• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Paul's Overdose

mtfrc81

Reaction score
I've been struggling with commenting on this since the BTS interview with Paul's family was posted. First let me say that I am very happy that Paul's situation turned out to be okay. I am going to make some statements that have the potential to offend some people. They are not intended to be offensive to anyone on the forum (and most importantly Paul or his family). I have been a paramedic for nearly 25 years now. When I watched this video I was floored at how the people who were around Paul failed to recognize what a true medical emergency Paul's situation was. The idea of driving Paul to a house where his brother was than driving him to the ER seems crazy to me. Any ambulance would have been able to capture an airway and provide assistance with breathing. At this point in Paul's circumstance airway and breathing was the most important thing to keeping him alive. It was not driving around. It was calling 911!!!!!

I know that so many people are scared to call 911 for various reasons. The biggest one is usually a statement like, "I didn't think this was bad enough to call 911." I can't tell you how many times I've heard comments like that. Sometimes I wish I could "slap" some commonsense into people. The other excuse I hear is something like, "I was afraid I'd get into trouble if I called 911." So let me say loud and clear. There is no EMS provider, who is going to yell at you for calling 911. We want you to call! If you're not sure it's better to be proactive so the best positive outcome can happen for the person. If you have an EMS person who treats you like a piece of dirty for calling 911 in what "you" thought was an emergency needs to be handled by a supervisor.

911 exist for what the non-medical person thinks is an emergency... not mine... not a doctor's and not a nurse. Today we carry many drugs and tools on our medics to deal with many things. Most of them are just as advanced as what is available in an ER. 911 is not just a "taxi" ride, but brings faster care to a person than taking someone by private vehicle to the ER!

I challenge each of you that care about Paul (or anyone else you love) to take this situation and realize that we all have the capability to be put into situations like this. Get off your butt and take a first aid and CPR class!

Okay... I'll get off my "soap box" now.

As a card carrying first aid, cpr and AED person thank-you mtfrc81 for educating us on the proper use of 911. Your post could save someones life....

Thank you Mt81 for your comments. I was also surprised that so much time was lost while Paul's brother went over to check on him and then bring him to the hospital without calling 911 to bring an ambulance. Hopefully it meant that the hospital was so close that he really could get Paul there faster than waiting on the ambulance and paramedics to arrive. Of course we all rest easier in knowing that in this instance the story had a happy ending. There are situations of course where the difference of 15-20 minutes could be the difference between life and death. Your point is well taken though that in the majority of cases where the patient's life is literally hanging in the balance, that 911 is the way to go.

This thread reminds me of the Dustin situation, which of course ended much worse.
And of course the loss of one of my most beloved models ever here, Mike Robbins, whose cause of death was never revealed to us out of respect to the privacy of his family, but he did speak with us on the forum regarding his own issues and his own course of "self medication" which may have contributed to his sad unfortunate passing.

And of course the loss of one of my most beloved models ever here, Mike Robbins, whose cause of death was never revealed to us out of respect to the privacy of his family, but he did speak with us on the forum regarding his own issues and his own course of "self medication" which may have contributed to his sad unfortunate passing.

I did think of Mike too.. but wasn't totally sure how it would go down as it wasn't confirmed how he died. Sad times.

the stories about dustin and mike remind me very little of paul's story. sad endings to troubled lives. paul's story is the stuff myths and legends are built from. life over death. family over isolation. love over rejection.
from the time I saw a picture of paul. I couldn't wait to see him on video. but it took a grip to see them. I was entertained and charmed by him. I was able to see paul, Damien Kyle, Kaden Alexander, and blake at pride events. paul became a real person. funny and engaging. the hero lives. that makes it a comedy.
we have neighbors trained in quick response. in my household, we are trained in cpr. we need to know and prepare for things that happen. the story is filled with lessons.

I did think of Mike too.. but wasn't totally sure how it would go down as it wasn't confirmed how he died. Sad times.

