• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Ashton & the "N-word"

lakidsteven

Reaction score
I don't live in Hollywood, Florida, I live in the real Hollywood. (Well close enough, I'm a valley kid from Burbank.) Anyway, am I the only person shocked by Ashton's casual use of the "N-word"? Ashton's a cute kid but his attitude always turns me off. But his use of this word so flippantly is too much for me.

I have friends of all races & that word is clearly outta my vocabulary. I'm also shocked when i hear certain words used to attacks gays as well. Or any other race.

I'm in my 20's & feel like I'm a fuddy-duddy because I was shocked. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, sorry to rant. Steven

I am only familiar with him using a similar word once in a video, unless you are referencing something I am unfamiliar with. But he said the name "Niggy" when he was talking about a person, which was Mike Robbins' nickname in his personal life. (Which I also believe was referenced in the update) But I am also interested in this. I have many friends who use the term.....

Steven, you have a sensitivity that gives your interpretation of certain words a more pejorative slant than some of your generation would intend/interpret. I feel the same way when people flippantly interject the F-word, because it can either convey something really good, something really bad, a feeling or emotion that the user can't describe (or doesn't have the vocabulary to do so!), or mean nothing at all because it is an overused word that has replaced most descriptive adjectives for some people. That's one reason why I like to hear someone's intonation to get a better sense of how they feel--it's much more revealing than reading a text message, email or IM. I never take Ashton's use of certain words seriously because I don't believe he uses those words in a demeaning sense. I guess you could consider yourself too cultured and high brow, coming from Burbank, to ever use that kind of language :) (It's ok, I, too, rarely use such language...)

I have a certain ambivilent attitude toward Ashton. He's obvisously very cute and I find him very funny. I usually love his shock-and awe humor.

I'm 23 so I do use some words in certain situations that were once taboo under any circumstances. The word "queer" come to mind. In the past there was no way to describe the word other than derogatory. But not long ago even a mainstream tv show (Queer eye for a Straight Guy) used that term and no one objected.

Unfortunately, ll races do use that term nowadays, and usually the urban derivation. Including African-Americans. And although it may seem on the surface that my generation does not see that as a hurtful term, in reality, it does.

The reason is that when Hispanics or Cucasian etc. use that term to possibly replace words like "dude" or "buddy," you will never hear it used in the presense of an African-American. And certainly not directed toward an African-American.

And in most cases, African-Americans don't use the word when people of other races are around. There are of course slip-ups from time to time.

So bottom line: even people ofmy generation know that n-word ain't kosher.

Obviously I don't know Ashton. Maybe he's just in the process of trying to figure out who and what he is. I strongly doubt that he is a racist.

I do like him though and hope to continue seeing him here. And I hope he continues with that type of humor.

Perhaps it would be better if he sought out a tattoo removal service for the "WHITE PRIDE" blazed on his back. I'm skeptical about pride in ANY race.

And with ink like that on his back, all the more reaosn not to use the n-word at all.

I find it rather amusing, in this point in human evelotion, this whole race thing.
How immature is the human race when people point to a certain point in time to base their "political" argument for the purpose of racial discrimination, when in reality if they were to go back a few more years they would find they would have mixed blood in them.
This doesn't just apply to Americans, it applies to all human beings at all stages in the history of mankind.
None of us a "pure blood" (whatever that means) we are all part of the same planet.

I have not viewed the episode that is being referred to in this thread as I am not a fan of Ashton & not knowing the guy personally I do not know his racial point of view.
However I don't believe what he may have said was in any way meant to be derogative to anybody.
I don't give a rat's what somebody calls me (so long as they don't call me late for dinner) or thinks of me, I just ignore them & think to myself "you're the fuckwit", then I get on with my life.

Why do people comment on the episodes being discussed when they have not veiwed them?

