• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

November 22, 1963 - President Kennedy Assassinated

What a Great Post Robb. Timeless. Truly was the end of Innocence as We new it. 9/11 Frist time we all came together for awhile.
Time stood still for a while. We all Loved each other for a while. We all were one. For a While. And Marshall. Funny I just saw the movie Sunday.
Such a tragedy. So much grief. Never to be forgotten by the people that were there. But good to see in the Movie at least the people really did come together. Even in there Grief.
Ya..Robb ...Great Post. I hope You will be around many years to post it again and again. Timeless..
THANK YOU..
Have a real Nice Thanksgiving Robb...My Friend..xoxoxo Johnny...:smiley-love021:

Thanks so much, Johnny. How did you get your hands on that movie...it wasn't exactly a hit. lol The story of the dead football player and the waitress was made up, but the rest of the movie was pretty accurate. You must really be bored. lol

I was a sophomore at Marshall when it happened and my mind just went numb when I heard the news. The only thing I could think to do is just go to bed. When I awoke the next morning, I thought it had been just a horrible dream, until I opened up my morning newspaper and saw the red headlines, "MARSHALL PLANE CRASH..." Not going to lie, it was a rough period in my life.

I'm roasting a turkey breast tomorrow, so if you happen to be in the neighborhood, stop by. Love you, buddy and you have a great Thanksgiving too.

It just occurred to me looking at todays date that Tuesday will be November 22, 2022 and that one year from Tuesday will be the sixtieth anniversary of the one day in my life that affected me more than any other, not including personal days in my life like dear friends or family members passings. September 11, 2001 comes in second for me in those feelings and remembering exactly where I was and who I was with.

I was in Junior High School and heard the tragic news from my shop teacher but this is how many Americans found out on television.

It just occurred to me looking at todays date that Tuesday will be November 22, 2022 and that one year from Tuesday will be the sixtieth anniversary of the one day in my life that affected me more than any other, not including personal days in my life like dear friends or family members passings. September 11, 2001 comes in second for me in those feelings and remembering exactly where I was and who I was with.

I was in Junior High School and heard the tragic news from my shop teacher but this is how many Americans found out on television.

I was in English class when the principal walked into the room and spoke very quietly with our teacher. After she left, our teacher looked at us and told us that the president had been shot. Not long afterward they dismissed us all to go home. I remember that day so very clearly. It was a cold, rainy day. I started to walk home but my dad met me about halfway and gave me a ride. It is embedded in my memory as nothing else.

Last edited:

Your generation had Kennedy, and mine was 9/11. I will never forget where I was and who told me to turn on the TV in the boardroom where I was working. I was with a coworker watching the tragedy unfold when the second plane hit. She let out such a blood curdling scream and she continued screaming "my friend and her little baby are supposed to be there." It sent ice chills down my spine. Hours later they were able to get a call back to her to say that they woke up late and decided to skip the observation deck that day.

It is embedded in my memory as nothing else.

Same for me Juanjo. 9/11/01 was 21 years ago and 11/22/63 was 59 years ago, yet they are both emblazoned in my memory as if it was yesterday. We were living in an age of innocence in 1963. Assassinations happened in third world countries and in our history books from the long ago past. But our innocence and sense of safety were shattered that day. It was just the beginning in a string of senseless murders which continues today, but back then it was an impossible concept to comprehend.

I clearly remember Lincoln's assassination from my youth!

I clearly remember Lincoln's assassination from my youth!
No, you are not that old. Starting in 1840, there was a deadly streak often assassinations for US presidents elected in a year ending in "0": in 1840, W. H. Harrison died in office, in 1860 Lincoln was assassinated while still President, in 1880 Garfield was assassinated the following year I believe, in 1900 McKinley was assassinated the following year, in 1920 Harding died in office I believe three years later, in 1940 FDR subsequently died in office, in 1960 JFK was assassinated, in 1980 Reagan nearly died from an assassination attempt but broke the streak by retiring from the White House alive.

No, you are not that old. Starting in 1840, there was a deadly streak often assassinations for US presidents elected in a year ending in "0": in 1840, W. H. Harrison died in office, in 1860 Lincoln was assassinated while still President, in 1880 Garfield was assassinated the following year I believe, in 1900 McKinley was assassinated the following year, in 1920 Harding died in office I believe three years later, in 1940 FDR subsequently died in office, in 1960 JFK was assassinated, in 1980 Reagan nearly died from an assassination attempt but broke the streak by retiring from the White House alive.
There are a few, whose assassination would have left the country better off.

