• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Just for my friend, Kylebrand XOXOXOXOXO

Ambivalent

BSB Addict
Reaction score
Kyle, sweetheart -

Thank you for the kind and lovely message. I appreciated it, and it warmed my heart, so very much.

Yes, I am a Canadian, but also a Scotsman. My Grandfather came to this country from Scotland, in 1904, as a wee lad, and all his sisters (of course) with him.

Grand-Dad expired, when I was just a tot. But my Scottish Great-Aunts took me in hand. "Aye, A", they told me, whenever I misbehaved, in their rather thick Lowlands accent: "We've no room for a wee Englishman in this hoos, so ye'd better behave a as a PROPER SCOT. And not DISGRACE US!"

They are all gone, now. Aunt Edna was a famous couturier, who fashioned frocks for the rich and famous of this arctic land. (She also drank a quart of Scotch a day, and smoked a pack or two of Rothmans King-Size, every day: and, miraculously, lived to be 94 years old, her vices, notwithstanding.)

Aunt Marion was quite the opposite - temperate and abstemious. (My family runs to extremes, you see.) She was good and kind, and loved the Queen (as Scots abroad tend to do - the Empire found us homes, you see): and loved to do the New York Times crossword puzzle. Once, when I went to visit her, she enlisted me in this effort - but my crossword-puzzle-skills are baleful, at best (success in these endeavours has a lot more to do with skill in mathematics, than verbal facility): and she said, "Lad, ye're no really good at this, are ye?"

Probably, though, my favourite of them all was dear, dear, Aunt Jessie. She was kind, and sweet, and very frail. As a little lass, they were so poor (back in the old country) she developed rickets, and had to be carried about upon a pillow, until she was nine years old. Because of her frailty, she took to the library, and knew all the works of William Shakespeare, and Sir Walter Scott, from memory. (She had, like my dear sister, a photographic memory.)

Oh, Aunt Jessie loved me well. And though she is long, long gone, I miss her, so very much. She was, Kyle, the very incarnation of gentle kindness, and wisdom.

And, Kyle, you shall laugh. But some Sundays, when I sat in the parlour with my Scottish Great-Aunts, with the sun streaming in through the stained-glass window - the routine was always the same. I would play them a little piece upon the piano: usually something easy, by Handel. Then, Aunt Jessie would crank up the Gramophone - I'm not kidding you, this was in the early 1970's, but they still had the Gramophone my Grandfather purchased for his ailing sister (who didn't live) 40 years before - and we'd listen to Enrico Caruso. And then, all of them would tell me stories of Scotland, and bring out maps, and say:

"A - it is called the British Empire, but laddie, never forget: it is WE Scots who devised it, paid for it, managed it, and bled and died for it. England would be naught, but for the likes of US!"

Such fond, fond, memories, Kyle. They are all long-gone, now, all those Scottish Aunts, of mine. The last to depart was Aunt Marion, and, at her funeral reception, her children displayed fine photographs - tintypes, actually - of ALL THOSE sisters, when they visited Paris - eight decades (at least) before I first did. (They got to go on a grand European tour, because, my Great-Grandfather was a very good and successful farmer, and could afford it, as few Canadians could, in those days.)

Kyle, I was held in sheer fascination to see these ladies I knew and loved as very old ladies ~ young and vibrant, and beautiful, with extravagant hats, and parasols, walking down the Champs Elysees - amidst the horse-carts, and the quaint automobiles, of the day. For me, it was sheer MAGIC to have this little glimpse, into the past. . . . .

Kyle, the world has obviously changed - and it has changed a lot. I am a minor civil servant, who scribbles feverishly in a small cubicle, always writing, always hoping to please my masters.

I have no great hope of advancement - let alone wealth - but what I DO HAVE, is the love and friendship, of friends like you. I will never be rich. I will never be famous. But I feel. . . such a quiet CONTENTMENT, knowing people in the world, like you: with good and gracious hearts, and brilliant minds, who are such GOOD friends, to me. And who love to share, and hear, the beautiful stories of ALL our lives.

This is truly, a blessing beyond compare. Thank you Kyle, for being - YOU. And thank you so much for the beautiful, and very special, message you sent to me.

Love, your friend,
"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO

*This is one of the songs my Great-Aunts used to play for me, on the old RCA Victor gramophone records: Enrico Caruso singing, "E lucevan le stele". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjEoAXzJ9E

*And here is another one they loved - quite silly - "Grandfather's Bagpipes": but this was always played ONLY after I had passed my tests of piano-playing and recitation of verse: and when we were well into tea and scones!

