the war. In fact the war is making the problem worse. I include alcohol and tobacco as drugs. These have been dealt with to some extent. And, yes, they cause problems. Just finished a book, Amexica by Ed Julliany. It seems Mexico is becoming a failed state because of the drug wars. I think it is time for another approach. Your comments ....

Tim114

"War on drugs" is just a play on words, just like "global war on terrorism" was during the George W. Bush era. You don't go to war against a thing, nor a technique. You go to war against a specific enemy of the state, with a strategy for victory (i.e. war against Japan after Pearl Harbor and Nazi Germany, war against Al Queda after the 9/11/2001 attacks).

When people say things like war on drugs, war on poverty, war on terrorism, it's just a saying in my opinion kind of like if you were to go to war on high gas prices or war on bad hair.

Abe

Way to go!

"War on drugs" is just a play on words, just like "global war on terrorism" was during the George W. Bush era. You don't go to war against a thing, nor a technique. You go to war against a specific enemy of the state, with a strategy for victory (i.e. war against Japan after Pearl Harbor and Nazi Germany, war against Al Queda after the 9/11/2001 attacks).

When people say things like war on drugs, war on poverty, war on terrorism, it's just a saying in my opinion kind of like if you were to go to war on high gas prices or war on bad hair.

Abe

Dear Abe,

Just another great observation!

Sincerely,

Stimpy

Tim114

Just the other day, I briefly tuned into a documentary about marijuana and the problems in Mexico, and how the new president there was committed to fighting the drug war, including the corruption brought about by the drug lords and the rampant violence and killing. I had heard about this some time ago, and wondered then as I do now why the US hasn't assisted Mexico more than it has. We send our armies thousands of miles overseas to fight terrorists, when we have a serious problem at our own borders.

If marijuana were legalized, it would go a long way to neutralizing the power these drug lords have. No amount of criminalizing will ultimately address the demand. I don't know what the answer is to the drug war, but what's been done so far hasn't and isn't working. But like anything, a whole justice system industry has been built around putting people in jail. There are factions who have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, which includes political forces. I feel this is the main impediment to dealing with the drug problem.

One sure-fired remedy

Dear Balboa,

None of the drug trade would exist were it not for the consumers. I don't do marijuana or even tobacco. Therefore, I don't contribute to this problem. All of this could stop immediately if we as a society got together and said "enough is enough". What is so hard about that other than getting a consensus of the people?

Sincerely,

Stimpy

Dear Balboa,

None of the drug trade would exist were it not for the consumers. I don't do marijuana or even tobacco. Therefore, I don't contribute to this problem. All of this could stop immediately if we as a society got together and said "enough is enough". What is so hard about that other than getting a consensus of the people?

Well, that certainly would solve the problem, and ultimately it could work, just as I can certainly envision a time when people no longer use tobacco products. However, in the interim, making criminals out of people who do drugs isn't the answer either.:001_unsure: