• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

I'm Getting Engaged

jtdestin

Reaction score
After spending 2 years with the same person/boyfriend/partner/lover/best friend
And the last year knowing this is someone I could commit to. I have decided to make it permanent. (As soon as Joe is done with his 4 year Air Force comitment next year.) That’s not the dilemma. We as 2 people are committed to each other.
We know each other: our likes and dislikes. He understands when we first met I was a free spirit when it came to sex and he stuck with me until I found my center.
So yes we are in love.
So here is the dilemma: Marriage or Civil Unions.

To me it would be nice if our Nation reconized same sex marriage but it does not!
It makes no difference if my State does(but it does not) and my country does not!

In the last 6 months I have spent close to $10,000 with lawyers to make sure we come close to the same rights as a married couple and we are happy with the results (only because we will be free of needing our Social Security benefits when we are older.) But here is what I learned about the two.

You hear the politicians saying it all the time. “I support Civil Unions, but not gay marriage.” What exactly does this mean? Some even say they support equal rights for gays and lesbians, but not gay marriage. Is this possible? And why do gays and lesbians want marriage so badly when they can have civil unions?

First of all, What is Marriage? When people marry, they tend to do so for reasons of love and commitment. But marriage is also a legal status, which comes with rights and responsibilities. Marriage establishes a legal kinship1 between you and your spouse. It is a relationship that is recognized across cultures, countries and religions.

What is a Civil Union? Civil Unions and Domestic Partnerships exist in only a handful of places like New Jersey and Washington and Oregon.
Vermont was the first state to create civil unions in 2000 to provide legal protections to gays and lesbians in relationships in that state because gay marriage was not an option. The protections did not extend beyond the border of Vermont and no federal protections are included with a Civil Union. Civil Unions offer some of the same rights and responsibilities as marriage, but only on a state level.

What about Domestic partnership? Some states and municipalities have domestic partnership registries, but no domestic partnership law is the same. Some, like Oregon's domestic partnership law comes with many rights and responsibilities. Others offer very few benefits to the couple.
What are some of the differences between Civil Unions and Gay Marriage?
Recognition in other states: Even though each state has its own laws around marriage, if someone is married in one state and moves to another, their marriage is legally recognized. For example, Oregon marriage law applies to people 17 and over. In Washington state, the couple must be 18 to wed. However, Washington will recognize the marriage of two 17 year olds from Oregon who move there. This is not the case with Civil Unions and Domestic Partnerships. If someone has a Domestic Partnership, that union is recognized by some states and not others. Some states have even ruled that they do not have to recognize civil unions performed in other states, because their states have no such legal category. As gay marriages become legal in other states, this status may change.

Immigration:
A United States citizen who is married can sponsor his or her non-American opposite-sex spouse for immigration into this country. Those with Civil Unions have no such privilege. Even legally married gay and lesbian couples cannot sponsor their spouses for immigration because of the Defense of Marriage(DOMA) law.

Taxes:
Civil Unions are not recognized by the federal government, so couples would not be able to file joint-tax returns or be eligible for tax breaks or protections the government affords to married couples. Again, because of DOMA, same-sex couples have to file single on their federal tax returns.
Benefits:
The General Accounting Office in 1997 released a list of 1,049 benefits and protections available to heterosexual married couples. These benefits range from federal benefits, such as survivor benefits through Social Security, sick leave to care for ailing partner, tax breaks, veterans benefits and insurance breaks. They also include things like family discounts, obtaining family insurance through your employer, visiting your spouse in the hospital and making medical decisions if your partner is unable to. Civil Unions protect some of these rights, but not all of them.
But can’t a lawyer set all this up for gay and lesbian couples?
No. A lawyer can set up some things like durable power of attorney, wills and medical power of attorney. There are several problems with this, however.
1. It costs thousands of dollars in legal fees. A simple marriage license, which usually costs under $100 would cover all the same rights and benefits.
2. Any of these can be challenged in court. As a matter of fact, more wills are challenged than not. In the case of wills, legal spouses always have more legal power than any other family member.
3. Marriage laws are universal. If someone’s husband or wife is injured in an accident, all you need to do is show up and say you’re his or her spouse. You will not be questioned. If you show up at the hospital with your legal paperwork, the employees may not know what to do with you. If you simply say, "He's my husband," you will immediately be taken to your spouse's side.

Defense of Marriage Law
Even with lesbian and gay marriages being performed and recognized in some states, the Federal Defense of Marriage Law prohibits the federal government from recognizing gay and lesbian relationships. This puts gay and lesbian couples who are married in a legal limbo. How do they file their tax returns? Do they have to pay the tax on their partner’s health insurance? How do they fill out legal and other forms, single or married?
Creating Civil Unions creates a separate and unequal status for some of America’s citizens. The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial court ruled that creating a separate class for gay and lesbian citizens is not permissible and that is why they have voted that only marriage equals marriage. The precedent was set with Brown v. The Board of Education regarding segregation in public education. Ironically, Massachusetts marriage law went into effect on the 50th anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education.

The United States Constitution guarantees equality for all. As you can see, marriage and civil unions are not the same. Creating equal access to marriage is the only fair way to ensure equality for gay and straight couples alike.

After all is done I am still living in the best State in the Best Country in the world. Our Country is young and is getting better.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I hope you have a wonderful life together. NOt to rain on your parade, but:

What I don't understand, is why gays are so bent on getting "married". I understand the unfairness of all the legal mumbo jumbo, but, look at how many heterosexual couples live together without the benefit of marriage. And, again, look at the heteros. Has marriage really worked for them, over the past 40 years. I see more and more people, married and divorced before the wedding dress turns yellow. What, then is so damned great about getting married?
Why not just have civil unions, and call it a good day. Let's face it, that is not going to change in my lifetime, or even yours, jt. If it ever happens, I mean that a homosexual couple is given the same marriage rights, it will not occur for several more generations.

As for the Constitution, well, remember that it was written by white heterosexual landowners who did not even recognize women as being equal to men, and equated the blacks to property. It took, how long? About 100 years for women to be recognized and given the right to vote and own property, and be treated as equals. Even then, it didn't apply to everything! And it was almost 200 years for blacks to be even considered as humans, and to be treated with any kind of dignity. Even today, in the 21st century, women are still not treated as equals, certainly not in the workplace. And blacks? Ask the hundreds of white supremacists what they think of the black, and the gay for that matter. And lets not even talk about hispanics, and immigration!

So many more relevant issues face our society, and yet we gripe and moan over a lousy piece of paper that makes us equal to heterosexuals? And what is the point, lets face it, gays are no more successful at long term relationships than heteros. I have seen many, many gay couples in my years, and of all of them, have known only two who have been together 30 years. Everyone else ended up just like the heteros, apart.

Still, all in all, I agree with you on one point. I am happy, and proud to be an American.
I would not trade living anywhere else in the world. Our government may not be perfect, our society is still several hundred years behind other cultures, but I would not want to live any where else! Now, granted, I've only been to the orient, to South America, to Southeast Asia, and to western Europe, but even then, I have found no place else that compared to living right here in the USA (although Canada comes close).

I am not claiming to be right, not by a long shot! This is only the way I see things. And, while I too long to live in Utopia, I just don't see it happening.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I hope you have a wonderful life together. NOt to rain on your parade, but:

What I don't understand, is why gays are so bent on getting "married". I understand the unfairness of all the legal mumbo jumbo, but, look at how many heterosexual couples live together without the benefit of marriage. And, again, look at the heteros. Has marriage really worked for them, over the past 40 years. I see more and more people, married and divorced before the wedding dress turns yellow. What, then is so damned great about getting married?
Why not just have civil unions, and call it a good day. Let's face it, that is not going to change in my lifetime, or even yours, jt. If it ever happens, I mean that a homosexual couple is given the same marriage rights, it will not occur for several more generations.

As for the Constitution, well, remember that it was written by white heterosexual landowners who did not even recognize women as being equal to men, and equated the blacks to property. It took, how long? About 100 years for women to be recognized and given the right to vote and own property, and be treated as equals. Even then, it didn't apply to everything! And it was almost 200 years for blacks to be even considered as humans, and to be treated with any kind of dignity. Even today, in the 21st century, women are still not treated as equals, certainly not in the workplace. And blacks? Ask the hundreds of white supremacists what they think of the black, and the gay for that matter. And lets not even talk about hispanics, and immigration!

