• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Selling gifts handed down to you

joninliverton

BSB Addict
Reaction score
With the price of gold sky high of late, I decided to check out some chav bling I bought a few years ago whilst on holiday, plus some gifts I had been given by members of the family.

I took them to a jeweller on Tuesday and the chains I bought for 250 were worth 830 and the gold bracelet handed down from my late father 850. I had no reservations about selling the stuff I had bought but did think a bit about my dads bracelet so I called my step mother and she said go for it. So here I am now, 1680 pounds better off and now considering selling some watches I have also been given as presents and hand me downs, but never ever used.

So is selling presents or hand me downs immoral or just reaping on good investments ?

Immoral consequences...

With the price of gold sky high of late, I decided to check out some chav bling I bought a few years ago whilst on holiday, plus some gifts I had been given by members of the family.

I took them to a jeweller on Tuesday and the chains I bought for 250 were worth 830 and the gold bracelet handed down from my late father 850. I had no reservations about selling the stuff I had bought but did think a bit about my dads bracelet so I called my step mother and she said go for it. So here I am now, 1680 pounds better off and now considering selling some watches I have also been given as presents and hand me downs, but never ever used.

So is selling presents or hand me downs immoral or just reaping on good investments ?

Dearest jon,

Giving someone a gift should be done in a manner where the recipient has full and complete freedom to use as he sees fit, provided it is a "gift".

Giving someone something with strings attached isn't truly a gift. It is merely a loan or an unending obligation without extending full ownership rights, as associated with a family heirloom that is expected to be handed down to future generations.

So, without the expectations associated with a "family heirloom", I would believe you are well within your rights as an owner and bares not immoral consequences.

Sincerely,

Stimpy

My understanding is that a true gift is a gift. It is yours to do with as you please. If you have no sentimantal attachment to it then their should be no issue. When people die they are not here in this physical form any longer nor do they have use for money or material objects and wealth. So, having lived a physical exixtence they recognize the necessity for money in the world of the physical. I think you are in the clear to do what you please. As far as selling off gifts that were given from people that are still alive; what they don't know can't hurt them. I would be honest if they ask about their gift. "I haven't seen it in a while. I know where it is at and I am sure I will find it someday."

Last edited:
My understanding is that a true gift is a gift. It is yours to do with as you please. If you have no sentimantal attachment to it then their should be no issue. When people die they are not here in this physical form any longer nor do they have use for money or material objects and wealth. So, having lived a physical exixtence they recognize the necessity for money in the world of the physical. I think you are in the clear to do what you please. As far as selling off gifts that were given from people that are still alive; what they don't know can't hurt them. I would be honest if they ask about their gift. "I haven't seen it in a while. I know where it is at and I am sure I will find it someday."

Thanks for that, I shall take my dad's watch to some jewellers next week. It's not that I don't want it but I have quite few and they will also go under the hammer. As I have no intentions of having kids of my own, and as my sister's kids are greedy bitches, then I feel happy to do as I please and enjoy the money. Thanks for your support Jay and Stimpy xx

Selling gifts

Hey jon,

I'll probably sound a bit like jayman here. :biggrin:

We are born with nothing physical but ourselves and go out the same way. I'm not one for holding onto material things that I no longer use but I do have a few momentos that I keep to remind me of some people dear to me.

I think my memories of time spent with people far more valuable than any material items. I would feel comfortable effectively changing a gift from one thing to another but would probably be mindful of the person if I have a little attachment to it, like not selling my mum's jewelry and spending it on drugs and hookers! haha (not suggesting you would do this).

When buying something new, I think it would be fun to think what the oringinal gift giver would think.

Undie (good question jon)

Jon,

A gift is a gift is a gift. In my book your free to do with them as you wish.

But let me give you a little advice on selling gold. Don't take the first offer you receive. There are many dealers who will pay as low as possible, especially if the seller has no idea how much gold is in an item. As a coin collector I see all the time ads and dealer offering great prices, but cheating the unknown. So if possible get several offers and go with the best.

Live Long and Prosper

Vicekid

We all need at least one momento

Hey jon,

I'll probably sound a bit like jayman here. :biggrin:

We are born with nothing physical but ourselves and go out the same way. I'm not one for holding onto material things that I no longer use but I do have a few momentos that I keep to remind me of some people dear to me.

I think my memories of time spent with people far more valuable than any material items. I would feel comfortable effectively changing a gift from one thing to another but would probably be mindful of the person if I have a little attachment to it, like not selling my mum's jewelry and spending it on drugs and hookers! haha (not suggesting you would do this).

When buying something new, I think it would be fun to think what the oringinal gift giver would think.

Undie (good question jon)

Dear Undie,

I have to agree with you when it comes to those special people and the memories associated with them. My mother died 10 years ago. Yet, even today, I have kept all the writings and poetry written by her and any remaining artwork, unable to discard them knowing how much they were a true labor of love for her. In that she was a perfectionist in everything she did, there may be multiple copies and I cannot tell which is the final version. Yet, I continue to hold on to them out of love and respect for her. As far as I am concerned, this is her legacy to me.

The only family heirloom I have is from my paternal grandfather. He was a conductor for the railroad and his railroad certified Hamilton pocket watch dating in the early 1930's works perfectly and looks as new even today. I never knew my grandfather as he died when I was only 1 year old, yet this watch has been my link to his memory throughout my life and I treasure it so. I could never part with this momento.

Sincerely,

Stimpy

P.S. What fate they have instore after my death is anyone's guess.

Jon,

A gift is a gift is a gift. In my book your free to do with them as you wish.

But let me give you a little advice on selling gold. Don't take the first offer you receive. There are many dealers who will pay as low as possible, especially if the seller has no idea how much gold is in an item. As a coin collector I see all the time ads and dealer offering great prices, but cheating the unknown. So if possible get several offers and go with the best.

Live Long and Prosper

Vicekid

Great advice Vicekid...:thumbup:

I went to a few dealers before I came up with a good offer. Contrary to those people who think I failed the 11+ I do have some intelligence and the 1680 pounds I received for a personal outlay of 250 is good profit in my eyes. I could have left it another 6 months and the price of gold could have crashed - don't be too greedy was my old man's motto.

Incidentally, I have kept lots of my dad's and family pics in an album and as my dad sang as a soloist in a Welsh choir, I have those memories too Thanks to all that have responded so honestly, I appreciate it. Love as always xxxjonxxx - note 3 x's today

Jon.

Seems as everyone is in agreement. A gift is yours to do with as you see fit.
As for heirlooms. You can always ask family members if they have use for an heirloom that you want to discard. It is difficult for those of us without children to think of what to do with our material wealth, once we are gone. All the more reason to get rid of it.
Immoral? In your case, I think the only thing immoral is for you to not benefit from your own material wealth, yourself.