P.S. This deadly streak was called "The Curse of Tecumsah" who was an Indian Chief defeated by then General William Henry Harrison in a big battle between the Army and the Indians between 1810 and 1820 in Indiana I believe. Tecumsah allegedly had a vision that someday Harrison would be elected US President in a year ending in "0" and put a curse on Harrison and all his successors who were elected President in a year ending in a "0" that they would never leave the White House alive. Sure enough Harrison was elected President in 1840 and the curse got him and all of his "0" year successors until Reagan, and the Curse nearly got Reagan as well. So Lincoln and JFK were the most prominent of the victims of the Curse of Tecumsah! Believe it or not, I was taught that in a college American History class!

I’ve been thinking a lot about how in two days it will be exactly sixty years since the most shocking and memorable day of my young life to date happened on November 22, 1963, when I got the news during Junior High School that President Kennedy had been shot and was taken to the hospital in Dallas. We soon learned that he died and school was let out early on that most memorable Friday afternoon. The day and my emotions are frozen in time.

I was planning to start a thread this Wednesday but searched the archives and decided to refresh this one from November 22, 2015, the 52nd commemoration of that shocking and tragic day.

I’ve been thinking a lot about how in two days it will be exactly sixty years since the most shocking and memorable day of my young life to date happened on November 22, 1963, when I got the news during Junior High School that President Kennedy had been shot and was taken to the hospital in Dallas. We soon learned that he died and school was let out early on that most memorable Friday afternoon. The day and my emotions are frozen in time.

I was planning to start a thread this Wednesday but searched the archives and decided to refresh this one from November 22, 2015, the 52nd commemoration of that shocking and tragic day.
It is sometimes hard to believe it has been that long - sixty years. Yet, I still remember it being a cold. rainy breezy day and me setting out from the school to walk home. It was the day I lost my innocence.

It was the day I lost my innocence.
Today is November 22, 2023, the sixty year commemoration of the day that I too “lost my innocence”, as juanjo so eloquently stated above.

I was ten years old when JFK was running for office. The only president I knew in my childhood was Dwight Eisenhower, an ‘old foggy’ in my eyes, and JFK was young and handsome and full of vigor. He represented the future to me. And at age 13 when I heard the shocking news in shop class, I was devastated. It can’t happen in America, I thought. There had never been an assassination in the USA in my young life. I thought that only happens in “banana republics”.

The whole day, a Friday was a blur as was the weekend, culminating in Sunday when I was on my way to meet my Boy Scout troop to go to a parade, when my friend Larry came running up to me to tell me that Lee Harvey Oswald had been shot and killed and live on television. It was an unreal drama playing out. The next day was a Monday and it was the funeral of our president. There was no school as we watched on TV. In fact, there was no regular television programming for the whole time between his assassination and the funeral.

It is almost impossible for me to believe that sixty years have passed since our president was taken from us.

IMG_2143.jpeg

It is sometimes hard to believe it has been that long - sixty years. Yet, I still remember it being a cold. rainy breezy day and me setting out from the school to walk home. It was the day I lost my innocence.
Yes it was 60 years ago today! I was just home from school packing to leave for a boy scout weekend camping trip, with our pet beagle giving birth downstairs, when JFK's death was announced, and our now late mother was in shock that all these things were happening at once! Similar to 9/11, this is one of those moments in history where everyone who was alive at that moment recalls exactly where they were and what they were doing.

Yes it was 60 years ago today! I was just home from school packing to leave for a boy scout weekend camping trip, with our pet beagle giving birth downstairs, when JFK's death was announced, and our now late mother was in shock that all these things were happening at once! Similar to 9/11, this is one of those moments in history where everyone who was alive at that moment recalls exactly where they were and what they were doing.
Indeed, everything is frozen in time. I mentioned that on Sunday I was outside in my Boy Scout uniform waiting to go to a march to honor JFK when I heard from my friend that Oswald had just gotten shot himself. And on the actual day, Friday November 22, I would go to a Cub Scout meeting every Friday after school where I was a helper to the den mother, I didn’t know what to do after we were dismissed from school and so I went to her house and rang the bell and asked if the meeting had been cancelled? She had tears in her eyes and told me to go home, that there would be no Cub Scout meeting that Friday. I was crying too and went home. I can see it all and feel the same emotions today, sixty years later.

If you have not read Stephen King's 11/22/63 book I highly recommend it. It deals with the JFK assassination and time travel and what ifs. I've probably read it 10 times LOL. Certainly one of my favorites.