So many more relevant issues face our society, and yet we gripe and moan over a lousy piece of paper that makes us equal to heterosexuals? And what is the point, lets face it, gays are no more successful at long term relationships than heteros. I have seen many, many gay couples in my years, and of all of them, have known only two who have been together 30 years. Everyone else ended up just like the heteros, apart.

Still, all in all, I agree with you on one point. I am happy, and proud to be an American.
I would not trade living anywhere else in the world. Our government may not be perfect, our society is still several hundred years behind other cultures, but I would not want to live any where else! Now, granted, I've only been to the orient, to South America, to Southeast Asia, and to western Europe, but even then, I have found no place else that compared to living right here in the USA (although Canada comes close).

I am not claiming to be right, not by a long shot! This is only the way I see things. And, while I too long to live in Utopia, I just don't see it happening.

if we had the same rights as a married couple you can call it anything you want.
i spent 10 grand to get close to the same rights as a man and a woman getting married would have for 50 dollar mairage lic.

I know we would be just as happy if we keep doing what we have done for the last 2 years but going to the next step is something we want to do to celibrate our relationship.
but no more than 3 years ago i felt the same way you do jlipps

well jt,

Its your decision, and I applaud your decision and I totally want you to succeed and to be happy. Don't listen to me, i'm just an old curmudgeon. Although, I think I haVe some valid points, lol. Honestly, good luck, I hope it works out just like you plan. It would be nice to hear about, and I'll not say one more negative word!

It's the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.

well jt,

Its your decision, and I applaud your decision and I totally want you to succeed and to be happy. Don't listen to me, i'm just an old curmudgeon. Although, I think I haVe some valid points, lol. Honestly, good luck, I hope it works out just like you plan. It would be nice to hear about, and I'll not say one more negative word!

Thank you so much jlipps!!:thumbup1:
your points are Valid

Congratulations! And best wishes! Even though DOMA still exists, there are lots of implcations, tax wise, for couples who are married. The IRS now requires that income be combined on returns of couples who are married, and who live in community property states, as we do. We were married when it was legal in California to do so. This resulted in some interesting tax implications for us. I had to pony up more, but as a couple, we got back several thousand dollars in refunds! ($13K!) If marriage is an option in your state, go for it!

Congratulations jtdestin!​
I do wish all the best to you. With a year to plan this important event.......it could be HUGE.:w00t:

Congratulations! And best wishes! Even though DOMA still exists, there are lots of implcations, tax wise, for couples who are married. The IRS now requires that income be combined on returns of couples who are married, and who live in community property states, as we do. We were married when it was legal in California to do so. This resulted in some interesting tax implications for us. I had to pony up more, but as a couple, we got back several thousand dollars in refunds! ($13K!) If marriage is an option in your state, go for it!

Thanks Guidolbido

JT; My most sincere congratulations and best of wishes to you and Joe in your wonderful decision. Your views and speculations are spot on as I can attest to. Allow me to introduce myself and explain a bit of my life. First of all on March 1, 2010 my partner Jeff and I of 29 years were legally married in Sioux City, IA so on March 1st of this year although it was not a big affair we celebrated our 30th anniversary of togetherness and marriage. The marriage ceremony was very small and in fact held in the party room of a Perkins but it was easily the most wonderful day of my life. After 29 years the paperwork should have meant little but it sure felt good and still does every time I look at my ring.

One of the things you mentioned referred to hospital care. This is the most dramatic change we have noticed. A few years ago before they changed the law I needed to go into the hospital for some tests and due to the seriousness of the matter I figured I would just tell the folks there that I wished Jeff to have full rights about me. Being small town country boys I figured that would work just fine, WRONG! They quickly informed me that to them he meant no more then a guy on the street. Well so much for that but in April of 2010, one month after we were married I had to go into the hospital for some serious breathing and heart problems. All I had to do was to say we were married and the gates opened up without even having to prove it. My whole time there we were treated as equal even down to one bad morning when I had a really bad set back, they ended up calling Jeff at home at 5:30 Am to get permission to intubate me if needed.

While we don’t technically still live in the state, I can see Iowa from my house. LOL We now live in South Dakota in a suburb of Sioux City so the benefits did not follow us, “except for health insurance which came with Jeff’s work who covers domestic partners,” but it is very nice to know all we have to do is run back across the river if we have to.

