• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Hide and seek: $ 21,000,000,000,000

rrhill

BSB Addict
Reaction score
[h=1]Wealth doesn't trickle down – it just floods offshore, new research reveals[/h]
Capital-flight-009.jpg

The world's super-rich have taken advantage of lax tax rules to siphon off at least $21 trillion, and possibly as much as $32tn, from their home countries and hide it abroad – a sum larger than the entire American economy.

James Henry, a former chief economist at consultancy McKinsey and an expert on tax havens, has conducted groundbreaking new research for the Tax Justice Network campaign group – sifting through data from the Bank for International Settlements (BIS), the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and private sector analysts to construct an alarming picture that shows capital flooding out of countries across the world and disappearing into the cracks in the financial system.

Comedian Jimmy Carr became the public face of tax-dodging in the UK earlier this year when it emerged that he had made use of a Cayman Islands-based trust to slash his income tax bill.

But the kind of scheme Carr took part in is the tip of the iceberg, according to Henry's report, entitled The Price of Offshore Revisited. Despite the professed determination of the G20 group of leading economies to tackle tax secrecy, investors in scores of countries – including the US and the UK – are still able to hide some or all of their assets from the taxman.

"This offshore economy is large enough to have a major impact on estimates of inequality of wealth and income; on estimates of national income and debt ratios; and – most importantly – to have very significant negative impacts on the domestic tax bases of 'source' countries," Henry says.

read full story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jul/21/offshore-wealth-global-economy-tax-havens

Very leftish paper that Robert lol.. xx

Just curious does left and right mean the same thing over there as here? In that the left refers to the wonderful Democrats such as myself and the right; well that's those other corrupt bastards. LOL

Just curious does left and right mean the same thing over there as here? In that the left refers to the wonderful Democrats such as myself and the right; well that's those other corrupt bastards. LOL

Yes left is right, and right is wrong...

Actually Robert, I did see a brief report on this very topic early this morning on a national network.

This is not about a self-made millionaire, evading some taxes. This is about the super super rich, the people that have more money than they ever can spend; they refuse to pay taxes. Sad isn't it?

Wouldn't you love to see the tax declarations over the last few years from Mitt Romney? Is he one of them?

Why not name 'm, blame 'm, shame 'm!

Last edited:
This is not about a self-made millionaire, evading some taxes. This is about the super super rich, the people that have more money than they ever can spend; they refuse to pay taxes. Sad isn't it?

Wouldn't you love to see the tax declarations over the last few years from Mitt Romney? Is he one of them?

Why not name 'm, blame 'm, shame 'm!
I see that you follow American politics quite closely Robert. Excellent question!!!

What does it matter, left or right. It is the haves and the have nots.
As an American I see our country going to just upper class and lower class, there is going to be no middle class with our current government. If are choices for President are going to be Obama or Romney, I am going submit a write in with Mickey Mouse!

The tax laws are written by the rich for the rich. You can say there are tax breaks for the poor but they never seem to help the poor. By poor I am not commenting on the people on welfare/assistance, I am commenting on the working poor who do not make enough to support themselves.

I have seen more friends families go bankrupt or loose their houses because they can't afford them due to the economy. Many, not all, are because they have lost their jobs or have taken paycuts, not because they live beyond their means.

Last edited:
Now you know the answer, the benefits from Bush tax cuts for the very rich, did not trickle down as Bill O'Reilly said they would. All that wealth from the super rich did flood offshore.

There's lots of extra work to do for the IRS... and oh so rewarding.

Isn't it remarkable that not a single banker went to jail for all the fraud that caused the 'financial crises'? Is the justice department a sleep, or do your politicians forbid prosecuting the white collar criminals?

Remember the guy in London that was convicted to six months in prison for stealing a bottle of water during the riots?
source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...s-Lidl-water-thief-jailed-for-six-months.html

Yes left is right, and right is wrong...

Indeed but too far left can just as bad. The unions nearly crippled this country in the 70s but the Maggie played a blinder by offering council houses for sale. A lot of lower class bought them but then they were so tied up with their mortgages that they couldn't afford to strike. Yes I've read those stories and it's been on TV news too. It appears Mr Maxwell is very near the top of the list of tax dodgers, so you need to extend your map.

Thatcher would be called a left liberal in the US. The British conservative party is more like the Democrats, than Republicans.