• CLICK HERE To Join Broke Straight Boys & Instantly Get Full Access To Entire Site & 3 FREE bonus sites.

Happy Hanukkah

mikeyank

Long time forumite
Reaction score
Tonight begins the eight days known as "The Festival Of Lights" commemorating in the second century a small band of faithful but poorly armed Jews, led by Judah the Maccabee, defeated one of the mightiest armies on earth, drove the Greeks from the land, reclaimed the Holy Temple in Jerusalem and rededicated it to the service of G‑d.

When they sought to light the Temple's Menorah (the seven-branched candelabrum), they found only a single cruse of olive oil that had escaped contamination by the Greeks. Miraculously, they lit the menorah and the one-day supply of oil lasted for eight days, until new oil could be prepared under conditions of ritual purity. *

* (from https://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/102911/jewish/What-Is-Hanukkah.htm)

giphy.gif

wJik9231105.jpg

Whether you spell it Chanukah or Hanukkah, I wish a joyous holiday to all who celebrate it.

Happy Hanukkah, Mikeyank. My favorite food is the potato latke. My ex (who is Jewish) always ate them with applesauce and was surprised when I asked for sour cream. I figured that must have been the goyisha way of eating them but I see both on the plate above.

Happy Hanukkah, Mikeyank. My favorite food is the potato latke. My ex (who is Jewish) always ate them with applesauce and was surprised when I asked for sour cream. I figured that must have been the goyisha way of eating them but I see both on the plate above.

Happy Hanukkah...in my household, my mother always made Potato Pancakes (Potato Latke's) with apple sauce and we always had sour cream served with them...so not sure if that was a choice or not...but what is a potato latke without sour cream...delicious!!! Yummy!!!

Happy Hanukkah...in my household, my mother always made Potato Pancakes (Potato Latke's) with apple sauce and we always had sour cream served with them...so not sure if that was a choice or not...but what is a potato latke without sour cream...delicious!!! Yummy!!!

Your post is making me hungry! Happy Hanukkah!

Tonight begins the eight days known as "The Festival Of Lights" commemorating in the second century a small band of faithful but poorly armed Jews, led by Judah the Maccabee, defeated one of the mightiest armies on earth, drove the Greeks from the land, reclaimed the Holy Temple in Jerusalem and rededicated it to the service of G‑d.

When they sought to light the Temple's Menorah (the seven-branched candelabrum), they found only a single cruse of olive oil that had escaped contamination by the Greeks. Miraculously, they lit the menorah and the one-day supply of oil lasted for eight days, until new oil could be prepared under conditions of ritual purity. *

* (from https://www.chabad.org/holidays/chanukah/article_cdo/aid/102911/jewish/What-Is-Hanukkah.htm)

giphy.gif

wJik9231105.jpg

Whether you spell it Chanukah or Hanukkah, I wish a joyous holiday to all who celebrate it.

Your last sentence raises two questions: Why does the holiday have one spelling beginning with "Ch" and the other spelling beginning with "H"? Second, why does the "C" spelling have one "k" and the "H" spelling have two "k"s? However you spell it, enjoy!

Your last sentence raises two questions: Why does the holiday have one spelling beginning with "Ch" and the other spelling beginning with "H"? Second, why does the "C" spelling have one "k" and the "H" spelling have two "k"s? However you spell it, enjoy!
It is actually a Hebrew word, not spelled with the characters in the English language. And the "ch" sound is often pronounced like an H. Take the Yiddish word chutzpah which is pronounced in English as "hutzpa".

Getting back to this holiday, this is from dictionary.com.

"The right way to spell Hanukkah
The answer comes down to transliteration. Unlike translation, transliteration is when you “change (letters, words, etc.) into corresponding characters of another alphabet or language.” In Hebrew, the language from which the Jewish festival’s name originates, the word for Hanukkah is not easily transliterated into English. This accounts for why there are so many spelling variants (there are more than 20). But, Hanukkah and Chanukah are the two versions that are most widely used and accepted."

However you spell it, light your candles, spin your dreidels, eat your potato latkes and jelly doughnuts and enjoy!!!!!

It is actually a Hebrew word, not spelled with the characters in the English language. And the "ch" sound is often pronounced like an H. Take the Yiddish word chutzpah which is pronounced in English as "hutzpa".

Getting back to this holiday, this is from dictionary.com.

"The right way to spell Hanukkah
The answer comes down to transliteration. Unlike translation, transliteration is when you “change (letters, words, etc.) into corresponding characters of another alphabet or language.” In Hebrew, the language from which the Jewish festival’s name originates, the word for Hanukkah is not easily transliterated into English. This accounts for why there are so many spelling variants (there are more than 20). But, Hanukkah and Chanukah are the two versions that are most widely used and accepted."

However you spell it, light your candles, spin your dreidels, eat your potato latkes and jelly doughnuts and enjoy!!!!!

Thanks for the informative reply. So its kind of like the name Chiam being pronounced Hiam. A Court interpreter once told me that the debate over what is the best interpretation is between whether you translate literally or rather translate to what is being meant with the former sometimes changing the meaning of what was said. Transliteration sounds somewhat analogous to that. So enjoy your festive holiday however you spell it!

What Maringuy said!

Happy Hanukkah to all my friends in here of the faith. Please be safe leading up to the vaccines so we'll all be here to celebrate another Hanukkah and Christmas season next year. :angel2:

Happy Chanukah to all my fellow Jewish subscribers. I wish all members of Broke Straight Boys a warm and happy holiday season. There's light at the end of the tunnel, so please stay safe and healthy to enjoy all the happy memories we have yet to create.

I echo your sentiments Maringuy, Happy Chanukah!

Haven't been here in a while, but am glad I stopped by. I want to wish mikey and all my fellow forumites and members who are Jewish a Happy Hanukkah and hope all of you have had a joyful and blessed Festival of Lights.

I want to wish mikey and all my fellow forumites and members who are Jewish a Happy Hanukkah and hope all of you have had a joyful and blessed Festival of Lights.

What he said! haha

Nice to see you posting Stowe. :)

Haven't been here in a while, but am glad I stopped by. I want to wish mikey and all my fellow forumites and members who are Jewish a Happy Hanukkah and hope all of you have had a joyful and blessed Festival of Lights.
Thank you Stowe, my friend and the holiday is not over yet. Tonight at sundown begins the eighth and final day of Chanukah. Tonight all eight candles will burn!

giphy.gif

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.history.com%2F.image%2FMTY5MTE2NjA5ODU0NTgwMDAx%2Fhanukkah-gettyimages-157389389.jpg