Why do people comment on the episodes being discussed when they have not veiwed them?
I re-read this thread, lpdude, and I didn't notice anyone who said that they did not watch it, try to review it. The focus of the discussion here appears to be if Ashton used the word, and in a broader sense his potential racist side, as we've all seen Ashton before, and his white pride tattoo. I think this discussion is valid whether one has watched the episode or not.

There have been interesting posts raised here, and I see no need to limit the discussion to those who have watched it. However, it would be a different story to try to review it, or discuss the scene specifically without watching it.

I guess I am a bit of an old fart compared to the others commenting on this issue. My impression is that the word is used a lot among younger guys in many parts of the country, not as a pejorative but simply as a bit of slang. I have heard this done in Los Angeles as well as San Francisco, a real bastion of liberalism. Context is everything and it is very clear to me that Ashton is not using the word in a pejorative fashion.

It does surprise me when I hear it but then it is the same when I hear younger gay guys use the word "fag" or "queer" which were certainly offensive when slung around when I was their age.

Juanjo, I tend to agree with you except for one thing.

The day African-Americans begin to accept the n-word when used toward them by other races, then I will believe it is truely no longer taboo.

From daily observation I know that the word is constantly used by both blacks and non-blacks as long as the other race is not within earshot.

The day African-Americans begin to accept the n-word when ued toward them by other races, then I will believe it is truely no longer taboo.

From daily observation I know that the word is constantly used by both blacks and non-blacks as long as the other race is not within earshot.

The day African-Americans begin to accept the n-word when ued toward them by other races, then I will believe it is truely no longer taboo.

That's pretty much how I feel. Just because non-blacks use it doesn't mean we should be accepting of it. Context be damn. It's still a no-no to me. I don't use it & won't allow it to be used around me.

PS - Can we get more latinos models on this site? love 'em.

Being a white boy who grew up in Compton, I feel like this word isn't really derogatory anymore. It's more of a term of endearment and should be treated as such. When you grow up with it, and it's the only thing you know, it doesn't really become as harsh when others use it.

Back home, before college, I would call my friends "nigga's" all the time because it is equated to friends, homies, brothers. It can also be used in a negative sense, it's all dependent upon tone. Obviously Ashton had no malicious meaning behind using it, and as such I think it's perfectly fine.

It's when the word is used with a malicious intent that things go wrong. The meaning of the word has changed over time, and as such should be handled with care, but we can still be reasonable about it's use. If you can see or hear the intent behind it, and it's meant to be friendly, then I see nothing wrong with it.

Being a white boy who grew up in Compton, I feel like this word isn't really derogatory anymore. It's more of a term of endearment and should be treated as such. When you grow up with it, and it's the only thing you know, it doesn't really become as harsh when others use it.

Back home, before college, I would call my friends "nigga's" all the time because it is equated to friends, homies, brothers. It can also be used in a negative sense, it's all dependent upon tone. Obviously Ashton had no malicious meaning behind using it, and as such I think it's perfectly fine.

It's when the word is used with a malicious intent that things go wrong. The meaning of the word has changed over time, and as such should be handled with care, but we can still be reasonable about it's use. If you can see or hear the intent behind it, and it's meant to be friendly, then I see nothing wrong with it.
Funkeh, you make an awful lot of sense, and I appreciate your perspective on this issue. The warehouse that I used to manage was located in the East Flatbush section of Brooklyn, from 1989 until the business relocated in 2004. The workers that I hired were young men from the neighborhood, and 95% of them were people of color. I was initially surprised at the frequent use of the "N" word, and it made me uncomfortable, but after a short time, it became one of the most commonplace words that I heard every day, and it was never used in a malicious or derogatory manner. It was actually a term of affection for friends and colleagues. They used it freely in front of white and non white co-workers. Some of the few white kid's that worked there used it as well. I learned that it is just a word, and has a totally different connotation than I thought, when used in the context that it was.

It is the same as anti gay words, that some members of the forum find highly objectionable. As with racial terms, I have no problem with any word used in context, in the presence of people who understand where they are coming from.