• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Happy Rosh Hashanah

mikeyank

Long time forumite
Reaction score
I want to wish a happy healthy New Year to any forum members who celebrate the Jewish New Year, as
tonight at sundown begins Rosh Hashanah and the Jewish year 5775.

The Huffington Post has this brief explanation of the significance of this time of year to Jewish people.

The Jewish New Year, or Rosh Hashanah, is approaching on the eve of Sept. 24, which means Jewish families around the world are currently preparing to usher in the year 5775.

Rosh Hashanah translates from Hebrew to mean "start of the year," and the holiday is marked by services in a synagogue, as well as traditional holiday meals with family. One example of this is dipping apples into honey, to mark a "sweet" new year.

If you'd like to wish a Jewish friend a happy new year, the traditional greeting is "shana tova," which literally means "good year."

Of course, just saying "happy new year" works perfectly fine as well.

n-ROSH-HASHANAH-GREETING-large570.jpg

Well it seems so wrong that mikey has to start a thread to celebrate his own Happy New Year. I had intended to do so but only closer to its beginning. Thus, at sunset here on the East Coast (7:14 pm edt), the Shofar will be sounded announcing the beginning of the Jewish New Year. I want to wish mikey and any other of our Jewish forum brethren a Happy and Healthy New Year.

I'm including a link to a Jewish site which explains in some detail the history and significance of this holiday and some of its observances and traditions:

http://www.chabad.org/holidays/JewishNewYear/template_cdo/aid/4762/jewish/What-Is-Rosh-Hashanah.htm

Hanging my head in shame..Thank you stowe1 for the kick in the butt. Happy Rosh Hashanah mike and all are Jewish friends.
Happy New Year.

I want to wish a happy healthy New Year to any forum members who celebrate the Jewish New Year, as
tonight at sundown begins Rosh Hashanah and the Jewish year 5775.

The Huffington Post has this brief explanation of the significance of this time of year to Jewish people.

The Jewish New Year, or Rosh Hashanah, is approaching on the eve of Sept. 24, which means Jewish families around the world are currently preparing to usher in the year 5775.

Rosh Hashanah translates from Hebrew to mean "start of the year," and the holiday is marked by services in a synagogue, as well as traditional holiday meals with family. One example of this is dipping apples into honey, to mark a "sweet" new year.

If you'd like to wish a Jewish friend a happy new year, the traditional greeting is "shana tova," which literally means "good year."

Of course, just saying "happy new year" works perfectly fine as well.

n-ROSH-HASHANAH-GREETING-large570.jpg

שָׁנָה טוֹבָה Mike and all others who celebrate. This year I am celebrating in Mexico but will be back for Yom Kippur in my home town San Francisco where the Jews are in the closet and the gays are not, most decidedly not.

Dearest Mike ~

Shanah Tovah, and a very blessed New Year to you and your family. It is a blessing to know you, and so I hope that your year will be blessed with health, happiness, joy, and love, as well.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

P.S. Mike, for you and all the members, here is the beautiful, solemn, "B'rosh Hashanah", sung by one of the truly great Cantors of our time, Cantor Simon Cohen. It is truly moving, for anyone to hear, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBbElDYVGtU

Dearest Mike ~

Shanah Tovah, and a very blessed New Year to you and your family. It is a blessing to know you, and so I hope that your year will be blessed with health, happiness, joy, and love, as well.

"A" XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

P.S. Mike, for you and all the members, here is the beautiful, solemn, "B'rosh Hashanah", sung by one of the truly great Cantors of our time, Cantor Simon Cohen. It is truly moving, for anyone to hear, I think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBbElDYVGtU
Thank you so much Ambi, and I of course wish the same to you and yours as well.