• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

The Sunday Sessions

oldfart63

BSB Addict
Reaction score
Last Wednesday Grand Rapids, Michigan was one of 26 cities in the U.S. to view an advance screening of the film The Sunday Sessions, in tandem with National Coming Out Day. The Center for Inquiry-Michigan (on whose state Advisory Board I proudly serve) and the Grand Rapids Pride Center co-sponsored the event. The Sunday Sessions is a documentary about Conversion Therapy which is a controversial therapy touting itself as a method to eliminate Same Sex Attraction (SSA). In other words, it will make gay men straight. This "therapy" has been strongly denounced by virtually every medical, psychiatric, and psychological association in the United States. Study after study have shown it ineffective, and in many cases harmful for the patient, yet many religious organizations and families continue to praise its effectiveness.

This is a documentary in its rawest form. In this screening it had no opening or closing credits, though I believe that was due to the rush of having it ready to coincide with National Coming Out Day. There is no score, no music intended to elicit feelings from the viewer. There is no narration. The only dialogue is that of the protagonist, his therapist, and family and a few friends. There is only a black screen with white text to set the time or place of the next scene, just enough for you to follow what is going on. Director Richard Yeagley received permission to film the sessions as they were, in both private and group settings, and with private family moments as well.

Following the screening there was a discussion with Larry DeShane, Center Administrator of the Pride Center, Dr. Matt Clark a Clinical Psychologist at the Clark Institute and The Gay Christian Therapy Center, and Jennifer Beahan, the Program Director at CFI-MI. Maybe it was just because of a biased crowd, but I think anybody with any empathy could see the tremendous turmoil the young man was going through. At one point I had to get up and step out of the room. I wanted to either shout, "Why are you taking this abuse?" or just hold the young man. Personally, I think what I saw on the screen was an abuse of authority and trust bordered on malpractice. I'll let others decide for themselves.

The question I asked afterwards was, "When and where will this be released for others to see?" Unfortunately the didn't have the answer to that. If you want to find out more about this or to read the Director's comments, go to thesundaysessionsmovie.com. The movie is well worth seeing, though you might want to take a strong drink first. You'll definitely want one when it's over.

Hey, oldfart!

Unfortunately I think it will never get to Brazil, for us to watch... I usually have to download content from the web because other than the biggest Hollywood movies, anything else is shown in here.

But recently this topic were discussed here because a judge decided to allow this kind of 'therapy' again:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gay-conversion-therapy-brazil_us_59c195e2e4b087fdf508e2e2

I can only imagine how you felt watching it... I know I am a girl, mostly straight and so maybe I had no right to comment here, but I was raised by two mothers who also happens to be the best people I ever met. They run a NGO that rescues teenagers and young adults who were abandoned by their families once they came out. I watched my mothers (one of them is a Clinical Therapist and the other is an educator) fight for acceptance and understanding their whole lives, not only for themselves, but for others too. And I feel disgusted when I see something like that...

I remember being a kid and one day my mothers decided they had to explain to me and my brother our 'situation'. And it was so easy for us to understand love... I mean, we could totally understand why Mama loved the other Mama... We loved them both too. It was difficult to explain hate, though. Why can't they love each other? There was absolutely no logic! And if it's easy for a kid to understand this, it should be easy for everyone else, right?

I don't know what is wrong with people... I think I never will...

Honestly, I had completely forgot about this "type" or a better term would be archaic and mentally abusive crime towards another human being. I do remember Bart, when you mentioned the ruling there in Brazil and the article from The Huffington Post.
I definitely need to re-educate myself on this.

It is really hard to believe that a "community" today, of any kind, would accept or allow this type of practice.

"OF", thanks for sharing this. I am curious to see what our community here, knows about this film.