So JT I hope this gives you encouragement but I would advise you to perhaps do one thing. I think you would be slightly better off to travel to a state like Iowa which allows couples from out of state too get married. It would mean little now except for being fully legal in that state but hopefully some day WHEN the feds finally approve our full rights you would already be legally married and it would carry over for you. So best of luck to you both my friend, please keep us informed of the proceedings.

Congratulations to both of you and I wish you the very best. I agree about the marriage laws. They are unfair for those who wish to make that commitment to one another. The emotional feeling of making that commitment to one another is great. I also agree about the advantages of that piece of "paper" that could give us the same rights and hetero marriages, ie: taxes, health care services, ownership of property if a partner passes away w/o anyone saying, NO! you don't have a right to it. The immigration laws I too agre with. They are extremely unfair that if two guys fall in love and one is not a citizen the other can not sponsor him/her to become a citizen and work here. Some one I know partner of over 18yrs had to leave the country and they still continue their relationship by one flying to his country 3 month out of the year, because they love each other, but can't live together here. Where is "Equality" that our laws are/should protect? I hope you both have many happy and loved filled years together.

Pollyanna?

It doesn't seem to me so farfetched that the USA might go for same-sex marriage on a national level sooner rather than later. Once an idea takes hold the momentum can carry it along at a pretty good clip. Polls say the populace is sympathetic. All that's needed now is for the sniveling politicians to grow some balls.

In Europe, because the countries are so much smaller and have more centralized governments, gay marriage, when it comes, is nationwide. Where I live it's been law for several years. The latest country to come on board was Liechtenstein, just last week, with the law becoming effective at the end of Summer. I have the hope that the US will go a long way to becoming a same-sex country with a second Obama term. He's been too distracted up to now, but with nothing to lose from 2013 onward, he could take this country to wonderful places unimaginable now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recognition_of_same-sex_unions_in_Liechtenstein

Congratulations JT and Joe!! :thumbup1:

I'm so happy for both of you. I agree with you wholeheartedly that we live in a great state. Even if the politics of it are all askew at the moment. haha The area in the panhandle is gorgeous. It's a great place to build a future together.

It's so wonderful that you have found someone you love. I wish you both a lifetime of happiness. Congratulations again. :001_smile:

Slim,

You are just more optimistic than I. Honestly, I don't see that happening in my lifetime. The religious right wing in our society is just too powerful a force.

Slim,

You are just more optimistic than I. Honestly, I don't see that happening in my lifetime. The religious right wing in our society is just too powerful a force.

But I think that's just the point: creationists and their like are mostly in the 45 and up demographic. Younger people surely can't believe that Huckabee/Bachmann stuff. And half of those who say they believe it would like to be able to say they don't.

You may be right that the judicial process would take years just in itself, but I'm convinced there is an appetite for fairness, and concessions made on the basis of compassion if nothing else. It's important that a movement toward same-sex marriage not be made up solely of gay people petitioning a straight society to give them a break, but also of mainstream heterosexuals militating for equality. Is that not beginning to happen?

It's important that a movement toward same-sex marriage not be made up solely of gay people petitioning a straight society to give them a break, but also of mainstream heterosexuals militating for equality. Is that not beginning to happen?

I'm seeing more and more of that in the popular culture. Yes. And mostly among the youth, but also a few people in the older demographics.

Congratz Jtdestin!!

I was super excited to read this thread. It makes me happy to see two people who share a connection deeply enough and have an unbreakable love for each other. I wish you two the best, as I know only good will come!

Jlipps4U,

I notice you use the oft quoted argument, "Look how many heterosexual couples live together without benefit of marriage...." You are correct in that they are living together, WITHOUT THE BENEFITS OF MARRIAGE. For myself and many others, we WANT those benefits. As of now, for many of you, only that eight letter word will secure those benefits, and futures, a word not available in many locations, to most gay /lesbian couples. It may seem a small distinction, but it is a powerful one that grants additional status to those on whom it is conferred.

Congratulations JT, to you and your fiancee, with hopes for many many years of happily wedded bliss and true equality.

As I have pointed out before, The US Constitution will not allow separate but equal. An irrevocable status of "married" has been granted to many gay people in Ca., and there is a strong groundswell toward fairness, both by those lucky enough to have this status now, and those (both gay and straight) who demand that this fairness be established. With NY state also on the brink, I see marriage equality coming in the not distant future.