Dearest "A"

Dearest "A",

Your words are beautiful, kind, and thoughtful. I am always quite content when reading your prose. It is a great thing to learn of our ancestors. I am completely involved with yours. I'll be thinking and pondering on them for many days, especially Aunt Jessie. Thank-you so much for sharing your great upbringing. Some day I'll relate mine. I researched for three years and found it to be fascinating at every turn. You are so kind, "A". You have lifted my spirits to heaven and back. You're a dear soul. What a great gift you have given me with this post. Thank-you. You are the definitive gentle man.

Fondest of regards, Your friend
Kyle XXOOXXOOXXOO

Last edited:
Kyle, sweetheart -

Thank you for the kind and lovely message. I appreciated it, and it warmed my heart, so very much. ...

What message of Kyle's are you talking about, ambi? Was it a PM? If so, why would you respond publicly? Obviously Kyle thought it was a private matter, why did you not respond in kind?

This post has nothing to do with this thread, obviously. I was just practicing a newly acquired skill.
Good Boy stowe...He is trying to teach me. It may be a losing battle? But will keep trying...
Good for You..We have a good teacher.:smiley-love021:
This student is a little slow.lol

Good Boy stowe...He is trying to teach me. It may be a losing battle? But will keep trying...
Good for You..We have a good teacher.:smiley-love021:
This student is a little slow.lol
But your so damn cute Johnny. I think I will leave you back on purpose so you can be in my class again next semester too. :smiley-love021:

appleTeacher.jpg

What a beautiful post Ambi. I loved every moment of hearing of your ancestors and your heritage. :)

What message of Kyle's are you talking about, ambi? Was it a PM? If so, why would you respond publicly? Obviously Kyle thought it was a private matter, why did you not respond in kind?

Dear Stowe:

Thank you for your kind concern. The origin and proximate cause of this message are between me and Kyle. I never have, and never shall, reveal a friend's confidences (however sweet or innocent) in public. However, my friendship for Kyle IS public - thus, the message you saw, supra.

I do not mind the world - even the world of the Broke Straight Boys message-board - knowing that I like and admire Kyle, and that I love to share stories, reminiscences, and ideas, with him. Thank you very much for your concern, though.

"A". XOXOXOXOXO

Dearest "A",

Your words are beautiful, kind, and thoughtful. I am always quite content when reading your prose. It is a great thing to learn of our ancestors. I am completely involved with yours. I'll be thinking and pondering on them for many days, especially Aunt Jessie. Thank-you so much for sharing your great upbringing. Some day I'll relate mine. I researched for three years and found it to be fascinating at every turn. You are so kind, "A". You have lifted my spirits to heaven and back. You're a dear soul. What a great gift you have given me with this post. Thank-you. You are the definitive gentle man.

Fondest of regards, Your friend
Kyle XXOOXXOOXXOO

Thank you, Kyle ~

You are such an amazing person: brilliant, perceptive, and kind. I cannot count the times when I have been down, when some kind word of yours has enabled me to face a new day, with just a little more confidence, and in a spirit of happiness. It is so lovely to know you, in every way.

Indeed I wish you could have known dear Aunt Jessie. So weak and frail of frame, and form - she was the model of compassion, and virtue. With her virtually photographic memory, she was the repository of all our family's stories, from the old days in the little stone house in Kilwinning, right down to the tale of every raindrop that fell against the stained-glass parlour window, here in Canada. She was a beautiful soul. Unlike me - she had not a trace of malice or wickedness in her heart. Having been deprived of an active life, in the great outdoors, she lived her life in the rich landscape of her literary imagination: a gift she shared with all of us. As she shared love. A great deal, of love.

Kyle, I am humbled and grateful, that these stories of my childhood had some resonance, for you. You too, are such a wonderful man, and I greatly look forward to YOUR stories, whenever you might have the leisure to recount them.

In very sincere love and friendship,
"A" XOXOXOXOXO

P.S. I hope to have the opportunity to go see Jan Lisiecki play, in June. Wish you could come! But, should I get a ticket to this highly-anticipated concert, I promise to give you a full report.

What a beautiful post Ambi. I loved every moment of hearing of your ancestors and your heritage. :)

Thank you, Tampa. I am too self-indulgent, by times (and who's kidding whom. . . almost ALL the time!): but, in fact, what are our lives, but a series of STORIES, which (if we are wise) we collect, recall, and treasure? To have the opportunity to share our stories, with people who genuinely CARE, is a unique and irreplaceable privilege.

Thank you,
"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO