• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

"Behind the Candelabra" Opens tonight on HBO

cumrag27

BSB Addict
Reaction score
All I know is that I was 6 when I first saw Liberace in 1954 on his top-rated TV show. Like the Ed Sullivan Show of the day, everything came to a halt when either show was on in our house. I was completely fascinated by watching his hands flying up and down the piano keyboard at lightening speed. Liberace was unlike all other pianist because he used his hands for maximum dramatic effect in every piece he played. I can't tell you how much I marveled at his hands. They were so impossibly fast, yet so amazing to watch them in his prime.

Back then, Liberace simply wore a black tux and placed a candelabra on top of his traditional grand piano. He had a persona that was just naturally likeable and made for live TV. He was charismatic and had America eating right out of his hands at the early 1950's. When he spoke or played piano, it seemed as if it was intimately meant for you. His brother George would accompany him on violin combined with the quaint folksy singing voice from Liberace himself. In the 1950's this fit in well with other "family shows" of the day. SIMPLY STATED LIBERACE WAS THE QUINTESSENTIAL SHOWMAN OF THE DAY!

It was an afterthought when he became focused on doing everything in a successively more grand and flamboyant manner. He got trapped into this paradigm, always having to make every performance that much more grand than the one before. This became an obsession, yet it fit in perfectly as a headliner into the Las Vegas mystique of the 1960's. His shows were always sold out as American audiences seemed incapable of getting enough of his music and antics. Before long, audiences expected to be dazzled by his riches, costumes, and diamond rings and this became an integral part of getting their money's worth from his shows. That is when the flamboyant excesses simply took over to the point that he became a parody of himself.

I find his later years of performing to be both embarrassing and disappointing. I saw him once in concert in Little Rock, AR at a civic auditorium around 1964. I came away feeling so very disappointed by his behavior on stage further tarnished by his many off-color jokes he told the audience. Even as a developing gay individual about 15-16 years old, I felt my faith and admiration for him had been squandered. If he only stuck to his music and left off the glitzy over-the-top displays of his success. I never looked at him the same way after that fateful disappointing performance in Little Rock. What I love in him today is limited to the performer/showman I first saw in the 1950's

The HBO film promises to be a tour de force for Michael Douglas and Matt Damon. All I can say is...
Listen closely to his theme song as it is a foreshadowing of things to come,

Sincerely,

Stimpy

Hey, Stimpy ~

I share your interest in "Mr. Showmanship"'s career ~ without, I guess, the disillusion. (And I know you have good reasons, for it.) I never saw Liberace in concert, but, my Grandmother always used to play me his albums, as light entertainment, after we got done with Shakespeare, and Tchaikovsky ;-)

There is no doubt that he had his own (very many) failings. But, it was interesting to hear (just prior to the release of this HBO movie) so many people come out of the woodwork, of "Old Hollywood", and say - "He was the nicest, kindest, man who ever lived in this town."

Yes, he was pretty silly; he butchered Chopin (!!!); he was very materialistic; and apparently more than a little narcissistic, and very promiscuous, too. But there was, apparently, at the heart of him, a real sense of kindness and love for people, and childlike fun - and that is what I choose to remember.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob6Y6D9BuM4

Chopin's Polonaise - you be the judge

Hey, Stimpy ~

I share your interest in "Mr. Showmanship"'s career ~ without, I guess, the disillusion. (And I know you have good reasons, for it.) I never saw Liberace in concert, but, my Grandmother always used to play me his albums, as light entertainment, after we got done with Shakespeare, and Tchaikovsky ;-)

There is no doubt that he had his own (very many) failings. But, it was interesting to hear (just prior to the release of this HBO movie) so many people come out of the woodwork, of "Old Hollywood", and say - "He was the nicest, kindest, man who ever lived in this town."

