• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Happy Hanukkah - 2022

mikeyank

Long time forumite
Reaction score
Tonight begins the ancient eight day, “Festival of Lights”. Hanukkah is a lighthearted festival filled with rich traditions, many of which include food, fun, family and friends. I wish to all who celebrate prosperity, love, and laughter, in a time when we can all use that very much!

And speaking of food, there is lot’s of traditional delicious food to enjoy.

EE8A32F0-8C9B-434A-99A5-AFAECBCF6A3D.jpeg
8CADCB9D-D3A4-428C-80F6-A4889494DFA3.jpeg
CCE77732-F6D1-4688-B1F6-A2728222B1ED.jpeg
A7578AFC-351A-4DBD-A5F3-C5A460C60B0A.jpeg

Tonight begins the ancient eight day, “Festival of Lights”. Hanukkah is a lighthearted festival filled with rich traditions, many of which include food, fun, family and friends. I wish to all who celebrate prosperity, love, and laughter, in a time when we can all use that very much!

And speaking of food, there is lot’s of traditional delicious food to enjoy.

View attachment 109092View attachment 109094View attachment 109095View attachment 109096
Enjoy your holiday! The food does look delicious!

Enjoy your holiday! The food does look delicious!
I may have asked this question in the past, but if I did and you answered, I forgot and my bad. My question is why do many start the spelling of these holy days with an "H" and others with a "CH"?

Different alphabet so there are different ways to say and spell in English.

Different alphabet so there are different ways to say and spell in English.
Thanks, I wonder if that ties in to the Shepardic from Africa versus Aschanazie from Europe distinction? Excuse my butchering of the spellings of those two groups!

Thanks, I wonder if that ties in to the Shepardic from Africa versus Aschanazie from Europe distinction? Excuse my butchering of the spellings of those two groups!
It might.

I deleted my comments because I did not want to get into a deep philosophical discussion on religion. I'm happy for those who get joy out of holiday as long as they do not harm others in the name of religion.

I may have asked this question in the past, but if I did and you answered, I forgot and my bad. My question is why do many start the spelling of these holy days with an "H" and others with a "CH"?

Yes, you did and have discussed it before, either on this forum or on another now defunct similar forum that we both shared kg.

Here is a basic explanation:

The answer lies in Classical Hebrew, which used the dagesh to indicate the intensification (doubling) of a consonant. So the כּ in Classical Hebrew really did sound like two k's pronounced in quick succession, hence the kk in some English spellings.”

The way I explain it is that the word is actually in Hebrew and we just try to phonetically spell it in English. There is a “Ch” sound that has no equivalent English letter. It is a guttural type sound used in a word like “chutzpah”, or even a Jewish lady named ”Chana”. So when interpreting Hebrew to English, it is subject to how the writer chooses to sound out the word in English.

So it is much like in the old time song, :biggrin:

“You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto”.

So the important thing is to enjoy the spirit of the holidays, whether it is Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza or whatever your faith teaches you. It is all about love and family, health and happiness, in my opinion.

56165B77-1A00-49F3-B1BE-A5CE2E6AE2D8.jpeg

Yes, you did and have discussed it before, either on this forum or on another now defunct similar forum that we both shared kg.

Here is a basic explanation:

The answer lies in Classical Hebrew, which used the dagesh to indicate the intensification (doubling) of a consonant. So the כּ in Classical Hebrew really did sound like two k's pronounced in quick succession, hence the kk in some English spellings.”

The way I explain it is that the word is actually in Hebrew and we just try to phonetically spell it in English. There is a “Ch” sound that has no equivalent English letter. It is a guttural type sound used in a word like “chutzpah”, or even a Jewish lady named ”Chana”. So when interpreting Hebrew to English, it is subject to how the writer chooses to sound out the word in English.

So it is much like in the old time song, :biggrin:

“You like potato and I like potahto
You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto”.

So the important thing is to enjoy the spirit of the holidays, whether it is Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza or whatever your faith teaches you. It is all about love and family, health and happiness, in my opinion.

View attachment 109276
Thank you once again apparently I find language translations very interesting. Over the years I have spoken to UN and Court interpreters, who take an oath to provide "a true and honest" translation but face an ethical dilemma: Does that mean a literal translation or rather exactly what the speaker is saying, which sometimes are at variance and potential conflict.

The H vs CH has to do with the initial letter in Hebrew having a more guttural sound - an H pronounced in the back of the throat.

The H vs CH has to do with the initial letter in Hebrew having a more guttural sound - an H pronounced in the back of the throat.
Thanks, ask a question on this Forum, and you usually get very informed answers!