For what my memory is worth... I recall he was involved with law enforcement (not sure what he was stopped for), but had a some "pot" on him that he swallowed to hide it. Sadly he chocked on it. Law enforcement failed to recognize is was chocking before it was too late. Not sure how accurate my memory was, but it was a sadly avoidable death... a needless loss of life!

the stories about dustin and mike remind me very little of paul's story. sad endings to troubled lives. paul's story is the stuff myths and legends are built from. life over death. family over isolation. love over rejection.
from the time I saw a picture of paul. I couldn't wait to see him on video. but it took a grip to see them. I was entertained and charmed by him. I was able to see paul, Damien Kyle, Kaden Alexander, and blake at pride events. paul became a real person. funny and engaging. the hero lives. that makes it a comedy.
we have neighbors trained in quick response. in my household, we are trained in cpr. we need to know and prepare for things that happen. the story is filled with lessons.

Couldn't agree more... MANY lessons. I hope Paul realizes the them for himself (think he does) and the membership too. That's really what makes Paul doing this video so powerful.

Short and sweet reply to your VERY good post:

BRAVO, KUDOS, and MOST IMPORTANTLY,

THANK YOU,
for (re-)EMPHASIZING this!

I've been struggling with commenting on this since the BTS interview with Paul's family was posted. First let me say that I am very happy that Paul's situation turned out to be okay. I am going to make some statements that have the potential to offend some people. They are not intended to be offensive to anyone on the forum (and most importantly Paul or his family). I have been a paramedic for nearly 25 years now. When I watched this video I was floored at how the people who were around Paul failed to recognize what a true medical emergency Paul's situation was. The idea of driving Paul to a house where his brother was than driving him to the ER seems crazy to me. Any ambulance would have been able to capture an airway and provide assistance with breathing. At this point in Paul's circumstance airway and breathing was the most important thing to keeping him alive. It was not driving around. It was calling 911!!!!!

I know that so many people are scared to call 911 for various reasons. The biggest one is usually a statement like, "I didn't think this was bad enough to call 911." I can't tell you how many times I've heard comments like that. Sometimes I wish I could "slap" some commonsense into people. The other excuse I hear is something like, "I was afraid I'd get into trouble if I called 911." So let me say loud and clear. There is no EMS provider, who is going to yell at you for calling 911. We want you to call! If you're not sure it's better to be proactive so the best positive outcome can happen for the person. If you have an EMS person who treats you like a piece of dirty for calling 911 in what "you" thought was an emergency needs to be handled by a supervisor.

911 exist for what the non-medical person thinks is an emergency... not mine... not a doctor's and not a nurse. Today we carry many drugs and tools on our medics to deal with many things. Most of them are just as advanced as what is available in an ER. 911 is not just a "taxi" ride, but brings faster care to a person than taking someone by private vehicle to the ER!

I challenge each of you that care about Paul (or anyone else you love) to take this situation and realize that we all have the capability to be put into situations like this. Get off your butt and take a first aid and CPR class!

Okay... I'll get off my "soap box" now.

For what my memory is worth... I recall he was involved with law enforcement (not sure what he was stopped for), but had a some "pot" on him that he swallowed to hide it. Sadly he chocked on it. Law enforcement failed to recognize is was chocking before it was too late. Not sure how accurate my memory was, but it was a sadly avoidable death... a needless loss of life!

Hi Mt81. This specific post I'm pretty sure was in regards to the death of Mike Robbins. Dustin is the model who passed away from the circumstances you refer to above.

That was actually the sad story of the death of Dustin, not Mike, who was chased by police through the woods as I recall, and he swallowed the pot and did choke on it and die. In fact there was actually a video of it linked to the forum at the time, which I had no desire to watch then or even now. At the time, my good friend Slim championed a campaign to bring charges against the cops who chased him, but whatever might have been done, it could not bring the young man back. It was a very sad set of circumstances.

That was actually the sad story of the death of Dustin, not Mike, who was chased by police through the woods as I recall, and he swallowed the pot and did choke on it and die. In fact there was actually a video of it linked to the forum at the time, which I had no desire to watch then or even now. At the time, my good friend Slim championed a campaign to bring charges against the cops who chased him, but whatever might have been done, it could not bring the young man back. It was a very sad set of circumstances.

Appreciate the memory correction! Law enforcement is in a tough position having to enforce drug laws, many that are just a waste of time (my opinion) and hardly ever worth a loss of someone life. I have many "cops" who are close friends who strongly feel the "pot" is not where we should focusing so much effort. I've never done an illegal drug in my life (the legal one's a way worse really) and probably never well. But someone losing their life over chocking is beyond words!