Yes, he was pretty silly; he butchered Chopin (!!!); he was very materialistic; and apparently more than a little narcissistic, and very promiscuous, too. But there was, apparently, at the heart of him, a real sense of kindness and love for people, and childlike fun - and that is what I choose to remember.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob6Y6D9BuM4

Dear Ambivalent,

I love him with my 6 year old eyes and ears. At that time I received a 78 RPM record of him playing Chopin's Polonaise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OTRa2FeSGs

I cannot question his "butchering" Chopin but at least emotionally as a 6 year old, I was totally mesmerized and captivated by his performance. So many of his other performances were so loaded down with his endless runs and improvisations, I would like to think his mania for "exaggeration", in a musical sense, was not in operation when he recorded this piece. I played this record over and over again as a child feeling the majesty and intoxicating grandeur of this piece until I wore the record out. This cemented my lifelong love for the piano above all other instruments. I took lessons but, like so many others, I did not have the personal discipline to master the fundamentals necessary in a classical sense.

Thank you for your comments and I accept them as true. What I most admired was the artist's skill at the keyboard. The rest of it was good self promotion pre-dating Madonna self-promotion by several decades.

As a 6 year old, my only interest was the music he produced and the high degree of skill he displayed during his performances. I was never drawn to his sexuality or had any understanding thereof.

Sincerely,

Stimpy

I watched about half of the HBO show so far. I have it DVR'ed to watch the rest. I was only peripherally aware of Liberace as a kid growing up in the 1950's & 1960's. He was just an oddity to me, but as I got older I began to realize that he was gay, but I never considered him a role model in any way.

I found the part of the show that I've already watched captivating, as Lee falls for young Scott Thorson and makes him his boytoy and protegee, and even has Scott undergo plastic surgery to look like him too. The show is an interesting glimpse into the "hidden" gay world of show business from that era, and how the rich and powerful can get what they want with their wealth and power. I am interested to watch the balance of the program, and see if Scott did get to keep the house and the money that Lee promised him.

9780988349483_p0_v4_s260x420.JPG

Liberace scared me back then... flamboyant and over the top... sure I was gay but not like that!

Nowadays I love camp and probably appreciate Liberace much more.

The life and times of Lee...

I watched about half of the HBO show so far. I have it DVR'ed to watch the rest. I was only peripherally aware of Liberace as a kid growing up in the 1950's & 1960's. He was just an oddity to me, but as I got older I began to realize that he was gay, but I never considered him a role model in any way.

I found the part of the show that I've already watched captivating, as Lee falls for young Scott Thorson and makes him his boytoy and protegee, and even has Scott undergo plastic surgery to look like him too. The show is an interesting glimpse into the "hidden" gay world of show business from that era, and how the rich and powerful can get what they want with their wealth and power. I am interested to watch the balance of the program, and see if Scott did get to keep the house and the money that Lee promised him.

9780988349483_p0_v4_s260x420.JPG

Liberace scared me back then... flamboyant and over the top... sure I was gay but not like that!

Nowadays I love camp and probably appreciate Liberace much more.

Dear Mikeyank and Robert,

With his lifetime of glitz and glamour, so hard for observers of all stripes and persuasions to make that leap of faith to acceptance, I too have to fall back upon a more innocent and safe time and place where "narcissism" becomes the expected and, therefore, "NORMALCY Prevailed". Personally speaking, I find a lot of parallels between the lives of Liberace and Michael Jackson after their world has been varnished over and over again to where reality isn't even a distant memory. Both stars had this obvious contradiction between reality and their personal perception of self. Certainly their excesses were only a manifestation to be competitive in terms of the Hollywood lifestyle.

Liberace's materialism then became a reason to live and to please his fans all in one stroke. Everything seemed to justify his future success by having the whole enchilada and "don't hold the mayo..." approach to life. In the musical "Oklahoma", there is a song aptly entitled..." I'm just a Girl that can't say NO! Neither could Michael Jackson or Liberace. Personally, I wished more had been mentioned in this movie about his good deeds and generosity, as so many of his contemporaries were only too quick to mention concerning Lee.:angel: He was not a monster to begin with and I his insecurities were not so overwhelming in the total picture.

I didn't expect that he lived his personal life as some saint. I guess mostly I wanted to see some balance in his life

Sincerely,

Stimpy

PS Maybe it is just me, but I really found Matt Damon dressed in his uniform to be more than handsome. Michael Douglass, Matt Damon, Debbie Reynolds(Lee's motber), and Robb Lowe did a stellar job in making their roles "cum to life"

I truly don't want to spoil this for those who have not seen this yet, but what I WILL say is that this is a love story between two men honestly and from what I have heard ACCURATELY told with taste and skill hence the VERY HIGH production values and stellar cast. This was in every way BRILLIANTLY executed and there are some Oscar worthy performances in this that are NOT TO BE MISSED!!

