• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

40 Years ago today - John Lennon murdered in New York City

mikeyank

Long time forumite
Reaction score
December 8, 1980 will always remain in my brain as one of the three most shocking and impactful days of my life, (outside of personal tragedies losing family and friends). The first being November 22, 1963, followed by December 8, 1980 and September 11, 2001.

I was visiting a friend in Queens when driving home I heard the news of John Lennon's shooting on my car radio. My first instinct was to keep driving into Manhattan to go to the Dakota to join hundreds or perhaps thousands of his fans in mourning tribute. But it was a Monday night and I needed to work the next day, so I went home. Here is a picture of the fans outside his home that night.

_115866444_lennon_home_gettyimages-3429171.jpg

In October of 2014, fellow forumite Peterh of Seattle came to visit New York City and among the must see places on his list was The Dakota and the tribute in Central Park near John's home, now named Strawberry Fields. Here are some of the pics we posted on the forum of that visit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

What a terrible tragedy, but his spirit and his music will live forever.

That was a momentous event and another example of a crazy person changing events in a big way.

I remember hearing the news that day as well. What a terribly sad day.

It was indeed a sad day! But seeing the sites of NYC with my good buddy Mikeyank made my trip something I'll never forget.... See Peter can be nice sometimes lol

It was indeed a sad day! But seeing the sites of NYC with my good buddy Mikeyank made my trip something I'll never forget.... See Peter can be nice sometimes lol
I am just waking up and I think I may still be dreaming. lol. But seriously seeing the sites of NYC with you that week is something that I will never forget either, including our visit to The Dakota and Strawberry Fields.....

I am just waking up and I think I may still be dreaming. lol. But seriously seeing the sites of NYC with you that week is something that I will never forget either, including our visit to The Dakota and Strawberry Fields.....

I hope the newer members don't catch on that I can be nice lol