Followup

In today's New York Post Cindy Adams has a most interesting interview with Scott Thorson from 1988:

6/24/85:

Liberace's lover speaks for himself
•By CINDY ADAMS
•Last Updated: 2:38 AM, May 28, 2013
•Posted: 2:36 AM, May 28, 2013

headshot
Cindy Adams

Following Michael Douglas’ uncanny ability to inhabit the skin of Liberace, I spent Memorial Day locating an Aug. 22, 1988, interview with Liberace’s lover Scott Thorson — depicted by Matt Damon.

Scott told me then: “As Lee drank, he’d come on to teenage boys like I wasn’t there. He was tired of me. At 22, I was past my prime. He liked younger companions.

“My suing Lee was sad, but I had a drug problem. We made up one month before he died. He’d gone from 220 pounds to 100 and was partly out of it. But he asked about my health. I said I’d been tested regularly and was OK.”

Did Scott have mementoes?

“Furs and jewelry. When we met he was romantic, tender. He’d leave notes and diamond rings. Moved me right into his Vegas mansion even though another lover was there. He was a little lost boy. Insecure. Private. Didn’t trust people or have friends. Very locked up because of his sexuality. He knew his fans were Midwestern grandmas in Illinois. He worried they’d call him an old queen and he’d lose his following.

“I called him ‘Boober.’ Boober hated parties, loved doing dishes and being home alone with our animals. We were together 10 years. He’d say, ‘Your job is to make me happy. Put a smile on my face. I don’t want to hear complaints.’

“His lifestyle put weight on me. To lose it, I tried cocaine. Boober had nitrates and marijuana and booze. That glamour life killed us both.

“Boober bought me a little house where we’d go to escape, where we were happiest. I’d have loved him if he weren’t Liberace. I hated that show business part. Maids, butlers, managers always came between us.

“I took it hard when he cheated on me. I remembered how I’d painted Lee’s mother’s face when she died, and so I flipped out. I only wish now I could tell him I’m sorry. That I loved him and miss him.”

A touch of Liberace’s lifestyle as I recorded it:

10/19/82: Bought $1,000 worth of flowers for his NYC apartment.

9/22/83: Booked at Sun City, Bophuthatswana, South Africa.

12/20/83: Ten security guards. Eating a Big Mac at the Hilton.

12/29/83: Working New Year’s Eve in Vegas’ Tivoli Gardens.

4/13/84: Ate three different pastas at Mama Leone’s.

10/30/84: Sent his TV “Name That Tune” earnings to the Liberace Museum.

12/21/84: Bought diamond rings from Harry Winston.

3/18/85: Bought a Trump Tower co-op. Not yet ready for occupancy, charitable landlord Donald offered temporary lodging. A model apartment. Free. Donald’s such a good boy. It’s called social work.

A celebrity Flea Fair. Father George Moore and St. Malachy’s, the Theater District’s Actor’s Chapel, selling Claudette Colbert’s leather handbag with signed note, Farrah Fawcett’s white pants outfit embroidered with her name, Bob Newhart’s inscribed script, Burt Reynolds’ autographed photo, Tony Bennett’s autographed album. Liberace gave a signed tape.

7/5/85: Late one afternoon thirsty Liberace and pal hit a restaurant that was closing so they were refused. A waitress scampered after Liberace & Co. clutching a Champagne bottle and two glasses. They came back. They drank. And as they left, Lee took a rag and cleaned up.

8/21/86: The Effanbee Doll Co.’s $100 Liberace doll is doing great. Biggest buyer is Lee. He sprung for 200 of them.

10/27/86: The Famous People Players opened “A Little Like Magic” at the Lyceum. Never picayune, Liberace schlepped 30 friends.

2/3/87: Liberace’s family considering a lawsuit. Possibly against the Las Vegas Sun for suggesting he has AIDS. My good friend and Lee’s phoned his widowed sister-in-law Dora, keeper of his museum. The lawyer let her say only ‘he’s resting comfortably.’ ”

5/25/88: His autograph brought $100.

10/5/88: Not one bio mentioned that Mama wanted Lee to marry — yes, marry — Dorothy Malone.

Everybody Loves Liberace

By Richard Lawson | The Atlantic Wire – 3 hrs ago..

"Today in show business news: Lots of people wanted to watch Michael Douglas and Matt Damon be lovers in Behind the Candelabra, NBC might want Community's creator to come back, and P.T. Anderson adds to his all-star cast in adapting Pynchon.

RELATED: The Critics Are Turning on 'Community'

HBO's biopic Behind the Candelabra, the mildly touching story of one of Liberace's gay relationship, was a ratings boon for the network, earning 2.4 million viewers on Sunday night, its best original movie premiere in nine years. Weird. It's almost as if people were curious to see Michael Douglas and Matt Damon playing gay lovers draped in furs and crystals. Isn't that strange? Who would have thought that people would want to see Gordon Gecko and Jason Bourne rolling around in a golden bed together, giggling? What's the curiosity factor all about there? Seems pretty regular and ho-hum to me. Oh well. Hearts want what they want, I suppose."

Stimpy

As for the film and probably real life I felt sorry for Scott. I though he was a good guy not looking to take of Liberace. It was Liberace who took advantage of Scott.
I liked the film.

I just finished watching this film, and while it was very entertaining, it made me very sad as well. I hope that Scott Thorson is happy today, for while Liberace brought him into a world of extravagance and riches, he also brought a lot of sadness into his life.

I am frankly somewhat depressed from watching, but I am glad that I learned so much and I do believe that this was an excellent, well made, and well acted film.

Thank you Stimpy. After watching the HBO movie, which ended leaving me feeling rather depressed, I wanted to see this clip that you provided us with. I was a big fan of the Smothers Brothers TV show and recall on Sunday nights watching it in my college dorm in the large TV longue and loving it, but I had no recollection of Liberace appearing.

I am impressed with his attitude in the skits preceding his piano playing, that he did not take himself too seriously. It made me laugh out loud, and I enjoyed his piano playing too.

Thanks for the lifting of my darker mood, watching the fun loving lighter Lee than I saw in the movie.

Hey, guys ~

I've just seen the movie (I don't get HBO, but snagged a copy from a TV critic-friend): and I thought it was pretty solid, and mostly conformed to the narrative arc which I've read about, from independent sources.

It was beautifully filmed, and there were wonderful comedic/character-role performances from Rob Lowe, and Dan Aykroyd. I was skeptical of Michael Douglas' ability to play the title role effectively, but, in the end, I think he did a pretty good job ~ quite sensitive and empathetic. And I thought Matt Damon, as Scott Thorson, was absolutely magnificent.

Of course, this whole story was told from Thorson's point of view, and so is especially sympathetic to him. I think it may underestimate, at least a little, how difficult and troubled Thorson was. Sadly, Mike, Scott Thorson has not had a very happy life, since his time with Liberace: he has had a sort of up-and-down existence as a drug addict and petty criminal, and was most recently serving time in a Nevada jail, and is also reported to be very ill, with colon cancer. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/may/26/liberace-scott-thorson-behind-candelabra

(The latest word about Mr. Thorson is that he has been bailed from jail, by Dennis Hof, the owner of the "Bunny Ranch" brothel - though, since the report comes from TMZ, I am not sure whether to trust it, or not! http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/31/liberace-scott-thorson-dennis-hof-bail-bunny-ranch/)

So, Mike, I have to say that I found this film a little depressing, too. It dwelt mostly on Liberace's darker side: his narcissism, his excesses, his promiscuity, and his infidelity. I think that there is no doubt, at the end of the day, that Liberace did not do well (or do right) by Scott Thorson. He took him as a (very) young lover, made him over in his own image (the fact that he forced Thorson to have plastic surgery, so he'd look like a young Liberace, was supremely weird - and this seems to have been a key factor in Mr. Thorson's eventual problems with addiction): and then failed to stick with Mr. Thorson, when the chips were down. (And I think, the very definition of "love" is, sticking with someone when the chips ARE DOWN.)

Of course, I don't like that side of Liberace - and I don't like that side of life, generally - the way that older, wealthier men sometimes take advantage of younger ones, and then cast them aside when they are no longer the "Freshmen"-perfect "twinks", they used to be. It is pretty clear that Liberace had tendencies, like that. (Of course, so do lots of older, wealthier, straight men, with respect to their wives, and girlfriends.)

Like some others, I think the film was a little short on balance - though it did make some gestures in the direction of showing how Liberace felt trapped by the closet, and was damaged by the experience. (And I think Michael Douglas portrayed those moments sensitively, and well.)

There is no doubt that Liberace was a study in contrasts, and had many vices and failings: and failed Scott Thorson, in a cruel and tragic way. (Though, again, the failure may have been mutual.) What the film missed, though, was the fact (which is attested by all who knew him, personally) that Liberace was, in many ways, a profligately kind, caring, and giving individual, who was forever trying to make all his friends and loved ones, HAPPY. Yes, he was fatally narcissistic, and hedonistic, but (by all accounts) he also had a heart of gold, and was forever trying to show his love for others.

In psychoanalytic terms (if you'll forgive me such a brazen speculation) - I imagine that Liberace was, in a way, a talented and gifted but very frightened little kid, who never really grew UP. In the course of his last interview ever given, with Oprah (of course - LOL!), Liberace recalled that he always hoped EVERY DAY could be CHRISTMAS, because it was the only time of year his parents didn't fight. . . and, I think, he was always trying to make EVERY DAY into CHRISTMAS, both for himself, and others. But, perhaps living (as he had to do) in his lavishly-appointed closet, he was never able to discover what it might mean to have a lasting and mature romantic relationship. . . because all such relationships (by definition) are NOT always Christmas, every day. . . .

Still, he is remembered by so many (including Debbie Reynolds, who played his Mother, in the film) as the kindest man in Hollywood. Loving, caring, and philanthropic. Of course, his life had tragic elements, and others were sadly caught up in, and damaged by, that tragedy. But, there are good things to remember about him, too. Just as with (I suppose) all of us.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD7dw_BW_UI

FASTFORWARD: Elton John to perform Liberace tribute at Emmys

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Elton John is about to do something he's never done: Perform live at the Emmy Awards.

The television academy announced Monday that the 66-year-old musician will make his Emmy debut with a tribute to Liberace, whose life story is told in HBO's "Behind the Candelabra."

The movie earned 15 Emmy nominations, including lead-actor bids for Michael Douglas and Matt Damon, who play Liberace and his lover Scott Thorson. Douglas and Damon are also set to serve as presenters at the Sept. 22 Emmy ceremony.

John's first studio album in seven years, "The Diving Board," is set for release on Sept. 24.

Neil Patrick Harris is hosting the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre, broadcast live on CBS.

Looking forward to it,

Stimpy

Last edited:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Elton John is about to do something he's never done: Perform live at the Emmy Awards.

The television academy announced Monday that the 66-year-old musician will make his Emmy debut with a tribute to Liberace, whose life story is told in HBO's "Behind the Candelabra."

The movie earned 15 Emmy nominations, including lead-actor bids for Michael Douglas and Matt Damon, who play Liberace and his lover Scott Thorson. Douglas and Damon are also set to serve as presenters at the Sept. 22 Emmy ceremony.

John's first studio album in seven years, "The Diving Board," is set for release on Sept. 24.

Neil Patrick Harris is hosting the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards at the Nokia Theatre, broadcast live on CBS.

Looking forward to it,

Stimpy
Thanks for that info Stimpy. I have a lot of respect for Elton, first as an unbelievable entertainer who has a boatload of hit songs, and for his humanitarian work as well as him being an excellent role model in a way for gay folks. Back in 1992, I had a handful of teenage heavy metal high school kids working for me, and I was surprised how much they loved Elton John. Tiny Dancer was a favorite song of a very cute long haired straight kid named Erik. When it was mentioned that Elton was gay, they all shrugged and didn't care, but loved his music. It has only gotten better since then. Thanks Elton for all you have done.

Elton is performing live on BBC radio 2 this coming Thursday. His voice is not as good as it was, but his piano playing is mesmerising.